Fruska Gora Monasteries, Novi Sad
Fruska Gora Monasteries, Novi Sad - Address
Address: Novi Sad, Serbia.
Time Required: 05:00 Hrs
Timings: 24-hrs Details
Added 1.6K times in trip plans
Cave, Forest, Village, Tourist Center, Family And Kids, Lake, Nature
Try TripHobo to create your itinerary
Are you associated with this business? Get in touch
About Fruska Gora Monasteries, Novi Sad
The long lost Serbian monasteries up at the Fruska Gora Mountains are a legend. Dated from as far back as 15th century, once upon a time there were about 35 monasteries of which only 16 are preserved now. Some of them are:
- Monastery Krusedol is one of the oldest among the lot and was built around 1509 and 1512 by the Brankovic family. It suffered a great damage in 1716 but was restored later. There are relics dedicated to the Brankovic family kept inside.
- Novo Hopovo monastery is one of the most beautiful monasteries with its bright yellow shade. Built in 1541 the Turks had destroyed it at a later time but it was rebuilt. During the seventeenth century, the monastery Novo Hopovo was the educational and cultural center of the Serbs, and for a while it was the center of the diocese.
- Monastery Grgeteg is older than Krusedol, perhaps the oldest, built in 1471 by despot Vuk Brankovic.
Other than these monasteries there are farms, villages, lakes, mountains, caves, dense oak and maple forests all of which add to the charm of this place. Nowhere else perhaps you may find a more serene natural environment as the one up in Fruska Gora.
Fruska Gora Monasteries Information
- The place will take a good 10 hours if you wish to see all the highlights.
Fruska Gora Monasteries Opening and Closing Hours
- Individual monasteries are not always open. Do call before hand and check.
How To reach Fruska Gora Monasteries by Public Transport
By Bus, board from Novi Sad bus station:
- 72 Paragovo – Go to the last stop. Glavica peak is the start of several marked hiking trails.
- 74 Popovica – Get off the bus at the last stop and follow the path through the woods to get to a small lake in the meadow.
- 78 Beocin Selo – Get off the bus at the last stop. Reach the Beocin Monastery, a path leading to Crveni Cot.
Love this? Explore the entire list of things to do in Novi Sad before you plan your trip.
Fancy a good night's sleep after a tiring day? Check out where to stay in Novi Sad and book an accommodation of your choice.
Fruska Gora Monasteries, Novi Sad Reviews
A lovely and peaceful place, great to enjoy nature and a number of old monasteries. You can truly feel the story and traditions. Novi Sad is a small drive away, vibrant town by the Danube.
One of the best Nacional parks in this area! Has many lovely walking and hiking tracks, places with a view, and mountain huts to rest. Do not miss it if you are a nature lover.
Fresh air, at winter is not very cold. Nice family restaurants. Truck and bus stops there for hot meals at summer cold drinks... ☺
Fresh air! Nice view! Hospitable people! Easy to find! Everytime when I travel to Novi Sad I make small break and enjoy time outside! #visitserbia #cleannature
Fruška Gora National Park is beautiful place to visit and for relaxation as well. I would recommend it to everyone who is traveling through this part of Europe to visit this place and especially Serbian Orthodox Church Monasteries. Also you can find many of vineyards and Cellars to taste one of the best wines in the region.