Harwoods Hole Walk, Nelson
About Harwoods Hole Walk, Nelson
Harwoods Hole Walk, Nelson - Address
Address: Takaka Hill, New Zealand
Timings: 24-hrs Details
Added 7K times in trip plans
Outdoors, Cave, Hiking Trail, Family And Kids, Adventure
Try TripHobo to create your itinerary
Are you associated with this business? Get in touch
A little over an hour’s drive away from Nelson lies this spelunker’s delight. A long rugged walk once you’re off the highway leads you past stunning marble formations and old riverbeds till at the end of it, you stand at the entrance to Harwood’s Hole. This is no place for amateurs; the area is surrounded by sharp limestone formations and the hole (which you cannot see into directly) is 50 metres across, with a 176 metre vertical drop. The cave does have it’s own network; it’s connected to Starlight Cave, which is the exit point for people wishing to explore this system. Abseiling into the cave is thrilling experience, but only if you have prior experience in abseiling. For those xoming with young children, it is sufficient o to just walk up to the hole and back
Harwoods Hole Walk Information
- Carpark before the trail has toilet facilities.
- We recommend taking an experienced guide.
- The shaft in not fenced!
- Do not approach the place without and experienced guide if you haven’t been here before.
- The cave had many natural dangers and must be researched extensively by anyone planning to explore it.
How To reach Harwoods Hole Walk by Public Transport
- Getting there: From Nelson, drive up Highway No. 60, past Motueka, up Takaka Hill Highway, till you take a right into Canaan Road, a narrow, winding road that will lead you to Canaan Carpark (an extensive clearing).
Love this? Explore the entire list of things to do in Nelson before you plan your trip.
Fancy a good night's sleep after a tiring day? Check out where to stay in Nelson and book an accommodation of your choice.
Harwoods Hole Walk, Nelson Reviews - Write a Review
- Nearby Attractions
- The Boat Shed Cafe
- Murchison Golf Club
- Theatre Royal Nelson
- Dance To The Music Of Time
- Waipara Road
- Lake Rotoiti
- Hans Herzog
- Nelson Day-wise Trips
- What to See in 24 Hours in Nelson
- What to See in 48 Hours in Nelson
- What to See in 72 Hours in Nelson
- How to Spend 5 Days in Nelson
- How to Spend 6 Days in Nelson
- How to Spend 7 Days in Nelson