Rideau Canal, OttawaCurrently Open
- Address: Ottawa, ON, Canada
- Timings: 09:00 am - 07:00 pm Details
- Phone: +1-8887738888
- Time Required: 02:00 Hrs
- Tags: Water Body, Family And Kids
About Rideau Canal, Ottawa
The Rideau Canal forms the longest ice-skating rink in the world during winter and offers a range of activities including camping and boating all year round. Opened in the 1830’s as a strategic idea in case of a war with the United States, today the canal is a recreational hub with families and friends spending some quality time camping, mooring or boating at the canal. The Rideau Canal is the oldest operating canal in North America and is a UNESCO Heritage site with the educational tours arranged here adding to its charm.
For visitors who don’t want to explore the activities arranged here, a walk along the canal is just as relaxing.
Rideau Canal Information
- Other contact detail: +1 8194209486
Rideau Canal Ticket Prices
- Group Tour for Commercial Group, per person: $ 3.40
- Education Program: $ 1.90 per person
- Group Camping without Showers, per person: $ 4.90
Lockage: (Per foot)
- Single Lock and Return: $ 0.90
- One Day: $ 1.60
- Transit one-way: $ 4.65
- Six Days: $ 5.05
- Seasonal: $ 8.80
- Seasonal (Rental House Boats): $ 13.10
- Seasonal (Commercial): $ 28.80
- Per Day: $ 9.80
- Per Season: $ 98.10
Mooring: Per Foot:
- Overnight (includes day mooring): $ 0.90
- Seasonal, overnight: $ 9.80
- Seasonal (Commercial), overnight: $ 19.60
For other prices, visit the official website.
Rideau Canal Opening and Closing Hours
- May 20 to June 26: Victoria Day: 9:00 am – 7:00 pm
- June 27 to September 5: Canada Day, August Civic Holiday and Labour Day: 9:00 am – 7:00 pm.
- Sept 6 to Oct 10: Thanksgiving: 9:00 am – 5:00 pm
- For information on changes in timings, visit the official website.
How To reach Rideau Canal by Public Transport
- By Bus: Clegg / Colonel By or at O'Connor / First
- By Taxi
- By renting a Car/ Bicycle.
- On foot
Love this? Explore the entire list of things to do in Ottawa before you plan your trip.
Fancy a good night's sleep after a tiring day? Check out where to stay in Ottawa and book an accommodation of your choice.
Rideau Canal, Ottawa Reviews
Was a fun place to visit. Went for a skate and the ice was fantastic. Stopped to have a Beaver Tail and it was delicious. They even had a heated hut to eat the Beaver Tail and it was a good thing because it was pretty cold. If your in Ottawa in the winter season bring your skates this is a must do. Bring lots of warm clothing
Amazing place to skate! The Ice Dragon Boat Festival down on Dow Lake was something else as well! I really appreciated the 0.2km markers along they way. They really helped in letting me know how far I skated! Wow, way to go Ottawa!!
My family and I absolutely love skating the Rideau Canal. We live in Brossard near Montreal, but skating the Rideau has become an annual event for us. We typically spend the entire day in the Ottawa area and always include a yummy lunch at one of it's local restaurants. We always have plenty of fun.
Here is the most beautiful part of Ottawa city . I have seen this canal during the winter and it was so great with nice environment. You have the chance of Ice skating on it for free during the winter , keep in mind you have to know skating really good to start skating on the canal because the Ice condition is not the same in whole canal. I can guess how this canal whould make Ottawa more beautiful during summer.
The Rideau canal is a great place to be both in the summer and winter. Good for canoeing and kayaking during the warmer months, and skating and eating beaver tails when it freezes over. It is accessible by many stairways, and has cycling paths on both sides.