Oseira Monastery, Ourense
Oseira Monastery, Ourense - Address, Phone Number, Ticket Price
Address: 32135 Oseira, San Cristovo de Cea, Ourense (Galicia)
Ticket Price: 3 EUR
Time Required: 01:00 Hrs
Timings: 10:00 am - 07:30 pm Details
Added 806 times in trip plans
Church, Family And Kids, Monastery
Try TripHobo to create your itinerary
Are you associated with this business? Get in touch
About Oseira Monastery, Ourense
Isolated in the Arenteiro Valley this Trappist monastery is popular with its pilgrims on the Camino de Santiago. Declared as a National Monument, Oseira monastery is in existence since 1137. Saint Bernard had sent an order of French monks to the monastery in 1141 and after centuries of maintenance they left in 1835. They returned in 1929 and rebuilt the destroyed portions of the monastery.
- The Church was built in a classic Roman style. Taking inspirations from Preregrination churches it is considered as a landmark of Roman architecture in the Spanish Peninsula.
- Inside, the main chamber is known as ‘palm tree room’ and boasts of a dome supported by four columns.
- It also has a lapidarium which is a collection of stone pieces obtained during restoration.
- Apparently, today there are only 13 monks in the monastery. They also have a small shop where they sell souvenirs, cheese, honey and liquor made by them and it is also where the pilgrims can get their books stamped.
Oseira Monastery Information
- It is preferable to park a bit ahead and visit the monastery on foot.
- Stay in the monastery is possible with prior appointments.
- There’s also an abergue for pilgrims to stay which costs about EUR 5.
- On Sundays the monks mass is at 11:30 am.
Oseira Monastery Ticket Prices
- Groups- EUR 1.5
- Below 9 years of Age- Free
Oseira Monastery Opening and Closing Hours
- Guided Tours on Monday to Saturday : 10:00 am, 11:00 am, 12:00 pm, 3:30 pm, 4:30 pm, 5:30 pm, 6:30 pm.
- On Sunday : 12:45 pm, 3:30 pm, 4:30 pm, 5:30 pm, 6:30 pm.
How To reach Oseira Monastery by Public Transport
- By Road - Located about 40km from Ourense. Take N525 and turn right near Costa and take OU 0406.
Restaurants Near Oseira Monastery
- Perez Bar
- Restaurante Venture
Love this? Explore the entire list of things to do in Ourense before you plan your trip.
Fancy a good night's sleep after a tiring day? Check out where to stay in Ourense and book an accommodation of your choice.