Are you looking for what to do in Nuwara Eliya?
THINGS TO SEE
With no dearth of beautiful places in this resort town, there are many tourist attractions in Nuwara Eliya.
- Horton Plains National Park: With attractions such as World’s End and Baker’s Falls, Horton National Park is one of the most popular National Park in Sri Lanka and is regarded as one of the must-see places to visit in Nuwara Eliya. The park is home to a variety of Flora and Fauna making it an interesting place for the Wild life and Nature enthusiasts.
- Gregory Lake: This Lake was built during the British ruling in India by Sir William Gregory. The purpose of building this lake is believed to be to generate electricity for the City. It is mainly used for water sports and other recreational activities.
- Queen Victoria Park: Various lakes flowing through the Park and rare species of Birds make it a great tourist attraction. Adding to it is wide array of beautiful flowers.
- Galways Land Bird Sanctuary: This sanctuary is home to around 20 species of rare foreign birds, and approximately 30 species of domestic birds, attracting birdwatchers in large numbers.
- Bluefield tea gardens: This tea factory provides a tour of the production facility, different grades of tea, and the processes for each type. They even have tea tasting for each guest afterwards and can shop for the same as well.
- Sita Temple: It is located in the village called “Seetha Eliya”. It is believed that Sita was held captive here after being kidnapped by Ravana.
- Hakgala Botanic Gardens: It is the second largest garden in Sri Lanka. It is home to approximately 10,000 varieties of flowers, and the blooms are at its peak during spring. It’s famous for Orchids and Roses planted here. The garden also finds its mention in Ramayana as “Ashok Vatika”.
- Nuwara Eliya Golf Course: The course is an 18 hole, 6070 yard, Par 70 layout. It was completed in 1889, and currently has 2000 members.
- Pedro Tea Factory: Tour is provided for all the visitors at this tea factory at Nuwara Eliya. They also have tea tasting at the end of the tour.
- Shri Bhakta Hanuman Temple: This temple was built by Chinmaya Mission, Sri Lanka. It attracts tourists in large numbers, as it has historical importance.
- Holy Trinity Church: A beautiful church that takes you back in history with its English architecture. A must see.
- The Hill Club: The Hill Club in Nuwara Eliya has 4 clay tennis courts. Entrance fee is inclusive of balls and racquet.
THINGS TO DO
- New Bazaar Street: Head to the market on New bazaar street for winter/ trekking wear, or outdoor gear from garment factories.
- Fruit & Veggies: For wide variety of fresh fruits and veggies, head to the market opposite Badulla police station.
- T- Sip: It is a fair trade shop selling tea leaves, set up by the Government to help fund the Community projects.
Below we have a list of things to do in Nuwara Eliya and the places where you want to spend the best moments of your trip. At the same time, the city offers you the best neighborhoods to explore and new foods to try.
This list should help you in deciding and prioritizing what you should plan on your Nuwara Eliya getaway. Find a mix of must-see tourist spots, underrated local hangouts, and maybe even a few new experiences you can try out.
Make the most of your trip to Nuwara Eliya with confidence.