Waterholes Canyon, Page
Waterholes Canyon, Page - Address
Address: Waterhole Canyon, Page, AZ 86040
Time Required: 03:00 Hrs
Timings: 24-hrs Details
Added 4.2K times in trip plans
Outdoors, Tour, Family And Kids, Canyon, Nature
Try TripHobo to create your itinerary
Are you associated with this business? Get in touch
About Waterholes Canyon, Page
A little further south down the Route 89 from the Horseshoe bend, you'll find the waterhole canyon, a beautiful series of slot canyons and gorges cutting through Navajo red sandstone. It's not as famous as antelope Canyon, even though it is nearly as pretty. Since 2010, only the narrowest sections close to the east side may be visited independently; to go deeper into the canyon you need guided tours. There are several distinct sections to watch out for:
- West of US 89 (Downstream): A quiet and eerie section with floors usually left quite wet after flooding, and sharp drops in other places.
- East of US 89 (Upstream): A curious sight is the remains of a car wedged between the rock walls.
- West Fork of Upper Water Holes Canyon: A wavy strata of rock with sandy washes, a sunlit chamber and multiple branches to explore.
- Middle Fork of Upper Water Holes Canyon: A narrow streamway leads into a beautiful area called Secret Canyon, with sunny and shadowed in ethereal patterns.
Each of these areas have detailed access guides which may be found online, or better yet, through a guided tour, if this is your first time here. Also keep in mind that this canyon is best suited to rappellers, and those not willing to scale huge walls with ropes will have a hard time getting around.
Waterholes Canyon Information
- Permit must be gotten from the Fish and Wildlife department.
- Check at the Tribal Parks Office next to the Leche-e Chapter House, or from the Lake Powell Navajo Tribal Park Office - Antelope Canyon. Contact them 3-4 weeks before your visit.
Waterholes Canyon Opening and Closing Hours
- Lake Powell Navajo Tribal Park Office-Antelope Canyon: Monday-Friday: 8:00 am - 5:00 pm.
How To reach Waterholes Canyon by Public Transport
- Drive to the canyon entrance.
Love this? Explore the entire list of things to do in Page before you plan your trip.
Fancy a good night's sleep after a tiring day? Check out where to stay in Page and book an accommodation of your choice.
Waterholes Canyon, Page Reviews - Write a Review
This is where you can rest in peace.. meditate if you are hiking solo. You cannot afford to be reckless when you are going at it alone.
A magic secret that's easy to get to and only requires Navajo permit.
It's a little difficult finding a place to descend into the canyon but once there it's an awesome hike. Highly recommended if you're at least an intermediate hiker.
Amazing place for a hike! May not be easy for everyone