Palermo CathedralCurrently Closed
- Address: Corso Vittorio Emanuele, 90040 Palermo, Italy
- Timings: 09:00 am - 05:30 pm Details
- Phone: +39-091334373
- Ticket Price: Free
- Tags: Church, Religious Site, Historical Site, Family And Kids, Architecture , Cathedral
This is an architectural complex dedicated to Roman Catholic Archdiocese of Palermo. The church was erected in early 12th century and has been restored, renovated and modified several times by several styles which makes it a versatile structure defined by various cultures.
With the additions to the original structure of Walter Ophamil by world renowned artists like Ferdinando Fuga, Francesco Miranda, Antonio Gambara, Antonello Gagini and many others, the present day cathedral stands as an epitome of combination cultures. Also a mosque once, after the Islamic invasion, the first column of the original basilica has verses of Quran carved on it.
The notable features of the cathedral are the Latin style interiors, the royal tombs, the gothic-catalan wooden choir and the treasure of the cathedral which is composed of sacred vestments from the 16th and 18th centuries, frontals, monstrance, chalices, a breviary miniato of the 15th century and the tiara gold Constance of Aragon.
Enamels, Embroidery, jewelry and the bell system are unique findings.
The roof of the cathedral is accessible and offers a breathtaking panorama of the city of Palermo.
- Modest dressing is recommended.
- Speak in low voice and try your best to maintain peace.
- Do not eat inside the cathedral.
- Avoid going into prayer halls and meditation centers.
- Avoid photography.
- Suspend the visit during the Sacred Liturgy.
- Radio guidance with headphones is available for a group of more than 9 people accompanying with a guide.
- The treasure - crypt, tombs, museums and roofs have separate entry fees.
- Children have a concession in the fees.
- Combined tickets are available.
- The roof area is open for visitors from 09:00 am to 12:00 am.
- On foot, bus line no 105, 107, 101, 139,339, 309 and 389, rented car.
- White Coffee di Maurizio Velletri Cattedrale di Palermo
Love this? Explore the entire list of things to do in Palermo before you plan your trip.
Fancy a good night's sleep after a tiring day? Check out where to stay in Palermo and book an accommodation of your choice.
95% of people who visit Palermo include Palermo Cathedral in their plan
09 AM - 10 AM
58.08% of people start their Palermo Cathedral visit around 09 AM - 10 AM
People usually take around 30 Minutes to see Palermo Cathedral
68.55% of people prefer walking in order to reach Palermo Cathedral
People normally club together Palazzo Riso Or Museo D Arte Contemporanea Della Sicilia and Tempio Munito Fortezza Mistica while planning their visit to Palermo Cathedral.