Potemkin Stairs, OdessaCurrently Open
- Address: Odessa, Odessa Oblast, Ukraine, 65000
- Timings: 24-hrs Details
- Time Required: 00:20 Mins
- Tags: Landmark, Family And Kids
About Potemkin Stairs, Odessa
Originally known as the Richelieu steps, there is no more iconic structure in Odessa. The 27-meter rising and 142-meter long stairway is famous for a handful of reasons. Firstly, it’s designed to exploit an optical illusion: looking up, you can only see the stairs, and looking down, you can only see the landings. Built twice, the last time by English engineer John Upton in 1841, the stairway was brought to the world’s attention by Sergei Eisenstein's 1925 film The Battleship Potemkin. Next to the stairs is a historic 1902 funicular, but most people prefer to climb the steps. At the top of the stairs is the Duke de Richelieu Monument, dedicated to the first Mayor of the city. Sometimes the stairs are used for free open air concerts.
How To reach Potemkin Stairs by Public Transport
- Funicular Prymors'kyi Blvd - Mors'kyi port stop Mors'kyi port.
- Buses 10, 155; Shared Taxi 110, 120, 190, 210 stop Morvokzal (The Seaport).
- By Car
Love this? Explore the entire list of things to do in Odessa before you plan your trip.
Fancy a good night's sleep after a tiring day? Check out where to stay in Odessa and book an accommodation of your choice.
Things to Know Before Visiting Potemkin Stairs
95% of people who visit Odessa include Potemkin Stairs in their plan
1 PM - 2 PM
35.28% of people start their Potemkin Stairs visit around 1 PM - 2 PM
People usually take around 30 Minutes to see Potemkin Stairs
93.3% of people prefer to travel by car while visiting Potemkin Stairs
Potemkin Stairs, Odessa Reviews
It's one of the biggest stairs in Europe. Its first name was "The Giant Stairs". You can enjoy spectacular view of the port of Odessa from atop of Potemkin Stairs.
If you like stairs, you’re gonna love this place. Very romantic. Raced someone up the steps, and was victorious!!! Good views and a very special place.
This is the one of main landmarks in Odessa. It is a historic place with many stories from the past and it is place where locals like to spend time. If you are visiting Odessa it is a must see place. At the top of these stairs you will observe a very pleasant view of Odessa sea port terminal as well as Black Sea. Also, at the top of these stairs there is a Primorskii boulevard where you can take a promenade.
If you are a tourist you must visit this place.....especially in summers....great view of port and black sea from here...a New Turkish garden has been constructed here which is beautiful and is awesome for good snaps and kids to play....
İdk why is it popular. Good if you are coming from sea but not special for standart Tour.
All QuestionsPotemkin stairs
- Attractions near Potemkin Stairs
- Main Synagogue Of Odessa
- Odessa Numismatics Museum
- Spaso-Preobrazhenskiy Cathedral
- Paleontological Museum And Mineralogical Museum
- Odessa Local Lore And History Museum
- Roman Catholic Church Of St. Paul The Apostle
- Luzanivka Beach
- Bio Park
- Pushkin Museum
- Museum Of Odessa Modern Art
- Privoz Market
- Recently Added Point of Interest in Odessa
- Гостиница в Одессе - "Де Ришелье"
- Zolote Dytia
- Spartak Stadium
- Monument To Leonid Utiosov
- Odessa International Airport
- Central Stadium Chernomorets
- Odessa State Environmental University
- Odessa Art Museum
- U Baby Uti Wax Museum
- Odessa Literary Museum
- Preobrazhenskiy Park