The museum is in one of the oldest functioning buildings in Plaza Mayor namely the Episcopal Palace. The best example of Romanesque civil style, the museum’s collection include pieces dating from Palaeolithic times to the current day.
- There pre historic exhibitions of stones and carving tools used by Palaeolithic humans.
- One section explores the Iron-Age hill forts and features an original collection of stone sculptures and warriors.
- Weapons, sculptures and funeral tombstones and a whole set of liturgical objects from the Romanesque and Medieval times.
- Monastery Paintings, Wood carvings, apothecary jars, fabrics and ornaments from the renaissance era.
Archaeological Museum Travel Tips
- The museum premises are currently undergoing refurbishment, and the exhibition spaces are closed. However, the San Francisco exhibition room is hosting the exhibition entitled 'Sculpture Anthology.
- The San Francisco hall houses the collection ‘Escolma de escultura’. For timings and further notices check the website.
How to Reach Archaeological Museum
- Located in Plaza Mayor, to the left of Town Hall.
- Restaurante Catador
- Porta Da Aira
Love this? Explore the entire list of places to visit in Ourense before you plan your trip.
Fancy a good night's sleep after a tiring day? Check out where to stay in Ourense and book an accommodation of your choice.
95% of people who visit Ourense include Archaeological Museum in their plan
2 PM - 3 PM
52% of people start their Archaeological Museum visit around 2 PM - 3 PM
People usually take around 1 Hr to see Archaeological Museum
93.65% of people prefer to travel by car while visiting Archaeological Museum