Nuwara Eliya Tourism
Blessed with pleasant climate, lush green mountains and tea plantations, breathtaking waterfalls, beautiful valleys and meadows, Sri Lanka’s Nuwara Eliya makes for a perfect getaway destination.
Nuwara Eliya means “City of Lights”. It is also known as “Little England” owning to its architecture that resembles to an English country town. Situated at an altitude of 1,868 m (6,128 feet) in a picturesque landscape, it was built entirely during the 19th century.
The picture perfect town of Nuwara Eliya is ideal to relax and rewind. Take your pick from long walks at the plantations, spend the day at scenic waterfalls or pamper yourself at the Spa, play Golf, or enjoy a Horse ride. One can also choose from Boating, Hiking or exploring the beauty of the landscaped gardens. If you are a Tea lover then it makes for a yet another reason to visit this beautiful resort town as Nuwara Eliya is considered to be the most important location for producing tea in Sri Lanka.
Essential travel information and Nuwara Eliya tips for your visit
- Pick pockets and Safes: If you are planning to carry the valuables and important documents along, make sure to hold them in front of your body, so as to avoid any mishap. If you are planning to leave it behind, make sure you keep it safe at the Hotel lockers. Check with the Hotel if they provide any such facility before you book.
- Tipping: Tipping is part of the culture, and you are under an unspoken obligation to follow it.
- What to Wear: Cover yourself modestly, and don’t forget to pack few warm clothes and a raincoat. It will save you from the changing weather, and unwanted stares from the locals, as Sri Lanka is a conservative country.
- Touts: Beware of the touts claiming to help you as they will undoubtedly lead you to shops/ sellers wherein they can earn more commission off you. Be firm in saying “No, thank you” and be polite always. When in doubt, always ask your guide and/or driver, and they will be able to help you.
- Bargaining: Do not get into bargaining at small shops if you have no intention of purchasing the good. It is frowned upon by the locals, and is considered rude.
- Hygiene and Precaution: Use only bottled water at all times. Avoid eating any raw food outside of the hotels, such as salad. There are very few public washrooms along the way, bear this in mind when planning a long journey.
- Bugs: Make sure to pack an insect repellant cream or spray along.
Nuwara Eliya Trip Planner
Plan your customized day by day trip plan for Nuwara Eliya. Choose from various experinces categories as adventure, romantic and family and kids friendly for your trip using using Nuwara Eliya trip planner.
The best tours and activities in the city, guided by experts to give you a local insight to the best of Nuwara Eliya
Save 7%Private Tea Plucking and Tea factory tour from Nuwara Eliya
4 Hrs1 Reviews
Save 7%Private Hiking tour to Kirigalpoththa Mountain via Horton PlainsNew on TripHobo
Save 9%Day Trip to Nuwaraeliya with MTHNew on TripHobo
Save 7%Nuwara Eliya To AirportNew on TripHobo
Save 7%Nuwara Eliya Highlands from Kandy (Private Day Tour)
11 Hrs2 Reviews