University Church Of St. Mary The Virgin399 Votes Currently Open
- Address: High Street, Oxford OX1 4BJ, United Kingdom
- Timings: 09:00 am - 05:00 pm Details
- Phone: +44018-65279111
- Ticket Price: 4 EUR
- Time Required: 02:00 Hrs
- Tags: Church, Landmark, Historical Site, Family And Kids, Architecture , Exhibition
There is no dearth of churches at Oxford, but the Church of St. Mary the Virgin is probably the oldest and most beautiful parish church in the city. The Church also holds a special place in the history of the English Reformation. The ‘Virgin Porch’ beneath the Church Tower has a statue of the Virgin and the Child that had been damaged by bullet holes during the Cromwell revolution. Since the building was regarded as the first building of the university, it would not be an exaggeration to say this happens to be the birth place of the University of Oxford.
The stained glass windows and the paintings over the chancel alter are some of the most remarkable features of the Church design.
- Join the tour groups that explore various sections and offer fascinating information about the origin of this historic landmark and the events that took place here.
- Climb up to the Church tower, the oldest part St. Mary’s, to see the pretty skyline of Oxford. Good luck with the 127 narrow steps though.
- Drop in at the Vaults and Garden located at the Church’s old congregation house. You can enjoy meals around the day here while you sit and gaze contemplatively at the Radcliffe Camera.
The gift shop at the Church offers a decent collection of souvenirs, books on the architecture and history of the Church, postcards, guidebooks and more.
University Church Of St. Mary The Virgin Travel Tips
- Visitors with heart conditions or other medical ailments should refrain from climbing the Church Tower.
- The Church Tower does not have disabled access.
Entrance Ticket Details For University Church Of St. Mary The Virgin
- The ticket price applies to the guided tours. There is no cost to enter the church but visitors need to buy tickets to enter the Tower.
- Discount on tickets is available for children (aged 5-15), senior citizens, families and University of Oxford students.
University Church Of St. Mary The Virgin Hours
- The Church is closed when private ceremonies are on.
How to Reach University Church Of St. Mary The Virgin
- By bus: Turl Street (Stop L1) – 12C, 101, 103, 104, 108, 118, 270, 275, 280, N1, N3, N8, NU1, T1. Queens Lane (Stop J3) – 3, 3B, 4, 4A, 4B, 5, 13, 23, 270, 280, 400, N3.
- Vaults and Garden
- Quod Brasserie
- Mission Burrito
- Patisserie Valerie
Love this? Explore the entire list of places to visit in Oxford before you plan your trip.
Fancy a good night's sleep after a tiring day? Check out where to stay in Oxford and book an accommodation of your choice.
29.1% of people who visit Oxford include University Church Of St. Mary The Virgin in their plan
1 PM - 2 PM
62.39% of people start their University Church Of St. Mary The Virgin visit around 1 PM - 2 PM
People usually take around 2 Hrs to see University Church Of St. Mary The Virgin
77.67% of people prefer to travel by car while visiting University Church Of St. Mary The Virgin