Visit Ooty - Best of Ooty
Udhagamandalam aka Ootacamund and more popularly known as Ooty is called the Queen of Hill stations! And not for nothing! A look at Ooty tourist information and Ooty photos will assure you that the ‘Queen’ title is justified! Sprawling tea plantations, expansive gardens, nature reserves and cascading waterfalls form the crux of Ooty. Nature has been very generous with the town.
Situated in the state of Tamil Nadu, Ooty is a town in and district capital of the Nilgiris District. It is located in the western ghats at an elevation of around 2240 m. Ooty was originally used as a summer get away from Madras by the British during the colonial rule. Now, it is one of the most famous hill stations in India. Planning an Ooty trip? Allow us to be your Ooty travel guide!
Ooty Travel Tips
Essential travel information and Ooty tips for your visit
- Time Zone: UTC+05:30
- Currency: Indian National Rupee (INR)
- Electricity: Power in India is 230 Volts, 50 Hz. Internet 3G compatibility (4G recently introduced)> many hotels also have free WiFi services.
- Languages: Tamil, Telugu, Malayalam, Urdu and English
- Security: Numbers for emergency Ambulance - 108, Fire- 101, Police 100
- Tipping: Tipping is appreciated but optional. If you’re impressed by the services provided to you, then you can tip about 10 percent of the total amount charged.
- Avoid visiting secluded areas during late night.
- Dress modestly.
- Don’t wear footwear in temples as it is not allowed in India.
Are you looking for a Ooty travel itinerary? Create an itinerary within minutes, on your own!
Ooty Tourist Information
Popular Hotels in OotyView all Hotels in Ooty
More about Ooty
5 Spookiest Haunted Towns Around the WorldHaunted towns around the world: In a world where there is such a huge space crunch, there are entire towns that have been abandoned for decades.
7 Best Hill Stations Near ChennaiPlanning a winter trip to hill stations near Chennai? Checkout this list of 7 best hill stations around Chennai, a must visit with your family and friends.
Rejuvenate Yourself with Fun things to do in Lal Bagh, BangaloreFun things to do in Lal Bagh Botanical Garden: Tired of your hectic schedules in Bangalore? Head towards Lal Bagh, the ultimate place for fun and leisure!!!
Facts and Stats for Ooty*
Living in Ooty - Quality of Life
Property Price to Income Ratio 75 (Very High)
Indices such as Quality of life, Climate & Healthcare index are good to be high whereas others such as Property price, Traffic & Cost of living Index are good to be low.
Cost for Essentials in Ooty
Here's how much it will cost to shop in Ooty
Local calling per minute on Prepaid mobile 0.03 USD
International Movie per seat 6.75 USD
Pair of Basic Nike Shoes 26.99 USD
Pair of Basic Levis Jeans 6.75 USD
*Stats and figures mentioned are crowd-sourced and subjected to change without notice.