Udhagamandalam aka Ootacamund and more popularly known as Ooty is called the Queen of Hill stations! And not for nothing! A look at Ooty tourist information and Ooty photos will assure you that the ‘Queen’ title is justified! Sprawling tea plantations, expansive gardens, nature reserves and cascading waterfalls form the crux of Ooty. Nature has been very generous with the town.
Situated in the state of Tamil Nadu, Ooty is a town in and district capital of the Nilgiris District. It is located in the western ghats at an elevation of around 2240 m. Ooty was originally used as a summer get away from Madras by the British during the colonial rule. Now, it is one of the most famous hill stations in India. Planning an Ooty trip? Allow us to be your Ooty travel guide!
Essential travel information and Ooty tips for your visit
- Time Zone: UTC+05:30
- Currency: Indian National Rupee (INR)
- Electricity: Power in India is 230 Volts, 50 Hz. Internet 3G compatibility (4G recently introduced)> many hotels also have free WiFi services.
- Languages: Tamil, Telugu, Malayalam, Urdu and English
- Security: Numbers for emergency Ambulance - 108, Fire- 101, Police 100
- Tipping: Tipping is appreciated but optional. If you’re impressed by the services provided to you, then you can tip about 10 percent of the total amount charged.
- Avoid visiting secluded areas during late night.
- Dress modestly.
- Don’t wear footwear in temples as it is not allowed in India.
Ooty Trip Planner
Plan your customized day by day trip plan for Ooty. Choose from various experinces categories as adventure, romantic and family and kids friendly for your trip using using Ooty trip planner.