Rideau CanalCurrently Closed
- Address: Ottawa, ON, Canada
- Timings: 09:00 am - 07:00 pm Details
- Phone: +1-8887738888
- Ticket Price: Free
- Time Required: 02:00 Hrs
- Tags: Water Body, Family And Kids
Rideau Canal - Review
The Rideau Canal forms the longest ice-skating rink in the world during winter and offers a range of activities including camping and boating all year round. Opened in the 1830’s as a strategic idea in case of a war with the United States, today the canal is a recreational hub with families and friends spending some quality time camping, mooring or boating at the canal. The Rideau Canal is the oldest operating canal in North America and is a UNESCO Heritage site with the educational tours arranged here adding to its charm.
For visitors who don’t want to explore the activities arranged here, a walk along the canal is just as relaxing.
Rideau Canal Information
- Other contact detail: +1 8194209486
Rideau Canal Ticket Prices
- Group Tour for Commercial Group, per person: $ 3.40
- Education Program: $ 1.90 per person
- Group Camping without Showers, per person: $ 4.90
Lockage: (Per foot)
- Single Lock and Return: $ 0.90
- One Day: $ 1.60
- Transit one-way: $ 4.65
- Six Days: $ 5.05
- Seasonal: $ 8.80
- Seasonal (Rental House Boats): $ 13.10
- Seasonal (Commercial): $ 28.80
- Per Day: $ 9.80
- Per Season: $ 98.10
Mooring: Per Foot:
- Overnight (includes day mooring): $ 0.90
- Seasonal, overnight: $ 9.80
- Seasonal (Commercial), overnight: $ 19.60
For other prices, visit the official website.
Rideau Canal Hours
- May 20 to June 26: Victoria Day: 9:00 am – 7:00 pm
- June 27 to September 5: Canada Day, August Civic Holiday and Labour Day: 9:00 am – 7:00 pm.
- Sept 6 to Oct 10: Thanksgiving: 9:00 am – 5:00 pm
- For information on changes in timings, visit the official website.
How To reach Rideau Canal by Public Transport
- By Bus: Clegg / Colonel By or at O'Connor / First
- By Taxi
- By renting a Car/ Bicycle.
- On foot
Love this? Explore the entire list of things to do in Ottawa before you plan your trip.
Fancy a good night's sleep after a tiring day? Check out where to stay in Ottawa and book an accommodation of your choice.
Things to Know Before Visiting Rideau Canal
48.32% of people who visit Ottawa include Rideau Canal in their plan
10 AM - 11 AM
77.17% of people start their Rideau Canal visit around 10 AM - 11 AM
People usually take around 2 Hrs to see Rideau Canal
92.64% of people prefer to travel by car while visiting Rideau Canal
Rideau Canal Trips
Rideau Canal, Ottawa Reviews
When it comes to history Ottawa is full of interesting tidbits and more. Even though I've lived here all my life I still am finding nuggets of information that I didnt know about my own city. I would say go downtown and look around and visit places like parks and galleries, Parliament Hill, Supreme Court of Canada and more!!!
Always a beautiful view along the Canal. This isn't my first run along the Canal, but this was my first time doing it for the Army Run. Did it as a family and we had a blast. Already looking forward to doing it again next year.
This place is amazing! We can walk around it located at down town Ottawa! Every look beautiful and the people are friendly! They don't have alot of food around or coffee shop. But it's a good place for a walk and learn new things
Beautiful area around the Rideau Canal with walkways and green space for kilometers in both directions. Educational for the kids since, in the warmer months, you can stand and watch the locks in action. (That is, if you have an hour to spare to watch the water slowly full up and go out.) Foot traffic / bicycles only next to the canal however there are parking lots along the way. Road is not far off in most places and follows the route of the canal.
Brilliant tour trip! Very informative, and guide was hilarious the while way through, whilst getting the topic over and the facts out. Very enjoyable for adults and kids alike. If you only have time for one thing in Ottawa, make it this (after the light show!)