Catedral De Ourense, Ourense
Catedral De Ourense, Ourense - Address, Phone Number
Address: Catedral de Ourense, Praza do Trigo, S/N, 32005 Ourense, Spain
Time Required: 01:30 Hrs
Timings: 11:30 am - 07:30 pm Details
Added 2.2K times in trip plans
Religious Site, Monument, Family And Kids, Cathedral
Try TripHobo to create your itinerary
Are you associated with this business? Get in touch
About Catedral De Ourense, Ourense
Declared as a National monument in 1931, the Ourense Cathedral is a result of eight centuries of construction and altercations. From the time it was founded in 550 A.D till now, it has undergone various changes in its architectural style- ranging from Romanesque, Gothic, Renaissance, Baroque, Neo-classical to finally incorporate the Latin Cross plan.
- There are four entrances from four directions into the cathedral. Each of the entrances have intricately designed archivolts with the most striking being the west one, named portico of Paradise.
- The Portico of Paradise was built by students of Master Mateo. Its three arches have intricately designed sculpture of incidents and events from the Bible, Centaurs fighting Mermaids, Dragons and Harpies.
- Perhaps its most striking feature is the use of color palettes which were restored in the 18th century from the original Romanesque polychrome.
- On the outside a huge octagonal lantern tower and a gothic dome from the inside was built somewhere in the 15th century. The dome which is about 200 feet tall, adds a royal feel to the place with its beautifully sculpted statues and walls.
- The Cathedral also served as the final resting place of its keepers. Among them were Bishop Vasco Perez Marino, Bishop Lorenzo, Don Alonzo Gonzales del Padron to name a few.
- The crucifix in the cathedral is said to be the most revered in all of Galicia.
Catedral De Ourense Ticket Prices
- Free admission.
How To reach Catedral De Ourense by Public Transport
- Nearest Train Station: Ourense San Farancisco.
Restaurants Near Catedral De Ourense
- Mata lo Bicho
- Restaurante do Perico
Love this? Explore the entire list of things to do in Ourense before you plan your trip.
Fancy a good night's sleep after a tiring day? Check out where to stay in Ourense and book an accommodation of your choice.
Catedral De Ourense, Ourense Reviews - Write a Review
Beautiful cathedral! The audio tour was very informative.
Stunning! Don't miss the portal, wow!
Maravillosa la Capilla del Santo Cristo. Su retablo es espectacular, es por ello que la sillería puede pasar desapercibida. El resto de la Catedral lo puntuaría con 4* Muy amable la señorita que me atendió. Vale la pena utilizar la autoguía. El precio de la entrada para jóvenes es de 3€. Destacan los puntos 2, 4, 10 y 14
Me ha sorprendido e impresionado mucho el interior de esta catedral con el precioso retablo y su maravilloso Pórtico. Viendo el exterior no te esperas esto. Muy acertada la explicación del evangelio. FELICIDADES
Impresionante el interior. Su parte exterior no le hace justicia, increíble el pórtico, el retablo mayor y la capilla del Santo Cristo. Merece muchísimo la pena.