St. Mary's Assumption Church3 Votes Currently Closed
- Address: 923 Josephine St, New Orleans, LA 70130, United States
- Timings: 08:30 am - 02:30 pm Details
- Phone: +1-5045226748
- Time Required: 00:30 Mins
- Tags: Church, Religious Site, Family And Kids, Cathedral
Located in the Lower Garden District, the St. Mary's Assumption was completed in 1860 to serve the German Catholic immigrant population. Today, the ornately designed church also serves as the shrine and museum for Blessed Francis Xavier Seelos who contracted the yellow fever while helping during the plague.
The church has been damaged by Hurricane Betsy in 1965 and Hurricane in 2005 and was restored to preserve its German Baroque Revival architecture and the 1861 Simmons and Wilcox organ- that is a highlight of the church.
Entrance Ticket Details For St. Mary's Assumption Church
- Entry is free.
St. Mary's Assumption Church Hours
Weekend Mass Schedule:
- Saturday Vigil: 4:00 p.m (at St. Mary’s Assumption Church on 1923 Josephine St, New Orleans-LA).
- Sunday: 9:00 a.m (at St. Mary’s Chapel on 1516 Jackson Avenue, New Orleans-LA); 10:30 a.m (at St. Mary’s Assumption Church on 1923 Josephine St, New Orleans-LA).
Weekday Mass Schedule:
- Monday-Friday 7:00 a.m (at St. Mary’s Chapel on 1516 Jackson Avenue, New Orleans-LA); 8:00 a.m (at Parish Office Chapel on 2030 Constance St, New Orleans-LA).
- Saturday 8:00 a.m (at Parish Office Chapel on 2030 Constance St, New Orleans-LA).
Holy Day of Obligation Schedule:
- Holy Day Vigil: 6 p.m.
- On the day: 7:00 a.m and 8:00 a.m.
For other hours, visit the official website.
How to Reach St. Mary's Assumption Church
- By Bus: Jackson at Constance
- By Tram:St Charles at Josephine
- By renting a Car/ Bike.
- By Taxi
Love this? Explore the entire list of places to visit in New Orleans before you plan your trip.
Fancy a good night's sleep after a tiring day? Check out where to stay in New Orleans and book an accommodation of your choice.
St. Mary's Assumption Church Reviews & Ratings
I Love.😊 everything about it. People are not loud so i can meditate. The Gothic architecture is greatly preserve and worth to look at. You ought to visit. Thanks.
This church is breathtaking. Especially the "German style" altar. We go to Latin Mass back home in TX. I wish our church was as beautiful. It would definitely go with the amazing Latin liturgy.
This has the shrine and tomb of Blessed Xavier Silos who has been credited with several healings.
Amazing environment, program, talent, acoustics and devoted volunteers. A special event at a bargain price Life in the Irish channel at its finest.
Beautiful and historic church in the Irish Channel of New Orleans.