Sveti Kliment OhridskiCurrently Open
- Address: Kuzman Kapidan, Ohrid 6000, Republic of Macedonia Map
- Time Required: 00:45 Mins
- Tags: Religious Site, Historical Site, Family And Kids
The Sveti Kliment Ohridski dates back to the 9th century and even through it was established as a church, for a long time in its history, it was also used as a mosque. The place is most popular for being one of the first centres for Slavic language and shares its history with Saint Clement himself who died here in the early 10th century along with Cyril and Methodius who are credited for establishing the Slavic- Cyrillic alphabet.
St. Clement was a notable Bulgarian scholar, writer, saint and preachers of the Slavs and was himself credited with the creation of Glagolitic scripts. He was also the founder of Ohrid Literary School and is considered the patron saint of education by the Slavic community. With his enormous contribution in shaping the region’s education system, Saint Clement was declared as the patron saint of the Republic of Macedonia. After his death he was buried at the Sveti Kliment Ohridski and even today, people from all over the region come here to pray at his tomb.
Today, most of the monastery that can be seen is actually reconstructed over the original ruins. Walk into the basilica and you can see the transparent glass floor that preserves the underlying original floor. There are many spots around the monastery grounds that have restricted access that showcase archeologically ruins excavated at the monastery. You can see beautiful mosaics set it the ground that date back to the 4th century, stunning exteriors with solid stone construction having a hexagonal dome and a cylindrical dome and a church tower that lies to the right of the church. The view of Lake Ohrid from the basilica adds to its vantage point and makes for a lovely walk later in the evening.
Sveti Kliment Ohridski Travel Tips
- Carry bottled drinking water and wear comfortable shoes.
- The church is part of an archeologically site and complete access is prohibited. You can take a walk around.
- Ask locals for timings and admission fee.
How to Reach Sveti Kliment Ohridski
- By Bus : Tamaro Bus Stop (Bus Station Tamaro)
- By Taxi
- By renting a Bike.
- By Walking
Love this? Explore the entire list of places to visit in Ohrid before you plan your trip.
Fancy a good night's sleep after a tiring day? Check out where to stay in Ohrid and book an accommodation of your choice.
- Sveti Kliment Ohridski Address: Kuzman Kapidan, Ohrid 6000, Republic of Macedonia
- Time required to visit Sveti Kliment Ohridski: 00:45 Mins
- Try the best online travel planner to plan your travel itinerary!