Fruska Gora MonasteriesCurrently Open
- Address: Novi Sad, Serbia.
- Timings: 24-hrs Details
- Time Required: 05:00 Hrs
- Tags: Cave, Forest, Village, Tourist Center, Family And Kids, Lake, Nature
About Fruska Gora Monasteries, Novi Sad
The long lost Serbian monasteries up at the Fruska Gora Mountains are a legend. Dated from as far back as 15th century, once upon a time there were about 35 monasteries of which only 16 are preserved now. Some of them are:
- Monastery Krusedol is one of the oldest among the lot and was built around 1509 and 1512 by the Brankovic family. It suffered a great damage in 1716 but was restored later. There are relics dedicated to the Brankovic family kept inside.
- Novo Hopovo monastery is one of the most beautiful monasteries with its bright yellow shade. Built in 1541 the Turks had destroyed it at a later time but it was rebuilt. During the seventeenth century, the monastery Novo Hopovo was the educational and cultural center of the Serbs, and for a while it was the center of the diocese.
- Monastery Grgeteg is older than Krusedol, perhaps the oldest, built in 1471 by despot Vuk Brankovic.
Other than these monasteries there are farms, villages, lakes, mountains, caves, dense oak and maple forests all of which add to the charm of this place. Nowhere else perhaps you may find a more serene natural environment as the one up in Fruska Gora.
Fruska Gora Monasteries Information
- The place will take a good 10 hours if you wish to see all the highlights.
Fruska Gora Monasteries Opening and Closing Hours
- Individual monasteries are not always open. Do call before hand and check.
How To reach Fruska Gora Monasteries by Public Transport
By Bus, board from Novi Sad bus station:
- 72 Paragovo – Go to the last stop. Glavica peak is the start of several marked hiking trails.
- 74 Popovica – Get off the bus at the last stop and follow the path through the woods to get to a small lake in the meadow.
- 78 Beocin Selo – Get off the bus at the last stop. Reach the Beocin Monastery, a path leading to Crveni Cot.
Love this? Explore the entire list of things to do in Novi Sad before you plan your trip.
Fancy a good night's sleep after a tiring day? Check out where to stay in Novi Sad and book an accommodation of your choice.
Things to Know Before Visiting Fruska Gora Monasteries
95% of people who visit Novi Sad include Fruska Gora Monasteries in their plan
08 AM - 09 AM
54.58% of people start their Fruska Gora Monasteries visit around 08 AM - 09 AM
People usually take around 5 Hrs to see Fruska Gora Monasteries
94.73% of people prefer to travel by car while visiting Fruska Gora Monasteries
Fruska Gora Monasteries Map
Fruska Gora Monasteries Trips
Fruska Gora Monasteries, Novi Sad Reviews
Perfect place to go out and spend some quality time on fresh air, to recover energy. National Park offers many activities, biking, hiking, walking, running... And when you get tired there is plenty of restaurants to drink some coffee or other beverages.
Beautiful landscape, and a nice change of pace, an island in the Panonian plane. Great for walks all year long. I must say that the new developments are starting to ruin the scenery, so if you're planning to make a trip, better now than later.
A lovely and peaceful place, great to enjoy nature and a number of old monasteries. You can truly feel the story and traditions. Novi Sad is a small drive away, vibrant town by the Danube.
One of the best Nacional parks in this area! Has many lovely walking and hiking tracks, places with a view, and mountain huts to rest. Do not miss it if you are a nature lover.
Fresh air, at winter is not very cold. Nice family restaurants. Truck and bus stops there for hot meals at summer cold drinks... ☺
All QuestionsFruska gora monasteries
- Palmetto Cab
- Church Of Jesus Christ Of Latter Day Saints
- Cig 806 Heliport
- Dacotah Hall
- St Paul Park Parks Department
- Nw Venice United Methodist Chr
- John Gutfreund
- Nancy Shear Arts Services
- Buildings At 375-379 Flatbush Avenue And 185-187 Sterling Place
- Church-Jesus Christ Latterday
- Horror Haunted House
- Chants And Cheers
- Rev David S Kruse Rev
- Cool Stuff For Boats
- Chatham Baptist