Magdalen College177 Votes Currently Open
- Address: High St., OxfordOX1 4AU, England, United Kingdom
- Timings: 01:00 pm - 05:00 pm Details
- Phone: +44018-65276000
- Ticket Price: 5 GBP
- Time Required: 03:00 Hrs
- Tags: Educational Site, Architecture
Magdalen College is truly, despite undeniably tough competition, one of the most beautiful colleges at Oxford. After all, this is the place that inspired the creation of characters in Narnia. It was founded in mid-15th century and soon became one of the richest colleges at Oxford.
Magdalen College has its own Deer Park and is situated on the banks of River Cherwell. In the past, the Deer Park area was put to numerous different uses. For a long time, the area was maintained as an orchard and has also been used as a location to house tractions engines. Herds of Fallow Deer are a common sight at the Park during winter months.
Many parts of the huge college grounds are ideal places to take quiet walks. Built in the early 1200s, Magdalen Tower is the oldest part of the college and can be accessed by visitors. The small chapel at Magdalen College is a beautiful structure and lends its solemnness and character to the entire place.
The likes of Oscar Wilde, C.S. Lewis and Edward Gibbons were members of the Magdalen College. Even today, the students of the college are known for their active presence in various academic clubs and societies, sports, and general social life. The college choir happens to be famous not only in Oxford, but throughout the world.
Magdalen College Travel Tips
- The pronunciation for Magdalen is ‘Maudlin’.
- No more than 20 people in a group.
Entrance Ticket Details For Magdalen College
- Concession on ticket prices is available.
- Tickets come with information leaflets which are available in a variety of languages.
Magdalen College Hours
- Opening hours vary from season to season.
- The recommended time to visit is at 3 pm.
- Magdalen College is open throughout the year.
How to Reach Magdalen College
- By Bus: Queens Lane (Stop K5) 108, 118, 270, 275, 280, LGW, LHR, X90.
- The High Table
- Taylors of Oxford Deli
- The Rose
- The Grand Cafe
- Queen’s Lane Coffee House
Love this? Explore the entire list of places to visit in Oxford before you plan your trip.
Fancy a good night's sleep after a tiring day? Check out where to stay in Oxford and book an accommodation of your choice.
11.99% of people who visit Oxford include Magdalen College in their plan
12 PM - 1 PM
86.36% of people start their Magdalen College visit around 12 PM - 1 PM
People usually take around 3 Hrs to see Magdalen College
76.47% of people prefer to travel by car while visiting Magdalen College