Fort Scratchley Historic Site614 Votes Currently Open
- Address: Fort Scratchley Historic Site , Nobbys Road, Newcastle East NSW 2300, Australia
- Timings: 10:00 am - 04:00 pm Details
- Phone: +61- 249293066
- Ticket Price: 15 AUD
- Time Required: 02:00 Hrs
- Tags: Historical Site, War Memorial, Family And Kids, Fort, Military Area
To avoid any surprise attack from the Russians during the Crimean War, the Australians built a series of forts along the shoreline. One such military fort was Fort Scratchley, which never actually fired a shot in until 1942 during a forgotten confrontation during WWII, when a Japanese submarine surfaced and opened fire on the city. The Australians retaliated and within 4 rounds, there wasn’t a submarine to speak off. The fort was occupied by the Australian Army till 1972 after which it was declared a historic site.
Entrance Ticket Details For Fort Scratchley Historic Site
- Adults- $15 (Full Site), $ 12 (Tunnels only)
- Children 4-14 years (<4 yrs Free)- $7.50 (Full Site), $ 6 (Tunnels only)
- Family (2 adults/2 children)- $37.50 (Full Site), $ 30 (Tunnels only)
- Concession- $8 (Full Site), $7 (Tunnels only)
Fort Scratchley Historic Site Hours
- Last tour is at 2:30 PM.
- BWP Queens Wharf (Australian cuisine)
- Scottie's (seafood recommended)
- Jonah's On The Beach (Australian cuisine)
Love this? Explore the entire list of places to visit in Newcastle before you plan your trip.
Fancy a good night's sleep after a tiring day? Check out where to stay in Newcastle and book an accommodation of your choice.
95% of people who visit Newcastle include Fort Scratchley Historic Site in their plan
09 AM - 10 AM
92.08% of people start their Fort Scratchley Historic Site visit around 09 AM - 10 AM
People usually take around 2 Hrs to see Fort Scratchley Historic Site
85.71% of people prefer to travel by car while visiting Fort Scratchley Historic Site