Rideau CanalCurrently Closed
- Address: Ottawa, ON, Canada
- Timings: 09:00 am - 07:00 pm Details
- Phone: +1-8887738888
- Ticket Price: Free
- Time Required: 02:00 Hrs
- Tags: Water Body, Family And Kids
The Rideau Canal forms the longest ice-skating rink in the world during winter and offers a range of activities including camping and boating all year round. Opened in the 1830’s as a strategic idea in case of a war with the United States, today the canal is a recreational hub with families and friends spending some quality time camping, mooring or boating at the canal. The Rideau Canal is the oldest operating canal in North America and is a UNESCO Heritage site with the educational tours arranged here adding to its charm.
For visitors who don’t want to explore the activities arranged here, a walk along the canal is just as relaxing.
- Other contact detail: +1 8194209486
- Group Tour for Commercial Group, per person: $ 3.40
- Education Program: $ 1.90 per person
- Group Camping without Showers, per person: $ 4.90
Lockage: (Per foot)
- Single Lock and Return: $ 0.90
- One Day: $ 1.60
- Transit one-way: $ 4.65
- Six Days: $ 5.05
- Seasonal: $ 8.80
- Seasonal (Rental House Boats): $ 13.10
- Seasonal (Commercial): $ 28.80
- Per Day: $ 9.80
- Per Season: $ 98.10
Mooring: Per Foot:
- Overnight (includes day mooring): $ 0.90
- Seasonal, overnight: $ 9.80
- Seasonal (Commercial), overnight: $ 19.60
For other prices, visit the official website.
- May 20 to June 26: Victoria Day: 9:00 am – 7:00 pm
- June 27 to September 5: Canada Day, August Civic Holiday and Labour Day: 9:00 am – 7:00 pm.
- Sept 6 to Oct 10: Thanksgiving: 9:00 am – 5:00 pm
- For information on changes in timings, visit the official website.
- By Bus: Clegg / Colonel By or at O'Connor / First
- By Taxi
- By renting a Car/ Bicycle.
- On foot
Love this? Explore the entire list of things to do in Ottawa before you plan your trip.
Fancy a good night's sleep after a tiring day? Check out where to stay in Ottawa and book an accommodation of your choice.
46.97% of people who visit Ottawa include Rideau Canal in their plan
10 AM - 11 AM
77.17% of people start their Rideau Canal visit around 10 AM - 11 AM
People usually take around 2 Hrs to see Rideau Canal
92.64% of people prefer to travel by car while visiting Rideau Canal
Awesome place in the winter for a fun skate with your family. It's a very big place with lots of people but its never crowded. Best place in my opinion to learn how to skate. It's a big place so watch out for children not to get lost while skating. Plus side yet have many beaver tail stations (delicious Canadian treat). In the summer it's a beautiful place to take a walk, or go for a run.
The Rideau Canal skating is definitely a one of a kind must try (bucket list) experience. The weather was warm so the ice wasn't the most ideal but we had a blast regardless. There's skate rental conveniently located on the ice. Also beavertail and apple cider for purchase right on the ice. Its a great experience for non-skaters as well. Many people just go for a leisurely walk on the ice😊❤❤
Skating this was one of the coolest things I have ever done, but the parks department is quite bad about communicating when it will be closed and open. I realize that we are dealing with unpredictable weather, but it should be possible to say “We intend to close if temperatures are consistently above n degrees” or “We are preparing the section between X and Y to open if temperatures stay below freezing today” or something like that. Instead it is constantly playing it by ear and impossible to plan around.
First time skating on the canal in many many years. It was a pretty cold one at -16C, but that meant fewer people and better ice conditions. Don't forget to grab a Beavertail and hot chocolate (pro tip: ask for 50/50 coffee and hot chocolate).
Perfect conditions today for skate on the canal. the temperature most likely scared a lot of people off but with no wind and proper clothing you got to enjoy excellent ice, sunshine and a glorious winter day.