Newark is the largest city in the state of New Jersey in the United States. If you are looking for a city that has all the modern amenities and a hippie feel to it like of a prime city but at a cheaper price, then Newark is the right place to be in. Adorned by skyscrapers that touch the sky, the amazing skyline of Newark is something that looks totally mesmerizing, especially during the nights when the city is all lit up. Although Newark is predominantly American, the city also has Portuguese, Spanish, and Brazilian cultural influences making it one of the diverse places to be in. If you are a nightlife lover, then Newark will come in a treat to you, as it has plenty of party places with grooving music which you can dance to.
Rush into the New Jersey Performing Arts Center to catch a live Jazz concert show that is totally one of kind of experience and is off the roof. If you are into history and arts, then you should explore the informative Newark Museum that has a collection of fine arts. Seek the blessings of the divine at the Cathedral Basilica of the Sacred Heart. For a wonderful family time head to the Verona Park that has its own boathouse. Explore the community of Ironbound that has settlements of Portuguese and Spanish for a totally diverse experience.
Given the borderline humid tropical and continental climate, Newark experiences hot & humid summers and cold & damp winters. And while you are planning a trip to Newark, try planning during the Cherry Blossom Festival, Lincoln Park Music Festival, and Portugal Day Festival. Involving in any one of the local festivals make the trip even special.
The biggest city in New Jersey state is Newark. Located in close proximity to New York, the city of Newark is home to its own bustling commercial district. It is also home to several universities and other institutions, leading to the formation of a thriving population here. An important feature of the architecture in Newark is the Beaux-Arts style of construction. This can be seen at the Newark Museum, the Public Library and the Essex County Courthouse. Newark has had skyscrapers from as early as 1930s. Check out the American and Tibetan exhibits in the Newark Museum. Also, visited frequently is the Jewish Museum of New Jersey. Nature lovers cannot miss the Branch Brook Park, home of the largest collection of cherry blossoms in the America. Take some time out for a culturally rich experience on a holiday in Newark.
Essential travel information and Newark tips for your visit
- Time Zone - Eastern Standard Time (EST). UTC/GMT -5hours.
- Currency - Currency used in Newark is US Dollars (USD).
- Electricity - The standard electrical voltage in Newark is 120 Volts and 60 Hertz alternating current. The power sockets used are of type A and B. Check your electrical devices for their voltage consumption and use adapters if necessary.
- Internet - Almost all the hotels in Newark provide free Wi-Fi connectivity and there are free Wi-Fi hotspots throughout the city, especially in the major public spots.
- Languages - American English is the most widely spoken language in Newark. Apart from English, Spanish and French are some of the other languages spoken in Newark.
- Security - General Emergency: 911, Police Department: 973-733-6190, Fire Department: 973-733-7466.
- Tipping - Tipping is expected in Newark. It is advisable to tip around 15-20% of the pre-tax bill.
- Customs - Be on time, because the Americans are very serious about punctuality. And be wary of your surroundings. Cleanliness and hygiene are much expected.
- Be sure to look after your belongings. Especially, when you are walking alone in the nights.
- Avoid taking the subway during the nights.
Newark Trip Planner
Plan your customized day by day trip plan for Newark. Choose from various experinces categories as adventure, romantic and family and kids friendly for your trip using using Newark trip planner.
The best tours and activities in the city, guided by experts to give you a local insight to the best of Newark
Newark Liberty International Airport (EWR)
1 Hr17 Reviews
New York Airport Luxury Transfer : Newark Airport to New York CityNew on TripHobo
1 Hr 30 Mins
Paramus Indoor Skydiving Experience with 2 Flights & Personalized Certificate
1 Hr 15 Mins12 Reviews
Westchester Indoor Skydiving Admission with 2 Flights & Personalized Certificate
1 Hr 15 Mins13 Reviews
Private Transfer: Newark Airport EWR to New York in Luxury SUV
40 Mins4 Reviews