A little over an hour’s drive away from Nelson lies this spelunker’s delight. A long rugged walk once you’re off the highway leads you past stunning marble formations and old riverbeds till at the end of it, you stand at the entrance to Harwood’s Hole. This is no place for amateurs; the area is surrounded by sharp limestone formations and the hole (which you cannot see into directly) is 50 metres across, with a 176 metre vertical drop. The cave does have it’s own network; it’s connected to Starlight Cave, which is the exit point for people wishing to explore this system. Abseiling into the cave is thrilling experience, but only if you have prior experience in abseiling. For those xoming with young children, it is sufficient o to just walk up to the hole and back
Harwoods Hole Walk Travel Tips
- Carpark before the trail has toilet facilities.
- We recommend taking an experienced guide.
- The shaft in not fenced!
- Do not approach the place without and experienced guide if you haven’t been here before.
- The cave had many natural dangers and must be researched extensively by anyone planning to explore it.
How to Reach Harwoods Hole Walk
- Getting there: From Nelson, drive up Highway No. 60, past Motueka, up Takaka Hill Highway, till you take a right into Canaan Road, a narrow, winding road that will lead you to Canaan Carpark (an extensive clearing).
Love this? Explore the entire list of places to visit in Nelson before you plan your trip.
Fancy a good night's sleep after a tiring day? Check out where to stay in Nelson and book an accommodation of your choice.
64.83% of people who visit Nelson include Harwoods Hole Walk in their plan
3 PM - 4 PM
47.37% of people start their Harwoods Hole Walk visit around 3 PM - 4 PM
People usually take around 30 Minutes to see Harwoods Hole Walk
95% of people prefer to travel by car while visiting Harwoods Hole Walk