Surrounded by everything blue and green, Oakland is the epicentre of all that’s fun and exciting. Bursting with activities, events, art and enthusiasm, this city has long left the reputation that it was so infamous for.
The city is busy with events and activities. The First Fridays will amaze you with talent in art, music and dance, and entice you with delicious food from the pop-up restaurants. Proud of its history and progress, Oakland gives you a chance to live it through its museums, and structures.
The San Francisco- Oakland Bay is grand, and a ferry ride across it will be a treat you deserve.
Although many events like the Pedalfest and the Art and Soul Oakland Festival are in the summers, which is the peak season, a trip in the fall will be as enjoyable if not more. Away from the busy city, you can find solace in the arms of nature. Sailing on the Lake Merritt and hiking along the trails of the Joaquin Miller Park or the Redwood Regional Park, enjoying the view and connecting with the earth is a surreal experience.
Back into the city, the Oracle Arena, Chabot Space and Science centre and Oakland Aviation Museum and many more are worth a visit. The range of cuisines to feast on may be confusing, but only because you’ll want to try everything. The best thing to do in Oakland with family and children would be a visit to the Children’s Fairyland, which is a delight to the entire family.
The connectivity within the city is very convenient. Commuting to the best tourist attractions spread across the city is not only easy, but also fun. Hostels and hotels, budget and luxury, the options here are endless perfect for all, bag packers, families and solo travellers too.
A conducive weather any time that you may choose to go, will ensure your delight.
Experience Oakland, a place that will always give you exactly what you want.
Essential travel information and Oakland tips for your visit
- Time zone: UTC-08:00
- Currency: USD
- Electricity and Internet: 110 Volts. Free wi-fi hotspots are available in almost all public places, and all hotels.
- Languages: English
- Security: Dial 911 in case of an emergency, and 311 if it is a non-emergency.
- Airport shuttle, Hotel doorman, Baggage handlers, Bell staff: Anywhere between USD 1 to USD 3.
- Cab drivers: It is expected that you tip them, so please keep a few dollars at hand.
- Restaurants: Tipping is mandatory. It ranges from 15% to 20% of the billed amount, usually 18% is tipped.
- Smoking is prohibited by the state law in all closed public places including, bars, restaurants, offices and public buildings.
- Off-beaten path: One can catch a concert at the Paramount Theatre.
- Be careful while exploring the city on foot and when it’s dark, it is best to avoid areas with scarce crowd.
- Be careful while hiking and check for ticks.
Oakland Trip Planner
Plan your customized day by day trip plan for Oakland. Choose from various experinces categories as adventure, romantic and family and kids friendly for your trip using using Oakland trip planner.
The best tours and activities in the city, guided by experts to give you a local insight to the best of Oakland
Save 7%San Francisco Air Tour
45 Mins10 Reviews
Save 7%Private San Francisco Flight for Two
40 Mins1 Reviews
Grand Lake Cultural Cuisine Food TourNew on TripHobo
Save 7%Arrival Private Transfer SFO Airport to Oakland in a Luxury CarNew on TripHobo
Save 4%Rockridge Neighborhood Heritage Food TourNew on TripHobo
Save 5%Private Transfer: Hotel to Oakland International Airport
1 Hr1 Reviews