Rideau CanalCurrently Open [Closes at 07:00 pm]
- Address: Ottawa, ON, Canada
- Timings: 09:00 am - 07:00 pm Details
- Phone: +1-8887738888
- Ticket Price: Free
- Time Required: 02:00 Hrs
- Tags: Water Body, Family And Kids
Rideau Canal - Review
The Rideau Canal forms the longest ice-skating rink in the world during winter and offers a range of activities including camping and boating all year round. Opened in the 1830’s as a strategic idea in case of a war with the United States, today the canal is a recreational hub with families and friends spending some quality time camping, mooring or boating at the canal. The Rideau Canal is the oldest operating canal in North America and is a UNESCO Heritage site with the educational tours arranged here adding to its charm.
For visitors who don’t want to explore the activities arranged here, a walk along the canal is just as relaxing.
Rideau Canal Information
- Other contact detail: +1 8194209486
Rideau Canal Ticket Prices
- Group Tour for Commercial Group, per person: $ 3.40
- Education Program: $ 1.90 per person
- Group Camping without Showers, per person: $ 4.90
Lockage: (Per foot)
- Single Lock and Return: $ 0.90
- One Day: $ 1.60
- Transit one-way: $ 4.65
- Six Days: $ 5.05
- Seasonal: $ 8.80
- Seasonal (Rental House Boats): $ 13.10
- Seasonal (Commercial): $ 28.80
- Per Day: $ 9.80
- Per Season: $ 98.10
Mooring: Per Foot:
- Overnight (includes day mooring): $ 0.90
- Seasonal, overnight: $ 9.80
- Seasonal (Commercial), overnight: $ 19.60
For other prices, visit the official website.
Rideau Canal Opening and Closing Hours
- May 20 to June 26: Victoria Day: 9:00 am – 7:00 pm
- June 27 to September 5: Canada Day, August Civic Holiday and Labour Day: 9:00 am – 7:00 pm.
- Sept 6 to Oct 10: Thanksgiving: 9:00 am – 5:00 pm
- For information on changes in timings, visit the official website.
How To reach Rideau Canal by Public Transport
- By Bus: Clegg / Colonel By or at O'Connor / First
- By Taxi
- By renting a Car/ Bicycle.
- On foot
Love this? Explore the entire list of things to do in Ottawa before you plan your trip.
Fancy a good night's sleep after a tiring day? Check out where to stay in Ottawa and book an accommodation of your choice.
Things to Know Before Visiting Rideau Canal
95% of people who visit Ottawa include Rideau Canal in their plan
10 AM - 11 AM
63.27% of people start their Rideau Canal visit around 10 AM - 11 AM
People usually take around 2 Hrs to see Rideau Canal
87.05% of people prefer to travel by car while visiting Rideau Canal
Rideau Canal Map
Rideau Canal Trips
Rideau Canal, Ottawa Reviews
A beautiful feature of Ottawa, this picturesque waterway actually extends through the Rideau lake system and down to Kingston. For the portion that winds through Ottawa, there are bike paths and parks almost along the entire length. There are a couple of restaurants at one end and a pretty decent pub at Pretoria bridge. If you are planning to stroll along the banks, bring water or anything else you need because Ottawa is way too lame to allow for small pop-up cafes, food carts, or beer stands.
Ii just moved here this week and decided to walk the canal from Carleton University up to the canals behind the Parliament building on a lovely Spring day. It's a beautiful walk. Lots of stunning houses along the canal. It's very clean. Almost no garbage visible and very few cigarette butts on the ground. I don't remember any graffiti. If I was a tourist I wouldn't walk the canal as far as I did but it is worth it to do it near the Parliament for a kilometre or so.
Beautiful walk. Does not feel like you are in a major city. Provides green space year round. You can walk, run, bike, relaxing stroll. Connects to University of Ottawa and Carleton University. Longest skating rink in the winter.
Cast a fishing line from a rocky outcrop. Visit Victorian towns and military blockhouses. Cycle a woodland pathway and picnic alongside hand-operated locks on the 19th century Rideau Canal, an historic waterway linking a scenic string of rivers and lakes. Quickly constructed in a time of military threat, the length of the canal is now a diverse outdoor playground where history mingles with the mellow Eastern Ontario countryside. The navigation season runs from Victoria Day to Thanksgiving (mid-May to mid-October).
Nice place to ride a bicycle or rollerblading. Even jogging or walking. A very nice view. If you have a canoe you can also enjoy canoeing allong the channel. It is a mandatory visiting place in Ottawa city.
All QuestionsRideau canal
- Eleele Baptist Church
- Episcopal Church On West Kauai
- Kauai Sea Tours
- Holo Holo Charters
- Captain Andy's Sailing Adventures
- Port Allen Small Boat Harbor
- King's Cathedral & Chapels
- Bubbles Below Scuba Charters
- Kauai Charter Sportfishing
- Glass Beach
- Queensbath Princeville Kauai
- Kauai Charter Sport Fishing
- Actors - Ames Community Theater
- Wakefield Woods
- The Space For Ames