Mint Museum, Osaka
About Mint Museum, Osaka
Mint Museum, Osaka - Address, Phone Number
Address: Japan, 〒530-0043 Osaka Prefecture, Osaka, Kita Ward, Tenma, 1−1−79
Time Required: 02:00 Hrs
Timings: 09:00 am - 04:45 pm Details
Added 13.8K times in trip plans
Museum, Family And Kids
Try TripHobo to create your itinerary
Are you associated with this business? Get in touch
There are over 4000 items on exhibit in this museum on Japanese coin and currency. The collection is housed inside a building that used to be an old thermal power plant. See a miniature of the mint complex of it's 1873 layout. View the 1876 Great Clock. See The Balance used to test the purity of gold, and Japan's oldest Double-Entry Accounting Book. There's also an antique Hepburn dictionary. Lift the Senryoubako, a chest originally used to store 1000 gold coins. Finally, see the illuminated displays of old coins. Some of the highlights include Olympic medals, the Tensho Hishi Oban (a coin minted by Toyotomi Hideyoshi), Japan’s oldest western-style gas lamp, and gold and silver ingots, That's not the museum's only appeal. In front of the museum is a cherry tree line avenue. The trees bloom spectacularly in spring, drawing many people to the sight.
Mint Museum Information
- Advance booking is required for the guided tour.
Mint Museum Opening and Closing Hours
- Last admission at 4pm.
- Closed Saturdays, Sundays, national holidays, Golden Week holidays, summer Bon holidays, and year-end and new-year holidays.
- Guided tours Monday - Friday: at 9am, 10am, 10:30am, 1pm, 1:30pm, and 2:30pm. Tours last 90 minutes.
How To reach Mint Museum by Public Transport
- Keihan Line Keihan-Nakanoshima Line Tanimachi Line stop Temmabashi Station (Tenmabashi Station).
- Bus 36 stop Higashitenma Higashitenma (bus).
Love this? Explore the entire list of things to do in Osaka before you plan your trip.
Fancy a good night's sleep after a tiring day? Check out where to stay in Osaka and book an accommodation of your choice.
Mint Museum, Osaka Reviews - Write a Review
Great place if you are a numismatist.
Beautiful, BUT SUPER CROWDED, Sakura exhibit that mint opens up ~1week/year. Check online as each year's opening days differ
Very very nice and many different kinds of sakura flowers. But extremely overcrowded during the sakura period.
best for sakura. The museum garden open once a year in April for the week of bloom; you will see amazing varieties of flowering cherries tree. Illumination at night walk, and festival with food stalls.
Highly recommend. Shows the great history of Japan mint factory. Interactive section is such an attraction.
- Nearby Attractions
- 1 Chome Sangenyahigashi
- 2 Chome-6 Shimanouchi
- Naniwa Ward
- Chuo Ward
- Nishinari Ward
- Higashiyodogawa Ward
- Higashimuki Kitamachi
- 1 Chome-7-12 Kyōmachibori
- Yodoyabashi Station
- Osaka Day-wise Trips
- What to See in 24 Hours in Osaka
- What to See in 48 Hours in Osaka
- What to See in 72 Hours in Osaka
- How to Spend 5 Days in Osaka
- How to Spend 6 Days in Osaka
- How to Spend 7 Days in Osaka