A little further south down the Route 89 from the Horseshoe bend, you'll find the waterhole canyon, a beautiful series of slot canyons and gorges cutting through Navajo red sandstone. It's not as famous as antelope Canyon, even though it is nearly as pretty. Since 2010, only the narrowest sections close to the east side may be visited independently; to go deeper into the canyon you need guided tours. There are several distinct sections to watch out for:
- West of US 89 (Downstream): A quiet and eerie section with floors usually left quite wet after flooding, and sharp drops in other places.
- East of US 89 (Upstream): A curious sight is the remains of a car wedged between the rock walls.
- West Fork of Upper Water Holes Canyon: A wavy strata of rock with sandy washes, a sunlit chamber and multiple branches to explore.
- Middle Fork of Upper Water Holes Canyon: A narrow streamway leads into a beautiful area called Secret Canyon, with sunny and shadowed in ethereal patterns.
Each of these areas have detailed access guides which may be found online, or better yet, through a guided tour, if this is your first time here. Also keep in mind that this canyon is best suited to rappellers, and those not willing to scale huge walls with ropes will have a hard time getting around.
Waterholes Canyon Travel Tips
- Permit must be gotten from the Fish and Wildlife department.
- Check at the Tribal Parks Office next to the Leche-e Chapter House, or from the Lake Powell Navajo Tribal Park Office - Antelope Canyon. Contact them 3-4 weeks before your visit.
Waterholes Canyon Hours
- Lake Powell Navajo Tribal Park Office-Antelope Canyon: Monday-Friday: 8:00 am - 5:00 pm.
How to Reach Waterholes Canyon
- Drive to the canyon entrance.
Love this? Explore the entire list of places to visit in Page before you plan your trip.
Fancy a good night's sleep after a tiring day? Check out where to stay in Page and book an accommodation of your choice.
48.94% of people who visit Page include Waterholes Canyon in their plan
08 AM - 09 AM
54.43% of people start their Waterholes Canyon visit around 08 AM - 09 AM
People usually take around 3 Hrs to see Waterholes Canyon
95% of people prefer to travel by car while visiting Waterholes Canyon