The WedgeCurrently Open
- Address: Newport Beach, CA 92661, USA, United States
- Timings: 24-hrs Details
- Time Required: 05:00 Hrs
- Tags: Family And Kids
Located on the eastern edge of the Balboa Peninsula, the Wedge is popular for its high waves that beckon surfers from all around the world. The most famous reference of this place is in “Endless Summer” that captured the lives of surfers Michael Hynson and Robert August.
Currently, the place has the biggest waves in southern California with a recorded height of around 30-feet! The big waves demand professional surfers and more often than not you can see some of the most skilled and talented body surfers here during your visit! The history of the Wedge goes back to 1916 when a jetty was built extending from the peninsula to protect the Newport Harbor. In 1936, the jetty was extended from 1000 to 1900 feet but it was not until the 1960’s when the place got its current name (although its was a famous spot during the 1930’s too).
However, if surfing is not your thing, come here to take a walk along the jetty and to admire the view of the gorgeous blue waters of the Pacific ocean and its majestic waves. The place is also a famous photography spot!
The Wedge Travel Tips
- You will need to carry your own surf boards and swimming costumes along with other necessary things.
- Carry bottled drinking water and make sure you avoid surfing at night. You can refer to local climate news for safety reasons.
The Wedge Hours
- you can take a walk around the place any time of the day..
Hours for surfing:
- November 1- April 30: Open daily from 6.00 am – 11.00 pm.
- May 1 and October 31: Any type of board at the Wedge between the hours of 10.00 am and 5.00 pm is not allowed (Body surfing only, no body boards, surfboards or skimboards).
- The best months to catch high surf are during the Summer and Fall months.
How to Reach The Wedge
- By Bus: Balboa-Adams (2.1 kilometres away)
- By renting a Car/ Bike
- By hiring a Yellow Cab Taxi
Love this? Explore the entire list of places to visit in Newport Beach before you plan your trip.
Fancy a good night's sleep after a tiring day? Check out where to stay in Newport Beach and book an accommodation of your choice.