Nilgiri Mountain Railway, Ooty
About Nilgiri Mountain Railway, Ooty
Nilgiri Mountain Railway, Ooty - Address, Ticket Price
Address: Tamil Nadu, India
Ticket Price: 145 INR
Time Required: 08:00 Hrs
Timings: 07:15 am - 06:30 pm Details
Added 60.8K times in trip plans
Leisure, Family And Kids, Train Ride
Try TripHobo to create your itinerary
Are you associated with this business? Get in touch
The rail line between Mettupalaiyam to the Nilgiri Hills was completed and opened for traffic in June 1899. The line was extended to Ooty from Coonoor in 1908. The Nilgiri Passenger train covers a distance of approximately 45 kms., travels through around 15 tunnels, and crosses aplenty bridges. It has one of the steepest tracks in Asia with a maximum gradient of 8.33%. The railway is predominantly picturesque because of the surrounding rocky terrain, tea plantations, and forested hills.
Nilgiri Mountain Railway Information
- Booking needs to be done in advance via the Indian Railways website.
- The train leaves Mettupalaiyam Station at 7.10 a.m. and arrives at noon at Lovedale Station. The train then leaves Ooty at 3 p.m. and reaches Mettupalaiyam at 6.35 p.m.
- Train starts at Lovedale Station and Mettupalaiyam Station.
Nilgiri Mountain Railway Ticket Prices
- First Class: Approximately Rs. 145
- Second Class: Approximately Rs. 25
Restaurants Near Nilgiri Mountain Railway
- Kiosks at the train stations.
Love this? Explore the entire list of things to do in Ooty before you plan your trip.
Fancy a good night's sleep after a tiring day? Check out where to stay in Ooty and book an accommodation of your choice.
Nilgiri Mountain Railway, Ooty Reviews - Write a Review
- Nearby Attractions
- South Indian Bank Atm
- Nahar Restaurant
- Deccan Park Resort
- Rk Holiday Homes
- Ooty Coffee House
- Hotel Vinayaga Inn
- Hotel Sanjay
- Destiny Farm Stay
- St. Margaret's Itc Holiday Home/ Guest House
- Hotel Blue Hills International
- Ooty Day-wise Trips
- What to See in 24 Hours in Ooty
- What to See in 48 Hours in Ooty
- What to See in 72 Hours in Ooty
- How to Spend 5 Days in Ooty
- How to Spend 6 Days in Ooty
- How to Spend 7 Days in Ooty