Fruska Gora Monasteries282 Votes Currently Open
- Address: Novi Sad, Serbia.
- Timings: 24-hrs Details
- Time Required: 05:00 Hrs
- Tags: Cave, Forest, Village, Family And Kids, Lake, Nature
The long lost Serbian monasteries up at the Fruska Gora Mountains are a legend. Dated from as far back as 15th century, once upon a time there were about 35 monasteries of which only 16 are preserved now. Some of them are:
- Monastery Krusedol is one of the oldest among the lot and was built around 1509 and 1512 by the Brankovic family. It suffered a great damage in 1716 but was restored later. There are relics dedicated to the Brankovic family kept inside.
- Novo Hopovo monastery is one of the most beautiful monasteries with its bright yellow shade. Built in 1541 the Turks had destroyed it at a later time but it was rebuilt. During the seventeenth century, the monastery Novo Hopovo was the educational and cultural center of the Serbs, and for a while it was the center of the diocese.
- Monastery Grgeteg is older than Krusedol, perhaps the oldest, built in 1471 by despot Vuk Brankovic.
Other than these monasteries there are farms, villages, lakes, mountains, caves, dense oak and maple forests all of which add to the charm of this place. Nowhere else perhaps you may find a more serene natural environment as the one up in Fruska Gora.
Fruska Gora Monasteries Travel Tips
- The place will take a good 10 hours if you wish to see all the highlights.
Fruska Gora Monasteries Hours
- Individual monasteries are not always open. Do call before hand and check.
How to Reach Fruska Gora Monasteries
By Bus, board from Novi Sad bus station:
- 72 Paragovo – Go to the last stop. Glavica peak is the start of several marked hiking trails.
- 74 Popovica – Get off the bus at the last stop and follow the path through the woods to get to a small lake in the meadow.
- 78 Beocin Selo – Get off the bus at the last stop. Reach the Beocin Monastery, a path leading to Crveni Cot.
Love this? Explore the entire list of places to visit in Novi Sad before you plan your trip.
Fancy a good night's sleep after a tiring day? Check out where to stay in Novi Sad and book an accommodation of your choice.
46.53% of people who visit Novi Sad include Fruska Gora Monasteries in their plan
08 AM - 09 AM
58.11% of people start their Fruska Gora Monasteries visit around 08 AM - 09 AM
People usually take around 5 Hrs to see Fruska Gora Monasteries
95% of people prefer to travel by car while visiting Fruska Gora Monasteries