Northampton is a quaint, country-town located in the East Midlands of England. Situated at a distance of 67 miles north-west of the city of London, Northampton lies on the banks of River Nene. One of the largest and oldest town in the United Kingdom, Northampton has archaeological evidence of human settlements that dates back this town to the Bronze Age, Roman and Anglo-Saxon periods. After the establishment of the Northampton Castle, an occasional royal residence and regularly hosted the Parliament of England, this city rose to national significance. By the end of the English Civil War, the royal connection to Northampton Castle became less significant, thus limiting its growth. Since the turn of the Millennium, Northampton has continued to grow in the fields of architecture, education, science, and health care.
Home to some of the best markets, theatre complex, commercial cinemas, pubs, bars and clubs, libraries, museums and galleries, sport complexes, preserved round churches, media houses, and wonderful buildings like The Holy Sepulchre, Northampton Castle, All Saints' Church, Northampton Cathedral, Northampton Guildhall and the Express Lift Tower, tourism in Northampton sees its peak during the summer season. The city is well-connected and has a good range of accommodation options for anyone visiting Northampton.
Essential travel information and Northampton tips for your visit
- Time zone: Greenwich Mean Time (UTC0) and Summer (Daylight saving time) British Summer Time (UTC+1)
- Region: East Midlands
- Currency: Pound sterling (GBP)
- Electricity: The electrical supply in Northampton is 230v 50hz
- Languages: English
- Internet: 3G and 4G services are widely available. Most public places and
- Security: All traveller travelling to Northampton are advised to keep their valuables in the hotel safe. Club brawls are observed over the weekends, and hence the travellers are advised not to venture into unknown areas during late hours.
- Closest Airports: London Luton Airport, Birmingham Airport & East Midlands Airport
- Tipping: It is customary to leave 10-12% of the bill when eating outside.
- What to wear: While the city of Northampton receives rainfall/snowfall on most days of the month, it is always advisable to carry an umbrella. Usually a cold city, kindly check the weather before visiting Northampton and carry clothes accordingly.
The best tours and activities in the city, guided by experts to give you a local insight to the best of Northampton
Save 7%London: Mobile WiFi Unlimited 4G Internet in UK & the EUNew on TripHobo
Save 5%Signature Thai traditional healing treatmentNew on TripHobo