Chibi Chiri GamaCurrently Open
- Address: 438 Namihira, Yomitan, Nakagami District, Okinawa Prefecture 904-0322, Japan Map
- Timings: 24-hrs Details
- Time Required: 04:00 Hrs
- Tags: Cave, Historical Site, Family And Kids
The Chibi Chiri Gama is a cave with a troubled history. In 1945, the city was invaded by Allied forces and around 140 people from Okianawa village fled the region to come here at Chibi Chiri Gama to save themselves. The Japanese people were warned by the local authorities that if they would be captured by the American troops, they would be raped, beaten up and mutilated and hence were instructed to kill themselves for their Emperor. From 140 villagers, 84 chose to kill themselves and their loved ones. These include young girls who were killed by their own mothers for fear of rape and people who drank poison to kill themselves as they heard the troops invade the forest.
Even today, the place is considered to be one of the most haunting spots around Okinawa. You can find a statue of a man playing shamisen and etchings in the cave walls of skulls that resemble children, people’s faces crying and wailing and inscriptions that keep the story alive amidst the thick forested area.
Chibi Chiri Gama Travel Tips
- Carry bottled drinking water, snacks and wear sturdy shoes.
- Do make sure you have company, since the way to reach the caves can get pretty tricky and is quite eerie.
How to Reach Chibi Chiri Gama
- By Bus
- By renting a Car/Bike.
Love this? Explore the entire list of places to visit in Okinawa before you plan your trip.
Fancy a good night's sleep after a tiring day? Check out where to stay in Okinawa and book an accommodation of your choice.
- Chibi Chiri Gama Address: 438 Namihira, Yomitan, Nakagami District, Okinawa Prefecture 904-0322, Japan
- Chibi Chiri Gama Timing: 24-hrs
- Best time to visit Chibi Chiri Gama(preferred time): 08:00 am - 12:00 pm
- Time required to visit Chibi Chiri Gama: 04:00 Hrs
- Try the best online travel planner to plan your travel itinerary!