There is definitely a reason why India is called as the land of religion and faith. Some of the towns in India are populated with so many temples that they can easily be termed as the holy centers of Hindu faith and practice. One of the holiest towns of India, Omkareshwar exudes a spiritual aura to make you fall in love with it. Located at a close distance to Indore, this town derives its name from the sacred Hindu symbol of Om. Due to a number of Hindu and Jain temples finding place here, this city has become one of the pilgrimage sites for Hindu devotees. The landscape of this city is shaped like Om as the rivers Narmada and Kaveri find a confluence here and offer a magical feel to the whole place. This island is divided into north and south by a deep gully and is linked by a bridge.
The town finds an immense attention and value due to the presence of one of the twelve Jyotirlingams(symbol of Lord Shiva) in India. Enshrined in the Temple of Sri Omkareshwar Mahadeo, this lingam draws innumerable devotees every year who come here to seek blessings of the God. According to mythologies, the Shivalingas were gifted by God on request of the Devas and were broken into two parts. One was the Omkareshwar temple and the other being the Amareshwar. There are other temples as well that are equally beautiful and worth visiting in Omkareshwar. For instance, the elephant frescoes in Siddhanath temple are worth visiting and offer you an insight into Hindu art and architecture as well. Apart from the temples, the natural beauty and local corners are worth exploring and noticing here.
Essential travel information and Omkareshwar tips for your visit
- Time Zone: IST (Indian Standard Time) GMT+5:30
- Currency: Currency used in Omkareshwar is Indian Rupees.
- Electricity: India uses 230 Volts, 50 Hz alternating current as the power source. Plugs and sockets have grounded / earthed 3 Pin connections (Type D) or ungrounded 2 pin connections (Type C).
- Internet: 3G, Wi-Fi connections are available in almost all the hotels in the city.
- Languages: Language spoken in Omkareshwar is Hindi.
- Police: 100
- Ambulance: 108
Tipping: Tipping is generally expected for the services rendered.
- Refrain from getting overfriendly with strangers. Do not get too personal with people like taxi drivers, auto drivers, tourist guides, etc.
- Keep all your cash and valuables under lock and key in your hotel room. Avoid carrying and exhibiting them in busy streets.
- Since it’s a holy city, modest clothing and gestures are appreciated.
- Always carry water with you.
Omkareshwar Trip Planner
Plan your customized day by day trip plan for Omkareshwar. Choose from various experinces categories as adventure, romantic and family and kids friendly for your trip using using Omkareshwar trip planner.