Quaint and secluded, the island of Booby Cay is a secluded delight that makes an ideal spot for water sport aficionados and picnic lovers amongst others. With great natural beauty, an abundance of peacefulness and untainted and turquoise water coupled with fair sands, this lovely little island is a Jamaican treasure.
This tiny island is just a little offshore from Jamaica and rose to fame when it was immortalized in the film adaptation of the Jules Verne’s classic ‘20,000 Leagues Under the Sea’. It’s also known as Gilligan’s Island, and it’s more popular moniker is courtesy of its most frequent inhabitants, the booby bird.
- You can embark on a ferry or a boat and sail across Jamaica’s spotless waters, perhaps participate in a bit of snorkelling or scuba diving. Take the plunge and view the rainbow colours of the coral reef and the hundreds of marine life that make their home here.
- Explore the wonders of the depths and see its treasures, like exotic little shells, little urchins and lots of starfish, and once you tire you can make your way onto the sandy steps of the beach.
- Dry off in the sun and relax, indulge in a tasty feast or play some beach games and as the sun begins to set, you can lay back and marvel at the natural beauty. These panoramic views of Negril are legendary and enough to make the entire journey a worthwhile expedition by themselves.
- You can explore the many trails that criss cross through the island waiting to be explored.
- There are numerous tours you can take which will let you explore underwater for hours, during day or night.
- You can set up a grill and indulge in some mouth-watering barbecued delicacies.
The best part about Booby Kay is that it’s so undisturbed that you’re bound to have an exceptional day with your family and friends on your own little private beach. Pack your swimsuits, goggles pretend you’re an adventurer from a Verne’s classic as you make your way around and under this special little island.
Booby Cay Island Travel Tips
- Try the lobster.
- You can commission a glass bottomed boat for the most picturesque journey.
- There are scuba diving equipment and snorkeling equipment stores on the beach.
How to Reach Booby Cay Island
- Red taxis are the most convenient modes of transport in Negril.
- Don Fresh Lobsters (Seafood)
- Cosmo’s (Caribbean)
- Cheap Thrill Corner (Caribbean)
- Jimmy’s Buffet Margaritaville Negril (American, Caribbean, Hamburgers, Seafood)
Love this? Explore the entire list of places to visit in Negril before you plan your trip.
Fancy a good night's sleep after a tiring day? Check out where to stay in Negril and book an accommodation of your choice.
95% of people who visit Negril include Booby Cay Island in their plan
3 PM - 4 PM
29.17% of people start their Booby Cay Island visit around 3 PM - 4 PM
People usually take around 30 Minutes to see Booby Cay Island
95% of people prefer to travel by car while visiting Booby Cay Island