Tsar Samuels Fortress3 Votes Currently Open
- Address: Samoil's Fortress, Ohrid 6000, Macedonia (FYROM) Map
- Timings: 09:00 am - 06:00 pm Details
- Phone: +389-46262208
- Time Required: 01:00 Hrs
- Tags: Historical Site, Family And Kids, Fort
The Tsar Samuel's Fortress is located in the old town of Ohrid city. The fortress is named after Samuil who is considered to be the most successful ruler of Macedonia during the Middle ages. In the 10th century, Ohrid city was the capital of the first Bulgarian Empire and archaeologists believe that the present-day fortifications were actually built on older ones that date back to the 4th century. There are mentions of the fortress that date back to as early as the 5th century as well.
The fortress was built on one of the best vantage points that you can see around Ohrid with the lake on one side and was protected by massive defensive wall. What’s interesting about the fortress is that even though it was reconstructed multiple times under the rule of multiple emperors, you can still find influences of all its historic rulers that indicate that the fort was used by the Romans, the Byzantines, the Slavs and Ottoman Turks. The town that was guarded by these fortification has three main gates- only the upper gate of these 3 has tombs made from marble that has Greek and Roman inscriptions. After Samuil’s reign collapsed he moved to another palace and since 1830 up until 2000, the place was in ruins. It was in 2000 that restoration began and today you can actually walk through the fortress – taking in its history, its fool proof construction and its ambience. After dark, the exterior walls are illuminated with yellow lights and along with Macedonia’s flag hoisted on the fort, it forms a breath-taking view after sunset!
Tsar Samuels Fortress Travel Tips
- Carry bottled drinking water and wear sturdy shoes.
Entrance Ticket Details For Tsar Samuels Fortress
- Admission fee : MKD 30 per person
How to Reach Tsar Samuels Fortress
- By Bus : Tamaro Bus Stop (Bus Station Tamaro)
- By Taxi
- By renting a Bike.
- By Walking
Love this? Explore the entire list of places to visit in Ohrid before you plan your trip.
Fancy a good night's sleep after a tiring day? Check out where to stay in Ohrid and book an accommodation of your choice.
- Tsar Samuels Fortress Address: Samoil's Fortress, Ohrid 6000, Macedonia (FYROM)
- Tsar Samuels Fortress Contact Number: +389-46262208
- Tsar Samuels Fortress Timing: 09:00 am - 06:00 pm
- Best time to visit Tsar Samuels Fortress(preferred time): 09:30 am - 05:00 pm
- Time required to visit Tsar Samuels Fortress: 01:00 Hrs
- Try the best online travel planner to plan your travel itinerary!
1.27% of people who visit Ohrid include Tsar Samuels Fortress in their plan
12 PM - 1 PM
95% of people start their Tsar Samuels Fortress visit around 12 PM - 1 PM
People usually take around 1 Hr to see Tsar Samuels Fortress
95% of people prefer walking in order to reach Tsar Samuels Fortress
People normally club together Church Of St. John At Kaneo and Holy Mary Perybleptos while planning their visit to Tsar Samuels Fortress.