Japanese Friendship GardenCurrently Closed
- Address: 2215 Pan American Rd E, San Diego, CA 92101, USA, 92101, United States
- Timings: 10:00 am - 06:00 pm Details
- Phone: +1-6192322721
- Fax: +1-6192320917
- Ticket Price: 8 USD
- Time Required: 01:00 Hrs
- Tags: Garden, Family And Kids, Exhibition , Social, Arts, Museums
Built in recognition of San Diego's relationship with its sister city, Yokohama, this 12 acre garden's oriental charm has been adapted to San Diego's climate. The garden was established during the during the 1915–16 Panama-California Exposition. All of the essential elements - stone garden, koi ponds, bonsai water arrangement, sukiya buildings - are present. The Tea Pavilion serves exquisite Japanese cuisine, tea and coffee. The community is quite active and frequently organises cultural programs, exhibits, and festivals. Special exhibitions are held inside the Inamori Pavilion.
- Wheelchair accessible.
- Not allowed: Food, drinks, smoking, pets, littering, feeding the koi.
- 3rd Tuesday of the month is free for San Diego Residents.
- Garden Only Tickets: $8 for adults; $7 for 65+, Student, Military; Free for under 6.
- Combo Tickets: $13 for adults; $12 for 65+, Student, Military; Free for under 6.
- Guided tours are free with ticket.
Last admission at 6:00 pm.
Free Tuesday hours, 10:00 am - 5:00 pm, last entry at 4:00 pm.
Check garden website for a schedule of upcoming early closing days.
- Monday-Friday: 10:30 am - 5:00 pm, last ticket sale at 4:00 pm
- Saturday and Sunday: 10:30 pm - 4:30 pm, last ticket sale at 3:30 pm
- Monday-Friday: 10:00 am - 7:00 pm
- Saturday-Sunday: 10:00 am - 5:00 pm
- Bus 3, 120 stop 5th Av & Laurel St
- Bus 7 stop Park Bl & Village Pl
Love this? Explore the entire list of things to do in San Diego before you plan your trip.
Fancy a good night's sleep after a tiring day? Check out where to stay in San Diego and book an accommodation of your choice.
0.95% of people who visit San Diego include Japanese Friendship Garden in their plan
09 AM - 10 AM
30% of people start their Japanese Friendship Garden visit around 09 AM - 10 AM
People usually take around 1 Hr to see Japanese Friendship Garden
75% of people prefer to travel by car while visiting Japanese Friendship Garden
Very beautiful park. I went there on a Monday before noon. It was calm and very zen. It was my first time and I liked. My favorite place was the river. It was really relaxing to listen to the water and watch the carp. All access was not available because they were under construction. I'll be back next year to discover more.
Scenery is amazing. Value of meals is worth it. The staff is kind and inviting. Fresh tea galore. I had the curry soup and would have it again. Be ready to strike a conversation with strangers. Love the experience, you will too.
If you're first time visitors in San Diego. This is a must see. Balboa Park has so much going on. Plenty of walking to do. Many museums some free and others are pay. But so worth it. Haven't seen them all but since were living here. More trips are planned.
It really is a nice garden. Loved the bonsai trees on display. To get to the lower garden you follow a downward path. Easy and safe going down. Depending on your physical situation, it can be a little strenuous coming back up but you can just take it slowly. The garden is well done and taken care of. I have been spoiled though by the Japanese Garden in Golden Gate Park in San Francisco. It is easier to walk and a much greener space. Still if you're in San Diego, it is worth visiting this garden.
Really peaceful garden. I had lots of fun enjoying nature. You almost forget that you are in a city. Lots of beautiful trees and they take good care of the garden. Perfect to bring the little one run around and enjoy nature as well.