Glen Canyon Dam Overlook123 Votes Currently Open
- Address: Glen Canyon National Recreation Area, Scenic View Rd, Page, AZ 86040, USA, United States
- Timings: 24-hrs Details
- Phone: +1-9286086200
- Time Required: 01:30 Hrs
- Tags: Waterfront, View Point, Family And Kids, Dam
A short 20 minutes’ hike from the parking at the National Park Service land takes you to the fabulous overlook point where you can see the Glen Canyon Dam- one of the largest dams in United States.
The Glen canyon dam intercepts the Colorado river at a height of 710 feet and a length of 1560 feet and is the only source of water for south-west United States! The dam adds to the city’s popular recreational pulse and is responsible for providing water and electricity. Apart from the stunning view of the sandstone terrain that casts a spell on anyone who visits, do take some time to notice the metallic rails added by a man who lost his dogs here and wanted a pet-friendly space near the lookout. For avid hikers and trekkers, the place is perfect for a short hike with family and friends while the lookout itself makes for a great spot to click some pictures.
Glen Canyon Dam Overlook Travel Tips
- Carry bottled drinking water and food and wear sturdy shoes for the hike.
Entrance Ticket Details For Glen Canyon Dam Overlook
Other Ticket Prices:
General Admission Fee:
Entrance Fees Weekly: 1-7 Day Vehicle Entrance - USD25.00 (Admits one single, private, non-commercial vehicle and all its passengers)
- 1-7 Day Motorcycle Entrance - USD20.00 (Admits one single, private, non-commercial motorcycle and its riders)
- 1-7 Day Individual Entrance - USD12.00 (Admits one individual when entering on foot, or bicycle. Not to exceed USD20 vehicle fee. Individuals 15 years of age and younger are admitted free)
- 1-7 Day Boating Entrance - USD30.00 (Admits one single private vessel)
- 1-7 Day Boating Entrance additional vessel - USD30.00 (Admits one single private vessel on the same trailer as a vessel paying full entry fees)
Commercial Tour Fees:
- Are applicable, check official website for details.
- Camping Fees are variable for different campgrounds, refer official website for details.
- Note: A 50% discount applies to holders of the Senior or Access Pass. Holder of the pass must occupy the discounted site.
Glen Canyon Dam Overlook Hours
- All Park: Glen Canyon Opening Hours: Glen Canyon National Recreation Area is open 24 hours per day, year-round.
- Visitor Center: Glen Canyon Headquarters: This building is only partially open to the public, but sells passes year-round. Open weekdays from 7.00 am- 4.00 pm; closed weekends and Federal Holidays.
- Visitor Center - Carl Hayden Visitor Center: Summer hours (mid-May - mid-September): 8.00 am – 6.00 pm MST; Winter Hours (November through February) daily 8.00 am – 4.00 pm MST; rest of year open daily 8.00 am – 5.00 pm MST; Closed Thanksgiving, Christmas, and New Year’s Day
- Visitor Center - Bullfrog Visitor Center Hours vary throughout the year. If the American flag is flying, the building is open.
- Visitor Center - Navajo Bridge Interpretive Center: Open daily April through October and closed during Winter.
- Visitor Center - Escalante Interagency Visitor Center: has reduced hours in winter.
How to Reach Glen Canyon Dam Overlook
- Airport: Page Municipal Airport (located around 4 kilometers away from the Canyon)
- By Renting a Car/Bike
- By Ferry/ Boat
Love this? Explore the entire list of places to visit in Page before you plan your trip.
Fancy a good night's sleep after a tiring day? Check out where to stay in Page and book an accommodation of your choice.
14.82% of people who visit Page include Glen Canyon Dam Overlook in their plan
3 PM - 4 PM
49.06% of people start their Glen Canyon Dam Overlook visit around 3 PM - 4 PM
1 Hr 30 Minutes
People usually take around 1 Hr 30 Minutes to see Glen Canyon Dam Overlook
95% of people prefer to travel by car while visiting Glen Canyon Dam Overlook
Glen Canyon Dam Overlook Reviews & Ratings
An easy walk from parking lot to see spectacular gorge carved by river below. Dominated by plenty of the red (iron rich) rock this area is famous for. Beautiful rock outcroppings. Interesting flora and lizards! Photo opportunities! Recommended.
No words can describe how beautiful this place was! It looks exactly like you see it on postcards. It was a perfect day! All you do is drive up to the "Scenic Lookout" street and you're there. It was free too!
Perfect view of the dam. Only about 200 steps from the parking lot to the overlook. Some actual steps, some slated rock faces. A little difficult to keep balance, but nothing crazy. Also has a view from the parking lot. Just as good.
A bit of a hike but well worth it! Be sure to bring water, you will need it. We hiked a bit off the pathway & were able to get some amazing pics. If you stick to the pathway you still get some nice views but I highly recommend going off a ways away from the crowds if you can handle it ;)
Good view and not so crowded. The location of the hotel is very convenient for viewing this canyon. You can do a morning jog and run to this canyon and just view it. Not too many people here but nonetheless, amazing view.