Duomo Di Orvieto585 Votes Currently Open
- Address: Piazza del Duomo, 26, 05018 Orvieto TR, Italy
- Timings: 09:30 am - 06:00 pm Details
- Phone: +39-0763341167
- Time Required: 02:00 Hrs
- Tags: Church, Religious Site, Historical Site, Architecture
This is a large 14th century Roman Catholic Cathedral that was constructed on the order of Pope Urban IV. It is said that once a priest was passing this place and saw the altar inside bleeding badly and its clothes were all blood stained. The stained cloth is now stored safely inside the cathedral.
- The architecture and design is very elegant, with the facade being the most notable part of the whole building. This is one of the finest masterpieces of the Middle Age.
- There is a beautiful large rose window, golden mosaic works and 3 large bronze doors.
- Inside are 2 mind blowing frescoed chapels with paintings of Judgement Day.
- There are 5 bells that are tuned to E- Flat.
- The piers have the carvings of stories from The Testament, Tree of Jesse and other tales of mythology.
- The Chapel of San Brizio or the Capella di San Brizio was a 15th century addition to the cathedral. It is separated from the main cathedral by 2 iron gates. The main piece of painting inside is of Madonna with child and angels. The other notable frescoes here are The Preaching of the Anti Christ, The End of the World, The Resurrection of Flesh, The Damned are taken to Hell and The Elect in Paradise.
How to Reach Duomo Di Orvieto
- Get there on foot
- Ristorante Al San Francesco
Love this? Explore the entire list of places to visit in Orvieto before you plan your trip.
Fancy a good night's sleep after a tiring day? Check out where to stay in Orvieto and book an accommodation of your choice.
95% of people who visit Orvieto include Duomo Di Orvieto in their plan
09 AM - 10 AM
74% of people start their Duomo Di Orvieto visit around 09 AM - 10 AM
People usually take around 2 Hrs to see Duomo Di Orvieto
87.6% of people prefer to travel by car while visiting Duomo Di Orvieto