Fruska Gora MonasteriesCurrently Open
- Address: Novi Sad, Serbia.
- Timings: 24-hrs Details
- Ticket Price: Free
- Time Required: 05:00 Hrs
- Tags: Cave, Forest, Village, Tourist Center, Family And Kids, Lake, Nature
Fruska Gora Monasteries - Review
The long lost Serbian monasteries up at the Fruska Gora Mountains are a legend. Dated from as far back as 15th century, once upon a time there were about 35 monasteries of which only 16 are preserved now. Some of them are:
- Monastery Krusedol is one of the oldest among the lot and was built around 1509 and 1512 by the Brankovic family. It suffered a great damage in 1716 but was restored later. There are relics dedicated to the Brankovic family kept inside.
- Novo Hopovo monastery is one of the most beautiful monasteries with its bright yellow shade. Built in 1541 the Turks had destroyed it at a later time but it was rebuilt. During the seventeenth century, the monastery Novo Hopovo was the educational and cultural center of the Serbs, and for a while it was the center of the diocese.
- Monastery Grgeteg is older than Krusedol, perhaps the oldest, built in 1471 by despot Vuk Brankovic.
Other than these monasteries there are farms, villages, lakes, mountains, caves, dense oak and maple forests all of which add to the charm of this place. Nowhere else perhaps you may find a more serene natural environment as the one up in Fruska Gora.
Fruska Gora Monasteries Information
- The place will take a good 10 hours if you wish to see all the highlights.
Fruska Gora Monasteries Hours
- Individual monasteries are not always open. Do call before hand and check.
How To reach Fruska Gora Monasteries by Public Transport
By Bus, board from Novi Sad bus station:
- 72 Paragovo – Go to the last stop. Glavica peak is the start of several marked hiking trails.
- 74 Popovica – Get off the bus at the last stop and follow the path through the woods to get to a small lake in the meadow.
- 78 Beocin Selo – Get off the bus at the last stop. Reach the Beocin Monastery, a path leading to Crveni Cot.
Love this? Explore the entire list of things to do in Novi Sad before you plan your trip.
Fancy a good night's sleep after a tiring day? Check out where to stay in Novi Sad and book an accommodation of your choice.
Things to Know Before Visiting Fruska Gora Monasteries
85.2% of people who visit Novi Sad include Fruska Gora Monasteries in their plan
08 AM - 09 AM
58.11% of people start their Fruska Gora Monasteries visit around 08 AM - 09 AM
People usually take around 5 Hrs to see Fruska Gora Monasteries
95% of people prefer to travel by car while visiting Fruska Gora Monasteries
Fruska Gora Monasteries Trips
Fruska Gora Monasteries, Novi Sad Reviews
Fruška Gora is a good place to relax, walk and run away from everyday reality. There are marked walking paths for us who are not going that often or don't have a guide. If you like history and culture, you can visit some of the many monasteries. If you like to enjoy food, there are nice places to eat local food.
A pearl from the Panonian sea! Small (only 550 high) bt very beautiful mountain, with a lot of different kinds of landscapes. Trees, rocks, streams, but also a lot of trekking routes (marked).
Nema dalje. Ako zelite da pobegnete od gradske vreve, ovo je pravo mesto. Mi smo isli samostalno u obilazak, obisavsi manastire Krusedol, Grgeteg i Veliku Remetu. Preporuka je da od Grgetega do Remete idete peske, postoji i pesacka staza.
A perfect place if you want to escape from the city crowd!
Great place for hiking, mountainbiking, picnics and other activities. Don't miss visiting a few of the many orthodox christian monasteries as well.