With 1500 animals representing over 300 species, in a space spread out over 100 thousand square meters, the Tennoji Zoo is one of the largest in Japan. It is also one of the oldest, opened in 1915, since which time it has steadily grown. The main thematic areas are the African Savannah (plant and meat eaters sharing the space), Asian tropical jungle (monkeys and exotic birds), the reptile house, and the hippopotamus house. The zoo also has Japan's only kiwi bird. Ask the handlers about the feeding times.
Tennoji Zoo Travel Tips
- Disabled accessible.
Entrance Ticket Details For Tennoji Zoo
- Free for under 16s, over 65 Osaka residensts, the disabled.
Tennoji Zoo Hours
- Last admission 1 hour before closing.
- Closed on Monday (Tuesday if Monday is a holiday), December 29 - January 1.
How to Reach Tennoji Zoo
- Hanwa Line, Haruka, Kuroshio, Midosuji Line, Osaka Loop Line, Tanimachi Line, Yamatoji Line stop Tennoji Station.
- Trams Hankaidenki-Hankai Line, Sakaisuji Line stop Ebisucho Station.
- Buses 48, 52, 80 stop Subway Dobutsuenmae (bus).
Love this? Explore the entire list of places to visit in Osaka before you plan your trip.
Fancy a good night's sleep after a tiring day? Check out where to stay in Osaka and book an accommodation of your choice.
1.06% of people who visit Osaka include Tennoji Zoo in their plan
09 AM - 10 AM
42.11% of people start their Tennoji Zoo visit around 09 AM - 10 AM
People usually take around 30 Minutes to see Tennoji Zoo
77.78% of people prefer to travel by car while visiting Tennoji Zoo