Place MassenaCurrently Open
- Address: Place Massena, 06000 Nice, France Map
- Timings: 10:00 am - 06:00 pm Details
- Ticket Price: 65 EUR
- Time Required: 02:00 Hrs
- Tags: Walking Area, Statue, Square, Family And Kids, Architecture , Fountain
The Place Massena is a real adornation of the city of Nice. It is the heritage site which bears the mementoes of barrister Edward Scoffier carrying out his work, along with with Felix Bianchi, the Consiglio of Ornato. Since its progressive construction begun in the years 1820-1830, the Massena has reflected deep integrity rooted with the heritage of Nice. On the south side of the square, in the heart of the old place Charles-Albert, is the wonderful architecture of the "Fountain of the Sun", which was inaugurated in 1956. On it are placed five bronze statues which were sculpted by Alfred Janniot. The creations of the world-renowned architect characterize the importance for the Riviera city beautification through the construction of the Place Massena.
All characters from Greek and Roman mythology are represented- namely, Earth, Mars, Venus, Mercury and Saturn. At the center of the fountain, a marble statue of Apollo measuring seven meters high is also situated. A controversial statue was moved over to the sports park Charles Ehrmann in 1970, officially because of a possible reflection of nudity that could offend the visitors. Other statues were removed in 1990 for restoration and the fountain was stopped operating for sealing purposes.
One of the most cherished heritage sites in Nice, the Place Massena is visited by a huge number of tourists, every year. With some wonderful architecture and well maintained fountain and gardens, the Place Massena makes up for an eye pleasing experience. The Place Massena tickets are free of charge but there is another option of the Place Massena tours. The Place Massena tour tickets are available at a very affordable price and hence you can take the Place Massena tours for a guided exploration.
Place Massena Travel Tips
- However, very recently, after the renovations of the exterior coating of the place and its transformation with the passage of tramlines, the statue of Apollo was re-established on 20 June 2011, and the prestigious fountain was also renovated and restored.
How to Reach Place Massena
- Place Massena
- La locanda
- Le Comptoir du Marche
- Le Dauphin Nicois
Love this? Explore the entire list of places to visit in Nice before you plan your trip.
Fancy a good night's sleep after a tiring day? Check out where to stay in Nice and book an accommodation of your choice.
- Place Massena Address: Place Massena, 06000 Nice, France
- Place Massena Timing: 10:00 am - 06:00 pm
- Place Massena Price: 65 EUR
- Time required to visit Place Massena: 02:00 Hrs
- Try the best online travel planner to plan your travel itinerary!
13.06% of people who visit Nice include Place Massena in their plan
12 PM - 1 PM
44.44% of people start their Place Massena visit around 12 PM - 1 PM
People usually take around 2 Hrs to see Place Massena
79.03% of people prefer to travel by car while visiting Place Massena
People normally club together Parc Phoenix and B Spot while planning their visit to Place Massena.