Duomo Di OrvietoCurrently Closed
- Address: Piazza del Duomo, 26, 05018 Orvieto TR, Italy
- Timings: 09:30 am - 06:00 pm Details
- Phone: +39-0763341167
- Ticket Price: Free
- Time Required: 02:00 Hrs
- Tags: Church, Religious Site, Historical Site, Architecture
Duomo Di Orvieto - Review
This is a large 14th century Roman Catholic Cathedral that was constructed on the order of Pope Urban IV. It is said that once a priest was passing this place and saw the altar inside bleeding badly and its clothes were all blood stained. The stained cloth is now stored safely inside the cathedral.
- The architecture and design is very elegant, with the facade being the most notable part of the whole building. This is one of the finest masterpieces of the Middle Age.
- There is a beautiful large rose window, golden mosaic works and 3 large bronze doors.
- Inside are 2 mind blowing frescoed chapels with paintings of Judgement Day.
- There are 5 bells that are tuned to E- Flat.
- The piers have the carvings of stories from The Testament, Tree of Jesse and other tales of mythology.
- The Chapel of San Brizio or the Capella di San Brizio was a 15th century addition to the cathedral. It is separated from the main cathedral by 2 iron gates. The main piece of painting inside is of Madonna with child and angels. The other notable frescoes here are The Preaching of the Anti Christ, The End of the World, The Resurrection of Flesh, The Damned are taken to Hell and The Elect in Paradise.
How To reach Duomo Di Orvieto by Public Transport
- Get there on foot
Restaurants Near Duomo Di Orvieto
- Ristorante Al San Francesco
Love this? Explore the entire list of things to do in Orvieto before you plan your trip.
Fancy a good night's sleep after a tiring day? Check out where to stay in Orvieto and book an accommodation of your choice.
Things to Know Before Visiting Duomo Di Orvieto
95% of people who visit Orvieto include Duomo Di Orvieto in their plan
09 AM - 10 AM
74% of people start their Duomo Di Orvieto visit around 09 AM - 10 AM
People usually take around 2 Hrs to see Duomo Di Orvieto
87.6% of people prefer to travel by car while visiting Duomo Di Orvieto
Duomo Di Orvieto Trips
Duomo Di Orvieto, Orvieto Reviews
The facade is very impressive, probably one if the most beautiful and colourful in Italy. The interior is very different. It is dark, not as colourful, huge but I can hardly say it is beautiful. Worth seeing though.
Magnificent facade. But that’s where all the money and creativity went. Tourists quickly learn to save the money and just take a quick peek inside. Just as good a view. Take time to savor the front. You can’t get far enough away to take a decent picture
Truly unique, must go to place if you visit Orvieto. The pictures don't lie, the Duomo is really striped. And not because it is painted, but because of the different materials. The upper galleries aren't accessible, sadly, but the ground floor by itself is enough to blow you away. The facade is richly decorated with frescoes, reliefs and statues of religous nature and representations of the evangelists. But the best part is the interior: almost every square centimeter is covered in all sorts of beautiful details, all worthy of being photographed and if you are anything like me you will most likely stay almost an entire hour to take it all in and then twice the time to capture it all with your camera.
One of the most beautidul Duomos in Italy. Worth visiting. Orvieto is very nice city to spend a day or two.
This cathedral is just like my ex: beautiful on the outside, but cold and ugly on the inside. Amazing Gothic facade, a really beautiful style of building! The inside is empty. You have to pay €4 to see it, you're not allowed to take photos, the personel aren't friendly, and the church offers nothing spectacular on the inside. Pro tip, go in the entrance and take a quick peek of the interior. You can decide for yourself if the vast empty space is worth your money.