Notre Dame Cathedral
Tours for Notre Dame Cathedral
About Notre Dame Cathedral, Paris
If you are wondering where Paris’ heart lies, then it is here. Also known as Our Lady of Paris, this cathedral is said to be one of the first Gothic cathedrals whose construction took place during the Gothic period. You can find gothic influences in its sculptures and the stained glasses of the cathedral’s windows. Its excellent interior decor is a marvelous example of medieval engineering. This might be the primary reason why it attracts more number of visitors as compared to the Eiffel Tower.
The most highlighted features of the cathedral are the three main entrances. Each of them is shaped differently and is accompanied with statues which were once colored to mark Bible lessons.
While there, you have to check out the towers of Notre Dame Cathedral, a UNESCO world heritage site. Apart from being architecturally stunning and historically significant, they also afford magnificent views of Paris and the River Seine. Extremely popular amongst tourists, you will encounter long lines to get in, but every minute spent waiting will feel worth the sight that awaits you after the steep climb.
Notre Dame Cathedral Information
- The cathedral is accessible by buses, tour buses, taxis and velib.
- Part of the cathedral: the nave, side aisles and the transept are accessible for reduced mobility individuals.
- The cathedral is open throughout the year. From May to October, the cathedral has night service as well.
- In summer and on major holidays, the church might be a bit crowded. Hence, you might ask to stand for some time to enter.
- Be decently dressed.
- There are close to 150 steps in each tower with almost no resting place in between. That is why it is advisable that people with disabilities and health problems do not attempt to climb the towers.
Notre Dame Cathedral Tickets Prices
- Free Entry to the cathedral.
Entry fees for towers:
- Adults: 8.5€
- Concessions (18 to 25): 5.50 €
- Free admission: Minors under 18.
- Free admission: 18 to 25 years old* (citizens of one of the 27 countries of the EU or are non-European permanent residents of France) * excluding school groups
Notre Dame Cathedral Opening and Closing Hours
- Cathedral reception: 9:30am-6pm (Monday to Friday) & 9am-6pm (Saturday & Sunday)
- Audioguides: 9:30am-6pm (Monday to Saturday) & 1pm-6pm (Sundays)
- Organized visit on English language: 2pm (Wednesday), 2pm (Thursday), 2:30pm (Saturday)
- Timings for organized visit on other languages, visit the official website.
- For mass timings, visit the official website.
How To Get To Notre Dame Cathedral by Public Transport
- By RER: Ligne B Station Saint-Michel-Notre-Dame; Ligne C station Saint-Michel-Notre-Dame
- By metro: Ligne 4-Station Cite or Saint-Michel; Ligne1,11-Station Hotel de Ville; Ligne 10-Station Maubert-Mutualite or Cluny-La Sorbonne; Lignes 7,11 et 14-Station Chatelet
Love this? Explore the entire list of things to do in Paris before you plan your trip.
Fancy a good night's sleep after a tiring day? Check out where to stay in Paris and book an accommodation of your choice.
Address: 6 Parvis Notre-Dame, Place Jean-Paul II, 75004 Paris
Time Required: 02:00 Hrs
Timings: 08:00 am - 06:45 pm Details
Added 377.5K times in trip plans
Religious Site, Family And Kids, Architecture , Cathedral , Sculpture
Try TripHobo Trip Planner
Book Notre Dame Cathedral Tickets And Tours
Visit Notre Dame inside and out with your host and discover the secrets of this gigantic Gothic cathedral. Then, visit the rest of Paris in only one hour on a commented cruise departing from central Paris.
Get to the medieval soul of Paris with a private 4-hour walking tour in the historic heart of the city—the Ile de la Cité. Explore the gothic details and magnificent architecture of Notre Dame Cathedral, inside and out. Get direct VIP access inside the exquisite stained glass interiors of Sainte-Chapelle and the vaulted stone ceilings of the Conciergerie prison. Explore monuments from the Middle Ages—a time of kings, castles, and criminals—to discover the secrets of Paris’ past. Enjoy a comfortable and relaxing tour with your private guide.
Take a small group full-day tour of Paris by minivan for a personalized Paris experience. Your tour combines fast track entry and a guided visit to the Louvre, lunch on a leisurely Seine River cruise, a visit to Notre Dame Cathedral and a tour across the center of Paris by air-conditioned minivan. With a maximum of only eight per group, this small group trip ensures a more intimate experience.
Enjoy a guided introduction and Skip-the-Line access into two of the most beautiful and most visited monuments in Paris!
Surprisingly, the tourist were allowed to walk around the entire cathedral while services were going on. This was not only distracting, but not respectful to the mass. The site itself was impressive, but without paying there is not much to see. Also the ushers during the service were borderline rude. While the collection was being taken, one basket was passed to us and we were able to make a contribution. Another usher came by a few seconds later and tried to pass the basket to us again. When we didn't put anything in to the contribution basket, we received several dirty looks and the usher receiving the basket jiggled the coins and then offered it to us AGAIN! All of this occurred DURING a service. I was very sad that this type of activity was happening in such a beautiful place.
Great thing about Paris, is it is very walkable. Walking along the Seine River, meandering around to this church was nice in itself. The early AM line went fairly quickly as it was not complicated by excessive security checks. Inside, people were respectful and I appreciated the areas of the church where it outlines the history of the structure. Take time to get behind the alter and peek through the windows to the downstairs.
When we got to the Cathedral the line was easily a city block long I really didn't want to wait in line for an hour. As we stood there it started to move pretty fast, free admission! I really enjoyed getting to participate in their service, the Church is still actively worshiping Jesus and displaying generations of it's existence. On the circumference of the sanctuary there are displays set up for you to observe some historical and some are significant events of the church and nation. ie.Notable priests, Joan of Arc, etc. We spent 2 hours here could've taken more but were able to see everything and pick up a souvenir in the shop inside the church in that time.
How can you put less than five stars here? Marvellous architecture, in all of its possible views: outside in front, to the rear (do not miss it, it is beautiful), inside with these giant ancient windows original at that old times. You must not miss to reach the roof either. Some stairs and there you are, gargoyles at one meter of distance or less, bells ringing very close, and a wonderful outstanding view on Paris. I just find too bad that there is not so much control at the roof. It is getting ruined by vandals fast..
Stunningly breathtaking! The magnificence of this Cathedral cannot be taken with photos it must be experienced. The architecture is just incredibly beautiful. A must see place to visit while in Paris.
- Nearby Attractions
- Pont Alexandre Iii
- Rodin Museum
- Champs Elysees
- Towers Of Notre Dame Cathedral
- Saint Germain Des Pres
- Ile De La Cite
- Army Museum
- Ile Saint-louis
- Pere-Lachaise Cemetery
- Hotels Near Notre Dame Cathedral
- Hotels Near Notre Dame Cathedral
- 5 Star Hotels Near Notre Dame Cathedral
- 4 Star Hotels Hotels Near Notre Dame Cathedral
- 3 Star Hotels Hotels Near Notre Dame Cathedral
- Budget Hotels Near Notre Dame Cathedral
- Cheap Hotels Near Notre Dame Cathedral
- Luxury Hotels Near Notre Dame Cathedral
- Paris Day-wise Trips
- 1 Day in Paris
- 2 Days in Paris
- 3 Days in Paris
- 4 Days in Paris
- 5 Days in Paris
- 6 Days in Paris
- 7 Days in Paris