Fruska Gora MonasteriesCurrently Open
- Address: Novi Sad, Serbia.
- Timings: 24-hrs Details
- Ticket Price: Free
- Time Required: 05:00 Hrs
- Tags: Cave, Forest, Village, Tourist Center, Family And Kids, Lake, Nature
Fruska Gora Monasteries - Review
The long lost Serbian monasteries up at the Fruska Gora Mountains are a legend. Dated from as far back as 15th century, once upon a time there were about 35 monasteries of which only 16 are preserved now. Some of them are:
- Monastery Krusedol is one of the oldest among the lot and was built around 1509 and 1512 by the Brankovic family. It suffered a great damage in 1716 but was restored later. There are relics dedicated to the Brankovic family kept inside.
- Novo Hopovo monastery is one of the most beautiful monasteries with its bright yellow shade. Built in 1541 the Turks had destroyed it at a later time but it was rebuilt. During the seventeenth century, the monastery Novo Hopovo was the educational and cultural center of the Serbs, and for a while it was the center of the diocese.
- Monastery Grgeteg is older than Krusedol, perhaps the oldest, built in 1471 by despot Vuk Brankovic.
Other than these monasteries there are farms, villages, lakes, mountains, caves, dense oak and maple forests all of which add to the charm of this place. Nowhere else perhaps you may find a more serene natural environment as the one up in Fruska Gora.
Fruska Gora Monasteries Information
- The place will take a good 10 hours if you wish to see all the highlights.
Fruska Gora Monasteries Opening and Closing Hours
- Individual monasteries are not always open. Do call before hand and check.
How To reach Fruska Gora Monasteries by Public Transport
By Bus, board from Novi Sad bus station:
- 72 Paragovo – Go to the last stop. Glavica peak is the start of several marked hiking trails.
- 74 Popovica – Get off the bus at the last stop and follow the path through the woods to get to a small lake in the meadow.
- 78 Beocin Selo – Get off the bus at the last stop. Reach the Beocin Monastery, a path leading to Crveni Cot.
Love this? Explore the entire list of things to do in Novi Sad before you plan your trip.
Fancy a good night's sleep after a tiring day? Check out where to stay in Novi Sad and book an accommodation of your choice.
Things to Know Before Visiting Fruska Gora Monasteries
95% of people who visit Novi Sad include Fruska Gora Monasteries in their plan
08 AM - 09 AM
55.38% of people start their Fruska Gora Monasteries visit around 08 AM - 09 AM
People usually take around 5 Hrs to see Fruska Gora Monasteries
94.73% of people prefer to travel by car while visiting Fruska Gora Monasteries
Fruska Gora Monasteries Map
Fruska Gora Monasteries Trips
Fruska Gora Monasteries, Novi Sad Reviews
Great place for hiking, mountainbiking, picnics and other activities. Don't miss visiting a few of the many orthodox christian monasteries as well.
I went to the lake, but it has in a private area. I did not enter. I am not too glad
It's one of the best place in Vojvodina. Ideal for hikers, bikers, or if you just want to relax with your friends. Nature at it's best. You should definetely visit this national park.
So close to city and so far away from it. National park is beautiful and my favorite part of Novi Sad. You have to visit it and feel the calm and nature. But it is so much more, it has so many monuments and history in it. Maybe the best one is the monument of famous serbian poet Branko Radicevic. The walk to there is trough woods and when You get up there the view is amazing and so peacful. And then monestries evrywhere you go you will find one,and the calm and peace you find there is so refreshing that you will want to come again. Only food and restourans are not so often here, but you are in nature. Maybe the best way is to find some place where mountain hikers often go,the best food and service is there.
Fruska gora is close to Novi Sad, easiest way to get to trails is to drive to Popovica which is around 15 minutes away from Novi Sad. Trails are marked so it is really hard to get lost 😀. Fruska gora is popular on weekends when people are getting here for some nice walks in the nature. It is also popular place to do BBQ with friends.
All QuestionsFruska gora monasteries
- Pieve Di Santa Maria
- Parrocchia Maria Rosario
- Chiesa Di San Supero A Portiglione
- Porta Senese
- Camping Baia Dei Gabbiani
- Pieve Di San Giovanni Ad Alma
- Parrocchia Madonna Delle Grazie A. Abitazione Parroco
- Ente Diocesano Salvezza Educazione Gioventu Edseg
- Oratorio San Filippo Neri
- BLA-Biblioteca Ludoteca Archivio
- Cinema Teatro Primavera
- Ceramiche Valpanaro Candia SPA
- Style SRL