Back in 75 B.C a Roman general by the name of Pompey set a military base in the area which later was recognized as the city of Pamplona, which was actually the Spanish translation of Pompey. The city has preserved its history in the form of intact monumental buildings, medieval walls, churches, stone paved streets, squares and more. The route of the Way of Saint James defined through the lands of Navarre significantly influences the appearance and the history of Pamplona.
Pamplona, a renowned Spain destination across the globe for running of the bulls which happens during the festival of San Fermin is the prime most Spanish city on the route of St. James (Camino de Santiago). The city of Pamplona is the historical capital of the region of Navarra with the fourth largest bullring in the world and the second largest bullring in Spain.
The city serves as an entertainment zone with ample of exciting festivals, activities and tourist spots to explore. Located on the snow-capped foothills of the Pyrenees Range, the city is the epitome for several activities like skiing, mountaineering, hiking, wildlife and the splendid scenery. Be it the calm and composed scenic beauty or the enthusiastic festivals, tourism in Pamplona is bound to surprise its visitors with its versatility and contradicting delights.
The city of Pamplona is very popular for the delicious appetizers (tapas) with red wine and the delectable authentic food it serves. The serenity and zeal the city possesses makes the trip to Pamplona, Spain, an ideal getaway from a hectic routine. So if it is time for an exquisite Spanish holiday, it is time for Pamplona.
Essential travel information and Pamplona tips for your visit
- Pamplona has wide walking street with live music and people that create a pleasant atmosphere around the city. You would usually never find the need for Public transport in the city.
- People under the age of 18 are not allowed to participate in the Bull Run.
- The city sells souvenirs like small bulls, red & white clothes, festival T-shirts, etc. on almost every corner while the old town sells antiques and artistic handicrafts.
- During the festival of San Fermin you are bound to come across pickpockets so don’t leave your valuables unattended.
- Advance booking is recommended especially during festive season.
Pamplona Trip Planner
Plan your customized day by day trip plan for Pamplona. Choose from various experinces categories as adventure, romantic and family and kids friendly for your trip using using Pamplona trip planner.
The best tours and activities in the city, guided by experts to give you a local insight to the best of Pamplona
Bilbao and Guggenheim Museum small group tourNew on TripHobo
Bilbao,Guggenheim and Gaztelugatxe small group tour, lunch includedNew on TripHobo
Pamplona and Olite Royal Palace small group tour, lunch includedNew on TripHobo
Pamplona pintxo tasting paired with Spanish wines small group tourNew on TripHobo
Rioja Like A Native Wine Tour
9 Hrs191 Reviews