Monterrey CastleCurrently Closed
- Address: De Verin,32618 Monterrei, Ourense (Galicia), Spain
- Timings: 10:30 am - 07:00 pm Details
- Phone: +34-646777341
- Ticket Price: Free
- Time Required: 01:00 Hrs
- Tags: Castle, Historical Site, Family And Kids
Aptly named as ‘The Acropolis’, Monterrey castle is the largest of its type in Galicia. Built in 12th century, it played an important role throughout the Portugal-Spanish wars. Having been strategically located right at the edge Spanish border the castle intersects three camino routes. It was also an important stop off point for pilgrims on their way St James’ tomb in Santiago de compostella.
- Since built specifically for safeguarding purposes the castle’s defensive architecture is eminent by its fortifications.
- Inside, the Counts Palace lies within the three walled enclosure. Built somewhere between 15th and 17th century in the renaissance style, it features a symmetrical upper and lower arcade with arches and columns.
- The most outstanding feature of the castle would be the Homage tower. With walls 3 metre thick and 22.3 metres high, the chiselled emblems of individual masons are still visible on many of the granite blocks.
- It’s a great place to stop for coffee or a cake or sample a glass of local wine with family and friends.
- On a clear night the castle is beautifully lit up and is even visible form the neighbouring hills of Chaves in Portugal.
- By Road - Travel in the direction Ourense on highway N525, turn right to pass a vinery on the left.
- Maria Toxina Restaurante
- Restaurante Meson O Candil
- Casa du Pulpo
Love this? Explore the entire list of things to do in Ourense before you plan your trip.
Fancy a good night's sleep after a tiring day? Check out where to stay in Ourense and book an accommodation of your choice.
95% of people who visit Ourense include Monterrey Castle in their plan
10 AM - 11 AM
56.67% of people start their Monterrey Castle visit around 10 AM - 11 AM
People usually take around 1 Hr to see Monterrey Castle
92.86% of people prefer to travel by car while visiting Monterrey Castle