You’ll notice how the different flowers glowing upon leaves of green compliment the hummingbirds. With their small bodies bejeweled with shining, colourful feathers, the almost glitter as they flit from nectar to nectar, their tiny wings a mere blurr and buzz. These little guys attract quite a number of visitors to Barney’s Hummingbird Garden every year, and if you go, you’ll see why.
It took Barney and his friends over 20 years to develop and grow the garden, through hurricanes, droughts and flash floods. Today, the garden is brimming with life, flowers, insects and birds coexisting harmoniously.
- You’ll see red hibiscus flowers shine like rubies atop well looked after trees and the white flowers of the Peruvian cactus. Pink and red hued flowers, petals unfurled, lie in wait for the stars of the garden, the hummingbirds.
- There are a multitude of different hummingbirds that visit the garden, most commonly the neon Red Billed Streamer Tail, the metallic hued Mango Quit and the second smallest hummingbird in the world, the Vervain. They flit and chirp as they feed every ten minutes in order to make up for their rapid metabolism. Just looking at their wings rapidly moving could make you feel tired! They trill and sip while eyeing you up and down, being the territorial little birds that they are. Barney keeps botteles of nectar on hand so that visitors can feed the birds by hand!
- Though you may only spot these birds 15 minutes apart from each other, their beauty and sweet antics are well worth it. Plus you’ll be surrounded by such beauty that you’ll definitely find other things to do while waiting. Those who love horticulture will find the garden a lot of fun to wander around and if you’re lucky, Barney might have some ice cold cocktails that you can treat yourself to. Carry your own bottle of water, especially during the summer months, wear a sun hat and explore Barney’s Hummingbird Garden and experience one of the most charming gardens to visit in Negril.
Barneys Humming Bird Garden Travel Tips
- Make sure you carry your own water.
- Protect yourself against the sun, especially if it’s summer.
- Try to call the owner ahead of your visit, you can get his number from most of the locals.
- Be prepared to stay for a while as the birds come and go as they please.
- There are no "amenities" here.
- It would be very helpful to have a printed copy of the map from Barney's website, which shows exactly where to go.
Barneys Humming Bird Garden Hours
- The recommended time to visit is at early morning.
How to Reach Barneys Humming Bird Garden
- Red taxis are the most convenient modes of transport in Negril.
- Annie’s (American, Caribbean, Dessert, Jamaican)
- Rick’s Cafe (Jamaican)
- Rock house Hotel (Jamaican, Seafood)
- Sips & Bites (American, Caribbean, Jamaican)
Love this? Explore the entire list of places to visit in Negril before you plan your trip.
Fancy a good night's sleep after a tiring day? Check out where to stay in Negril and book an accommodation of your choice.
79.16% of people who visit Negril include Barneys Humming Bird Garden in their plan
12 PM - 1 PM
27.66% of people start their Barneys Humming Bird Garden visit around 12 PM - 1 PM
People usually take around 1 Hr to see Barneys Humming Bird Garden
95% of people prefer to travel by car while visiting Barneys Humming Bird Garden