Victoria TunnelCurrently Closed
- Address: Arch 6, Stepney Bank | Ouseburn Valley, Newcastle upon Tyne NE1 2NP, England, United Kingdom
- Timings: 10:30 am - 03:00 pm Details
- Phone: +44-1912616596
- Ticket Price: 6 GBP
- Time Required: 02:30 Hrs
- Tags: Historical Site, Family And Kids, Tunnel
Victoria Tunnel - Review
Historically, this 2.5 mile wagonway tunnel from the Town Moor to the Tyne is one of the most intriguing places in the city. It was built to transport coal, but during WWII, became an important bomb-raid shelter for over 9000 locals. The only way to visit is by guided tour, but that’s also the best way to visit. Each tour is a production of light and sound full of fantastic effects – they recreate the history of the tunnel for you.
Victoria Tunnel Information
- Visit the attraction website or call the Ouseburn Trust for more information about the guided tour.
- Treat the guides respectfully – they are volunteers and are not paid for the job.
- Wear sturdy footwear – the tunnel is damp and muddy. Also it’s cool, so wear a light jacket.
- Animals not allowed.
- Paid Parking in the arches under Byker Bridge (bottom of Stepney Bank).
- Ouseburn Central Car Park (behind Seven Stories) is free.
- No toilets at the tunnel.
Victoria Tunnel Ticket Prices
- GBP 3 for under 12.
- Free for under 5.
- If paying during the visit, pay by cash only.
Victoria Tunnel Hours
- Thursdays at 6.30 pm
- Friday at 10.30 am and 1.30 pm
- Saturday at 10.00 am and 1.00 pm
- Monday and Wednesday (during holidays only) at 10.00 am and 1.00 pm
- The mobility challenged can only take on the short, 60 minute tour.
How To reach Victoria Tunnel by Public Transport
- Buses 12, 29, 40, 91 stop New Bridge Street-Blackfriars.
Love this? Explore the entire list of things to do in Newcastle Upon Tyne before you plan your trip.
Fancy a good night's sleep after a tiring day? Check out where to stay in Newcastle Upon Tyne and book an accommodation of your choice.
Things to Know Before Visiting Victoria Tunnel
58.38% of people who visit Newcastle Upon Tyne include Victoria Tunnel in their plan
10 AM - 11 AM
90.91% of people start their Victoria Tunnel visit around 10 AM - 11 AM
2 Hrs 30 Minutes
People usually take around 2 Hrs 30 Minutes to see Victoria Tunnel
80.95% of people prefer walking in order to reach Victoria Tunnel