Katsuren CastleCurrently Open
- Address: 3908 Katsurenhaebaru, Uruma City, Okinawa 904-2311, Japan Map
- Timings: 24-hrs Details
- Phone: +81-989787373
- Time Required: 02:30 Hrs
- Tags: Castle, Historical Site, Family And Kids
Built in “Teikaku-shiki” style which is seen in the four levels of terraced construction, the Katsuren Castle Ruins is one of the rare architectural sights of its time. The castle dates back to the 13th century and was built by using Ryukyu limestone. The castle stands at a height of 322 feet above the sea level and even though it was destroyed by the Ryukyu army in the 15th century, most of its fortifications (with Japanese tiles that were old-styled) show just how much technique was used for its construction. A series of stairway take you to the top of the hills that offers a surreal a panoramic view of the region. Archaeological excavation revealed ancient Roman and Ottoman currency here – marking the first place where Roman coins were found in the country!
The region was registered as a World Heritage site in 2000 and is currently one of the best places to have a short hiking trip when in Okinawa.
Katsuren Castle Travel Tips
- Carry bottled drinking water and wear sturdy shoes.
Entrance Ticket Details For Katsuren Castle
- Admission to the place is free of cost.
How to Reach Katsuren Castle
- By Bus: Ikento (15 kilometres away)
- By renting a Car/Bike
Love this? Explore the entire list of places to visit in Okinawa before you plan your trip.
Fancy a good night's sleep after a tiring day? Check out where to stay in Okinawa and book an accommodation of your choice.
- Katsuren Castle Address: 3908 Katsurenhaebaru, Uruma City, Okinawa 904-2311, Japan
- Katsuren Castle Contact Number: +81-989787373
- Katsuren Castle Timing: 24-hrs
- Best time to visit Katsuren Castle(preferred time): 08:00 am - 03:00 pm
- Time required to visit Katsuren Castle: 02:30 Hrs
- Try the best online travel planner to plan your travel itinerary!