Nilgiri Mountain RailwayCurrently Closed
- Address: Tamil Nadu, India, Ooty
- Timings: 07:15 am - 06:30 pm Details
- Ticket Price: 145 INR
- Time Required: 08:00 Hrs
- Tags: Leisure, Family And Kids, Train Ride
Nilgiri Mountain Railway - Review
The rail line between Mettupalaiyam to the Nilgiri Hills was completed and opened for traffic in June 1899. The line was extended to Ooty from Coonoor in 1908. The Nilgiri Passenger train covers a distance of approximately 45 kms., travels through around 15 tunnels, and crosses aplenty bridges. It has one of the steepest tracks in Asia with a maximum gradient of 8.33%. The railway is predominantly picturesque because of the surrounding rocky terrain, tea plantations, and forested hills. Also, visit the popular attractions in the city by following Ooty Itinerary 3 Days.
Nilgiri Mountain Railway Information
- Booking needs to be done in advance via the Indian Railways website.
- The train leaves Mettupalaiyam Station at 7.10 a.m. and arrives at noon at Lovedale Station. The train then leaves Ooty at 3 p.m. and reaches Mettupalaiyam at 6.35 p.m.
- Train starts at Lovedale Station and Mettupalaiyam Station.
Nilgiri Mountain Railway Ticket Prices
- First Class: Approximately Rs. 145
- Second Class: Approximately Rs. 25
Restaurants Near Nilgiri Mountain Railway
- Kiosks at the train stations.
Love this? Explore the entire list of things to do in Ooty before you plan your trip.
Fancy a good night's sleep after a tiring day? Check out where to stay in Ooty and book an accommodation of your choice.
Things to Know Before Visiting Nilgiri Mountain Railway
93.57% of people who visit Ooty include Nilgiri Mountain Railway in their plan
08 AM - 09 AM
86.4% of people start their Nilgiri Mountain Railway visit around 08 AM - 09 AM
People usually take around 8 Hrs to see Nilgiri Mountain Railway
91.37% of people prefer to travel by car while visiting Nilgiri Mountain Railway