Rideau CanalCurrently Closed
- Address: Ottawa, ON, Canada
- Timings: 09:00 am - 07:00 pm Details
- Phone: +1-8887738888
- Time Required: 02:00 Hrs
- Tags: Water Body, Family And Kids
About Rideau Canal, Ottawa
The Rideau Canal forms the longest ice-skating rink in the world during winter and offers a range of activities including camping and boating all year round. Opened in the 1830’s as a strategic idea in case of a war with the United States, today the canal is a recreational hub with families and friends spending some quality time camping, mooring or boating at the canal. The Rideau Canal is the oldest operating canal in North America and is a UNESCO Heritage site with the educational tours arranged here adding to its charm.
For visitors who don’t want to explore the activities arranged here, a walk along the canal is just as relaxing.
Rideau Canal Information
- Other contact detail: +1 8194209486
Rideau Canal Ticket Prices
- Group Tour for Commercial Group, per person: $ 3.40
- Education Program: $ 1.90 per person
- Group Camping without Showers, per person: $ 4.90
Lockage: (Per foot)
- Single Lock and Return: $ 0.90
- One Day: $ 1.60
- Transit one-way: $ 4.65
- Six Days: $ 5.05
- Seasonal: $ 8.80
- Seasonal (Rental House Boats): $ 13.10
- Seasonal (Commercial): $ 28.80
- Per Day: $ 9.80
- Per Season: $ 98.10
Mooring: Per Foot:
- Overnight (includes day mooring): $ 0.90
- Seasonal, overnight: $ 9.80
- Seasonal (Commercial), overnight: $ 19.60
For other prices, visit the official website.
Rideau Canal Opening and Closing Hours
- May 20 to June 26: Victoria Day: 9:00 am – 7:00 pm
- June 27 to September 5: Canada Day, August Civic Holiday and Labour Day: 9:00 am – 7:00 pm.
- Sept 6 to Oct 10: Thanksgiving: 9:00 am – 5:00 pm
- For information on changes in timings, visit the official website.
How To reach Rideau Canal by Public Transport
- By Bus: Clegg / Colonel By or at O'Connor / First
- By Taxi
- By renting a Car/ Bicycle.
- On foot
Love this? Explore the entire list of things to do in Ottawa before you plan your trip.
Fancy a good night's sleep after a tiring day? Check out where to stay in Ottawa and book an accommodation of your choice.
Things to Know Before Visiting Rideau Canal
95% of people who visit Ottawa include Rideau Canal in their plan
10 AM - 11 AM
62.17% of people start their Rideau Canal visit around 10 AM - 11 AM
People usually take around 2 Hrs to see Rideau Canal
86.82% of people prefer to travel by car while visiting Rideau Canal
Rideau Canal Map
Rideau Canal Trips
Rideau Canal, Ottawa Reviews
Was a fun place to visit. Went for a skate and the ice was fantastic. Stopped to have a Beaver Tail and it was delicious. They even had a heated hut to eat the Beaver Tail and it was a good thing because it was pretty cold. If your in Ottawa in the winter season bring your skates this is a must do. Bring lots of warm clothing
The canal on the day I went during long weekend was rough and had so many cracks in it. I kept seeing people fall and I as well got my skates stuck in a crack and fell cause it was so deep. Line ups for rentals are super long on a busy weekend so be prepared. The hot chocolate stand had interesting flavours but came out Luke warm. Interesting experience if the ice was in better condition. I think I skated 5km or more.
Beautiful landmark of Ottawa. The Rideau canal, being a historical staple of Ottawa is an exciting visit anytime of year. Whether skating during the winter on the world’s largest skating rink, visiting one of the many locks, biking along either side of the canal, it is always an amazing Ottawa experience. Kayak/canoe rentals during the summer were a fun way to see the city from the water.
It's more than historical... It's an opportunity to enjoy the activities and events all year round. Whether your out for some fitness or talking a walk, you will enjoy it. Skating on the canal in the winter is something you just have to do!
Nice place for a walk in the summer. You can see the boats going up and down the locks. Fascinating for kids to watch, but don't let them get too close.