Potemkin Stairs, Odessa
About Potemkin Stairs, Odessa
Potemkin Stairs, Odessa - Address
Address: Odessa, Odessa Oblast, Ukraine, 65000
Time Required: 00:20 Mins
Timings: 24-hrs Details
Added 89 times in trip plans
Landmark, Family And Kids
Try TripHobo to create your itinerary
Are you associated with this business? Get in touch
Originally known as the Richelieu steps, there is no more iconic structure in Odessa. The 27-meter rising and 142-meter long stairway is famous for a handful of reasons. Firstly, it’s designed to exploit an optical illusion: looking up, you can only see the stairs, and looking down, you can only see the landings. Built twice, the last time by English engineer John Upton in 1841, the stairway was brought to the world’s attention by Sergei Eisenstein's 1925 film The Battleship Potemkin. Next to the stairs is a historic 1902 funicular, but most people prefer to climb the steps. At the top of the stairs is the Duke de Richelieu Monument, dedicated to the first Mayor of the city. Sometimes the stairs are used for free open air concerts.
How To reach Potemkin Stairs by Public Transport
- Funicular Prymors'kyi Blvd - Mors'kyi port stop Mors'kyi port.
- Buses 10, 155; Shared Taxi 110, 120, 190, 210 stop Morvokzal (The Seaport).
- By Car
Love this? Explore the entire list of things to do in Odessa before you plan your trip.
Fancy a good night's sleep after a tiring day? Check out where to stay in Odessa and book an accommodation of your choice.
Potemkin Stairs, Odessa Reviews - Write a Review
I like da stairs because if i run to the top and pump my fists in the air i feel like Rocky Balboa from the Rocky Movie Series. And if i imagine really hard i can fool myself into thinking some of the cute ladies watching are thinking the same things about me and not the opposite! Yuk yuk snort snort 😨
Terrific historical site. Exceptional view of the area. Lots of souvinear shops, keychains, etc.
I like this place. There is a really good view. Highly recommend you
Good view and historic place, must see. Restored as much as part of old city of Odessa.
The Potemkin Stairs is one of the main attractions in Odessa, which takes you down to the seaport. There is Primorskii Boulevard which was greenery and good for a walk with the view to the sea.
- Nearby Attractions
- Holy Assumption Patriarchal Friary
- Roman Catholic Church Of St. Paul The Apostle
- House-museum Of Leonid Utyosov
- Hellenic Foundation For Culture
- Paleontological Museum And Mineralogical Museum
- Odessa Numismatics Museum
- St. Elijah Monastery
- Odessa Mechnikov National University
- Monument To Sergey Utochkin
- Гостиница в Одессе - "Де Ришелье"
- Odessa Day-wise Trips
- What to See in 24 Hours in Odessa
- What to See in 48 Hours in Odessa
- What to See in 72 Hours in Odessa
- How to Spend 5 Days in Odessa
- How to Spend 6 Days in Odessa
- How to Spend 7 Days in Odessa