The Conciergerie in Paris is most famous for being the prison where Maria Antoinette and Napoleon III were held. The room where Marie Antoinette was held is now converted to a chapel dedicated to one of the most iconic queens in the world.
The Conciergerie roots back to the 6th century when Clovis constructed a royal home here on the Ile de la Cité. The place was later occupied by Philip II of France in the 13th century. A chapel was added to the building by Louis IX and the building was later remodeled under the order of Philip IV. In spite of its existence since the 6th century, the building was always in the hands of only the powerful rulers and towards the end of the 18th century (during the French revolution), its conversion to a prison proved pivotal. Today, the place serves as a courthouse.
- Marie Antoinette's Cell
- The Hall of the Guards (that dates back to the medieval times)
- The spooky dungeons that remain unused for the last 30 years
Apart from the breath-taking architecture, visit the Conciergerie to touch a part of history that shaped the world.
- Adult: Euros 9
- Reduced Price: Euros 7
- Free: for Under 18 (with family and excluding school groups) - 18-25 (citizens of the 27 countries of the European Union and non-European residents regularly resident in France) - Disabled people and their attendant - Jobseekers, on presentation of a jobseeker's certificate dated within the last 6 months. ICOM Card holder.
- Group Price: Euro 7 per person (for 20 people)
Combined ticket (Conciergerie+ Sainte Chapelle):
- Full price: € 15
- Reduced price: € 12.50
- Group price : € 12.50
- By Metro: Cité
- By Bus: Cité - Palais de Justice
- By Taxi
- By renting a Bike/ Bicycle
- On foot
Love this? Explore the entire list of things to do in Paris before you plan your trip.
Fancy a good night's sleep after a tiring day? Check out where to stay in Paris and book an accommodation of your choice.
0.83% of people who visit Paris include Conciergerie in their plan
09 AM - 10 AM
41.52% of people start their Conciergerie visit around 09 AM - 10 AM
People usually take around 30 Minutes to see Conciergerie
60.66% of people prefer to travel by car while visiting Conciergerie