Imagine pillars and walls of sheer, sharp earth scything towards the sky from their base. That's what you're mainly here to see, sedimentary rocks of sandstone, siltstone, limestone, and shale eroded by millions of years of wind and rain. Among these rock live a variety of wildlife -desert bighorn sheep, pronghorns, mountain lions, the endangered California condor, golden eagles, peregrine falcons and bald eagles. There are signs of native settlement from 12000 years ago. The highlights are:
- Buckskin Gulch: The world's longest slot canyon.
- White Pockets: An elevated area with sights including Teepees (tent-shaped rocks), 1000 pockets (area with huge water pockets) and Coyote Buttes.
- North Coyote Buttes: The 'Wave' is the most famous destination in the park, formed in Jurassic times, a hypnotizing and striking landform.
- South Coyote Buttes Tour: A shorter hike, this one has even more photo opportunities.
- Paria Canyon: 38 miles worth of slot canyon hiking.
Collectively this monument area is regarded as one of the world's best hiking destinations. Keep in mind that each one of these areas can take multiple days to hike. There are also two campgrounds you should read up on - the Stateline and the Whitehouse.
Vermilion Cliffs National Monument Travel Tips
- Permits required for Coyote Buttes North, Coyote Buttes South, and overnight trips within Paria Canyon.
- It may be best to travel this monument via guided tours. They will better be able to lead you to the highlights.
- Bring a LOT of water. You won't find any in here.
- If driving a 4X4, make sure you have a full tank of gas.
- Find information about trailheads and maps on the Bureau of Land Management website.
How to Reach Vermilion Cliffs National Monument
- Visitors usually drive Jacob Lake, and then get off to go view the mountains.
Love this? Explore the entire list of places to visit in Page before you plan your trip.
Fancy a good night's sleep after a tiring day? Check out where to stay in Page and book an accommodation of your choice.
21.9% of people who visit Page include Vermilion Cliffs National Monument in their plan
52.38% of people start their Vermilion Cliffs National Monument visit around 07 AM
People usually take around 5 Hrs to see Vermilion Cliffs National Monument
95% of people prefer to travel by car while visiting Vermilion Cliffs National Monument