Vermilion Cliffs National MonumentCurrently Open
- Address: Vermilion Cliffs National Monument, Marble Canyon, AZ 86036, Page, United States
- Timings: 24-hrs Details
- Ticket Price: Free
- Time Required: 05:00 Hrs
- Tags: Outdoors, Hiking Trail, Monument, Family And Kids, Adventure, Canyon, Nature
Vermilion Cliffs National Monument - Review
Imagine pillars and walls of sheer, sharp earth scything towards the sky from their base. That's what you're mainly here to see, sedimentary rocks of sandstone, siltstone, limestone, and shale eroded by millions of years of wind and rain. Among these rock live a variety of wildlife -desert bighorn sheep, pronghorns, mountain lions, the endangered California condor, golden eagles, peregrine falcons and bald eagles. There are signs of native settlement from 12000 years ago. The highlights are:
- Buckskin Gulch: The world's longest slot canyon.
- White Pockets: An elevated area with sights including Teepees (tent-shaped rocks), 1000 pockets (area with huge water pockets) and Coyote Buttes.
- North Coyote Buttes: The 'Wave' is the most famous destination in the park, formed in Jurassic times, a hypnotizing and striking landform.
- South Coyote Buttes Tour: A shorter hike, this one has even more photo opportunities.
- Paria Canyon: 38 miles worth of slot canyon hiking.
Collectively this monument area is regarded as one of the world's best hiking destinations. Keep in mind that each one of these areas can take multiple days to hike. There are also two campgrounds you should read up on - the Stateline and the Whitehouse.
Vermilion Cliffs National Monument Information
- Permits required for Coyote Buttes North, Coyote Buttes South, and overnight trips within Paria Canyon.
- It may be best to travel this monument via guided tours. They will better be able to lead you to the highlights.
- Bring a LOT of water. You won't find any in here.
- If driving a 4X4, make sure you have a full tank of gas.
- Find information about trailheads and maps on the Bureau of Land Management website.
How To reach Vermilion Cliffs National Monument by Public Transport
- Visitors usually drive Jacob Lake, and then get off to go view the mountains.
Love this? Explore the entire list of things to do in Page before you plan your trip.
Fancy a good night's sleep after a tiring day? Check out where to stay in Page and book an accommodation of your choice.
Things to Know Before Visiting Vermilion Cliffs National Monument
95% of people who visit Page include Vermilion Cliffs National Monument in their plan
06 AM - 07 AM
25.78% of people start their Vermilion Cliffs National Monument visit around 06 AM - 07 AM
3 Hrs 30 Minutes
People usually take around 3 Hrs 30 Minutes to see Vermilion Cliffs National Monument
95% of people prefer to travel by car while visiting Vermilion Cliffs National Monument
Vermilion Cliffs National Monument Map
Vermilion Cliffs National Monument Trips
Vermilion Cliffs National Monument, Page Reviews
Beautiful. I was only driving past it. But the drive was amazing. Beautiful and awe inspiring. I can't believe how beautiful Earth is. And we need to preserve beautiful Earth.
This is a beautiful area along 89a in Northern Arizona. Whether you are river rafting or fishing from Lee's Ferry or on your way to the North Rim of the Grand Canyon you definitely want to stop and marvel at the beauty of the Vermillion Cliffs. There are many pull-outs along the way to explain the history of the area and how the layers formed.
Absolutely breath-taking!! Most people drive South from Utah to visit the North Rim of the Grand Canyon and don't realize that this amazing view is only a few minutes past Jacob Lake. Worth the extra trip!
Great open area. Take in the vastness of it. Drive from North to South Rim 4 hours? Not if you enjoy this. We spent 10 hours on the drive.
Stunning views abound and the colors are breathtaking. I could spend weeks exploring here.
All QuestionsVermilion cliffs national monument
- Maengwyn Hir Caravan Park
- Ace Framing & Art Gallery
- Coxs Tackle
- Stephensons Memorial Works
- Real Simulation
- Trout, Graham, Flies
- Caeran Caravan Park
- Brampton Gardens Green
- Guide Post Library
- Capricorn Mobile Disco
- Holy Family Parent And Toddler Group
- Bomersund Social Club
- Cleaswell Hill Library
- Paddock Hall Equestrian Centre