Waterholes CanyonCurrently Open
- Address: Waterhole Canyon, Page, AZ 86040, United States
- Timings: 24-hrs Details
- Ticket Price: Free
- Time Required: 03:00 Hrs
- Tags: Outdoors, Tour, Family And Kids, Canyon, Nature
Waterholes Canyon - Review
A little further south down the Route 89 from the Horseshoe bend, you'll find the waterhole canyon, a beautiful series of slot canyons and gorges cutting through Navajo red sandstone. It's not as famous as antelope Canyon, even though it is nearly as pretty. Since 2010, only the narrowest sections close to the east side may be visited independently; to go deeper into the canyon you need guided tours. There are several distinct sections to watch out for:
- West of US 89 (Downstream): A quiet and eerie section with floors usually left quite wet after flooding, and sharp drops in other places.
- East of US 89 (Upstream): A curious sight is the remains of a car wedged between the rock walls.
- West Fork of Upper Water Holes Canyon: A wavy strata of rock with sandy washes, a sunlit chamber and multiple branches to explore.
- Middle Fork of Upper Water Holes Canyon: A narrow streamway leads into a beautiful area called Secret Canyon, with sunny and shadowed in ethereal patterns.
Each of these areas have detailed access guides which may be found online, or better yet, through a guided tour, if this is your first time here. Also keep in mind that this canyon is best suited to rappellers, and those not willing to scale huge walls with ropes will have a hard time getting around.
Waterholes Canyon Information
- Permit must be gotten from the Fish and Wildlife department.
- Check at the Tribal Parks Office next to the Leche-e Chapter House, or from the Lake Powell Navajo Tribal Park Office - Antelope Canyon. Contact them 3-4 weeks before your visit.
Waterholes Canyon Opening and Closing Hours
- Lake Powell Navajo Tribal Park Office-Antelope Canyon: Monday-Friday: 8:00 am - 5:00 pm.
How To reach Waterholes Canyon by Public Transport
- Drive to the canyon entrance.
Love this? Explore the entire list of things to do in Page before you plan your trip.
Fancy a good night's sleep after a tiring day? Check out where to stay in Page and book an accommodation of your choice.
Things to Know Before Visiting Waterholes Canyon
95% of people who visit Page include Waterholes Canyon in their plan
09 AM - 10 AM
35.63% of people start their Waterholes Canyon visit around 09 AM - 10 AM
2 Hrs 30 Minutes
People usually take around 2 Hrs 30 Minutes to see Waterholes Canyon
93.56% of people prefer to travel by car while visiting Waterholes Canyon
Waterholes Canyon Map
Waterholes Canyon Trips
1 View3 Days 2 Nights3 Day Trip to Page from Grand Canyon National Park
Waterholes Canyon, Page Reviews
Hopefully this remains somewhat of a secret, because it's incredible!
Awesome, totally worth checking into and the small fee.
This is where you can rest in peace.. meditate if you are hiking solo. You cannot afford to be reckless when you are going at it alone.
It's a little difficult finding a place to descend into the canyon but once there it's an awesome hike. Highly recommended if you're at least an intermediate hiker.
All QuestionsWaterholes canyon
- Pillow Well Silver Band
- Onatti Productions
- United Benefice Of Parkend & Viney Hill
- Onatti Theatre Co
- St Mary's Presbytery
- Clifford Ghinn
- AKA Karaoke Plus
- East Wittering Beach
- Island Meadow Parks
- Holy Trinity C Of E Church
- St John The Baptist C Of E Church
- Jane Osmond
- Pembrokeshire Candle Centre
- St Mary Magdalene Church
- Scratch The Cat