Christ Church CathedralCurrently Closed
- Address: St Aldate's Oxford OX1 1DP, United Kingdom
- Timings: 10:00 am - 04:15 pm Details
- Phone: +44018-65276150
- Ticket Price: 9 EUR
- Time Required: 03:00 Hrs
- Tags: Religious Site, Family And Kids, Cathedral
The largest college and cathedral church at University of Oxford, Christ Church is a truly magical place. It was established in 1524 as a Cardinal’s College. The college is an architectural marvel. It was designed and adorned by Pre-Raphaelites William Morris and Edward Burne-Jones. Since its creation, it has inspired the creation of many academic institutions around the world.
Don’t be surprised if your brain starts playing the Harry Potter theme song as you take your first steps into the Great Hall at Christ Church. The place graciously lent its magic to the filming of the Harry Potter movies. The college’s Great Hall, staircases, hallways were used for various scenes in the movie. The place has had a long and eventful relationship with literature. The Christ Church features in Lewis Carroll’s Alice’s Adventures in Wonderland, Yeats’ poetry and was quoted by Shakespeare himself!
- Apart from producing British and international politicians by the dozen, Christ Church has notable alumni in other fields too. Many celebrated academicians, novel prize winners, scientists have walked these halls. Albert Einstein and Lewis Carroll were students here.
- Visitors can take guided tours at the Christ Church. The tour lasts approximately an hour after which you are free to explore the area by yourself.
- Mad Hatter’s Tea Party – enjoy a well thought out tea party in the Christ Church’s magnificent hall and participate in a lively talk on Lewis Carroll, celebrated alumni and author. They also offer a pre-tea tour of places at Chris Church that inspired Lewis Carroll.
If you feel that a few hours at this hallowed place are just not enough, you might be in luck - on few occasions every year, Christ Church provides visitors the chance to stay on the premises.
- Not all parts of Christ Chair can be accessed through wheelchairs.
- Major events and tours can be booked online. Places sell out very quickly so make sure you book well in advance.
- Since Christ Church is a fully functional religious and academic institution, some areas of the premises might be closed without prior notice.
- Children under 5 get free entry.
- Concessions are available for students carrying student IDs, senior citizens, family groups and children (5-17 years).
- Rates vary to some extent when the Hall and/or Cathedral are closed. Rates are also different for different months. Consult website.
- The Hall often remains closed between 11:40am and 2:30pm.
- By Bus: St Aldates (Stop H2) – 23, 300. St Aldates (Stop H5) – Oxford Tube, OXF, T1, X1, X1C, X2 , X32, X33, X34, X39, X40, X90.
- Shanghai 30’s
- The Old Tom
- St. Aldates Tavern
- The Bear Inn
Love this? Explore the entire list of things to do in Oxford before you plan your trip.
Fancy a good night's sleep after a tiring day? Check out where to stay in Oxford and book an accommodation of your choice.
22.44% of people who visit Oxford include Christ Church Cathedral in their plan
10 AM - 11 AM
94.79% of people start their Christ Church Cathedral visit around 10 AM - 11 AM
People usually take around 3 Hrs to see Christ Church Cathedral
54.55% of people prefer walking in order to reach Christ Church Cathedral
What are visiting times for the dining hall on a MondayAnswer Report Abuse