Catedral De Ourense219 Votes Currently Open
- Address: Catedral de Ourense, Praza do Trigo, S/N, 32005 Ourense, Spain
- Timings: 11:30 am - 07:30 pm Details
- Phone: +34-988220992
- Time Required: 01:30 Hrs
- Tags: Religious Site, Monument, Family And Kids, Cathedral
Declared as a National monument in 1931, the Ourense Cathedral is a result of eight centuries of construction and altercations. From the time it was founded in 550 A.D till now, it has undergone various changes in its architectural style- ranging from Romanesque, Gothic, Renaissance, Baroque, Neo-classical to finally incorporate the Latin Cross plan.
- There are four entrances from four directions into the cathedral. Each of the entrances have intricately designed archivolts with the most striking being the west one, named portico of Paradise.
- The Portico of Paradise was built by students of Master Mateo. Its three arches have intricately designed sculpture of incidents and events from the Bible, Centaurs fighting Mermaids, Dragons and Harpies.
- Perhaps its most striking feature is the use of color palettes which were restored in the 18th century from the original Romanesque polychrome.
- On the outside a huge octagonal lantern tower and a gothic dome from the inside was built somewhere in the 15th century. The dome which is about 200 feet tall, adds a royal feel to the place with its beautifully sculpted statues and walls.
- The Cathedral also served as the final resting place of its keepers. Among them were Bishop Vasco Perez Marino, Bishop Lorenzo, Don Alonzo Gonzales del Padron to name a few.
- The crucifix in the cathedral is said to be the most revered in all of Galicia.
Entrance Ticket Details For Catedral De Ourense
- Free admission.
How to Reach Catedral De Ourense
- Nearest Train Station: Ourense San Farancisco.
- Mata lo Bicho
- Restaurante do Perico
Love this? Explore the entire list of places to visit in Ourense before you plan your trip.
Fancy a good night's sleep after a tiring day? Check out where to stay in Ourense and book an accommodation of your choice.
95% of people who visit Ourense include Catedral De Ourense in their plan
4 PM - 5 PM
78.57% of people start their Catedral De Ourense visit around 4 PM - 5 PM
1 Hr 30 Minutes
People usually take around 1 Hr 30 Minutes to see Catedral De Ourense
95% of people prefer to travel by car while visiting Catedral De Ourense