Fort Scratchley Historic SiteCurrently Open [Closes at 04:00 pm]
- Address: Fort Scratchley Historic Site , Nobbys Road, Newcastle East NSW 2300, Australia
- Timings: 10:00 am - 04:00 pm Details
- Phone: +61- 249293066
- Ticket Price: 15 AUD
- Time Required: 02:00 Hrs
- Tags: Historical Site, War Memorial, Family And Kids, Fort, Military Area
Fort Scratchley Historic Site - Review
To avoid any surprise attack from the Russians during the Crimean War, the Australians built a series of forts along the shoreline. One such military fort was Fort Scratchley, which never actually fired a shot in until 1942 during a forgotten confrontation during WWII, when a Japanese submarine surfaced and opened fire on the city. The Australians retaliated and within 4 rounds, there wasn’t a submarine to speak off. The fort was occupied by the Australian Army till 1972 after which it was declared a historic site.
Fort Scratchley Historic Site Ticket Prices
- Adults- $15 (Full Site), $ 12 (Tunnels only)
- Children 4-14 years (<4 yrs Free)- $7.50 (Full Site), $ 6 (Tunnels only)
- Family (2 adults/2 children)- $37.50 (Full Site), $ 30 (Tunnels only)
- Concession- $8 (Full Site), $7 (Tunnels only)
Fort Scratchley Historic Site Opening and Closing Hours
- Last tour is at 2:30 PM.
Restaurants Near Fort Scratchley Historic Site
- BWP Queens Wharf (Australian cuisine)
- Scottie's (seafood recommended)
- Jonah's On The Beach (Australian cuisine)
Love this? Explore the entire list of things to do in Newcastle before you plan your trip.
Fancy a good night's sleep after a tiring day? Check out where to stay in Newcastle and book an accommodation of your choice.
Things to Know Before Visiting Fort Scratchley Historic Site
95% of people who visit Newcastle include Fort Scratchley Historic Site in their plan
09 AM - 10 AM
84.13% of people start their Fort Scratchley Historic Site visit around 09 AM - 10 AM
People usually take around 2 Hrs to see Fort Scratchley Historic Site
94.64% of people prefer to travel by car while visiting Fort Scratchley Historic Site
Fort Scratchley Historic Site Map
Fort Scratchley Historic Site Trips
Fort Scratchley Historic Site, Newcastle Reviews
Well worth the visit, important place in our history, dedicated and friendly volunteers work tirelessly to keep the place restored and educate the public. Family friendly, pram and wheel chair friendly. Free to get in but you can donate loose change to help them keep the place open and safe for public entry. Every little bit helps. I learnt so much here and I will return. The view is spectacular and they do scheduled tours.
Every day at 1300 there is an old cannon firing show. It takes a while to wait till the old guys in uniforms get their stuff ready to shoot but it's worth an effort. Plus - beautiful views from the different sides. There is a local store with some military toys, children love them, or a tour in the tunnels
We had a great time. Took the tunnel tour which was fascinating. The guides know so much of the history. We will definitely be returning. Amazing views of Newcastle and the coast.
2nd visit to this lovely fort. Took our toddler and he loved it, fairly pram friendly with ramp access to most things. It's great that it is free to do a self guided tour and watch the gun being fired at 1pm. Tours of the tunnels are available for a small cost however not recommend for toddlers. The guides are a wealth of knowledge and very friendly and approachable. An added bonus of having some of the best views (if not the best!) Over the port and beaches - great for watching ships coming in and out. Plenty of free parking. I would recommend this when visiting new castle.
Being school holidays and had grandchildren thought what can we do so of we went to Fort Scratchley what a wonderful experience the children thoughly enjoy experience cannons area to be able to run around and exhibition overlook the ocean great place well done to all staff at Fort well done keep up good work
All QuestionsFort scratchley historic site
- Murrayville United Methodist Church
- Double L Quarter Horses
- Murrayville Baptist Church
- Murrayville United Methodist Parsonage
- Sandy Creek Baptist Assoc
- Murrayville House Of Prayer
- Little Egypt Woodmen Camp
- Faith Church Of God
- St Paul's Lutheran Church-Missouri Synod
- Calvary Southern Baptist Church
- West Frankfort Bowl
- Depot Veterans Memorial & Coal Miner's Memorial
- Third Baptist Church
- Harmony Freewill Baptist Church
- Strawberry Meadows