Rideau Canal, Ottawa
About Rideau Canal, Ottawa
Rideau Canal, Ottawa - Address, Phone Number
Address: Ottawa, ON, Canada
Time Required: 02:00 Hrs
Timings: 09:00 am - 07:00 pm Details
Added 4.3K times in trip plans
Water Body, Family And Kids
Try TripHobo to create your itinerary
Are you associated with this business? Get in touch
The Rideau Canal forms the longest ice-skating rink in the world during winter and offers a range of activities including camping and boating all year round. Opened in the 1830’s as a strategic idea in case of a war with the United States, today the canal is a recreational hub with families and friends spending some quality time camping, mooring or boating at the canal. The Rideau Canal is the oldest operating canal in North America and is a UNESCO Heritage site with the educational tours arranged here adding to its charm.
For visitors who don’t want to explore the activities arranged here, a walk along the canal is just as relaxing.
Rideau Canal Information
- Other contact detail: +1 8194209486
Rideau Canal Ticket Prices
- Group Tour for Commercial Group, per person: $ 3.40
- Education Program: $ 1.90 per person
- Group Camping without Showers, per person: $ 4.90
Lockage: (Per foot)
- Single Lock and Return: $ 0.90
- One Day: $ 1.60
- Transit one-way: $ 4.65
- Six Days: $ 5.05
- Seasonal: $ 8.80
- Seasonal (Rental House Boats): $ 13.10
- Seasonal (Commercial): $ 28.80
- Per Day: $ 9.80
- Per Season: $ 98.10
Mooring: Per Foot:
- Overnight (includes day mooring): $ 0.90
- Seasonal, overnight: $ 9.80
- Seasonal (Commercial), overnight: $ 19.60
For other prices, visit the official website.
Rideau Canal Opening and Closing Hours
- May 20 to June 26: Victoria Day: 9:00 am – 7:00 pm
- June 27 to September 5: Canada Day, August Civic Holiday and Labour Day: 9:00 am – 7:00 pm.
- Sept 6 to Oct 10: Thanksgiving: 9:00 am – 5:00 pm
- For information on changes in timings, visit the official website.
How To reach Rideau Canal by Public Transport
- By Bus: Clegg / Colonel By or at O'Connor / First
- By Taxi
- By renting a Car/ Bicycle.
- On foot
Love this? Explore the entire list of things to do in Ottawa before you plan your trip.
Fancy a good night's sleep after a tiring day? Check out where to stay in Ottawa and book an accommodation of your choice.
Rideau Canal, Ottawa Reviews - Write a Review
Highly recommended. You can park at the Dow's Lake pavilion or on many of the side streets in the Glebe and Old Ottawa South. Skating is dependent on the weather. Skating season runs from early Jan to mid Feb usually. The conditions of the ice vary daily. Google Rideau Canal Ice Conditions before you go. Some people are lucky enough to be able to skate to work downtown! In the winter you can rent push sleighs at the pavilion. In the summer you can rent canoes and kayaks and paddle boats there.
One of my best places in Ottawa. Year around, something eventful is happening here. If you like water, greenery and trails this place is for you. In winter this is world’s largest ice rink and free. Most people have this on their bucket list.
Went for a Rideau Canal cruise with my kids (ages 3 & 4) and it was very nice. Beautiful scenery all along the canal and the tour guide was very friendly and had lots of fun facts to share. The boat was very large and clean and offered a nice view regardless of where you chose to sit. Was a little too long for Yong kids but I would recommend for adults and older children. Price was also very reasonable.
Such a beautiful walk, run or bike ride in Ottawa, the Rideau Canal makes me proud to live in Ottawa. My favourite site and resting spot in the city. In the winter time, it becomes the longest skating rink in the world.
One of the best places to visit in Ottawa from the Ottawa locks below the chateau Laurier hotel to dows lake boating biking runny along the bike paths on both sides of the canal
- Nearby Attractions
- Canada Agriculture And Food Museum
- Dows Lake Pavilion
- Lansdowne Park
- The Glebe
- Rideau Falls
- Famous Five Monument
- Ottawa Art Gallery
- Little Rays Reptile Zoo
- Bad Axe Throwing
- Shaw Centre
- Ottawa Day-wise Trips
- What to See in 24 Hours in Ottawa
- What to See in 48 Hours in Ottawa
- What to See in 72 Hours in Ottawa
- How to Spend 5 Days in Ottawa
- How to Spend 6 Days in Ottawa
- How to Spend 7 Days in Ottawa