Chateau De Pau, Pau
About Chateau De Pau, Pau
Chateau De Pau, Pau - Address, Phone Number
Address: 2 Rue du Chateau, 64000 Pau, France
Time Required: 01:30 Hrs
Timings: 09:30 am - 05:00 pm Details
Added 2.3K times in trip plans
Museum, Historical Site, Photo Gallery, Exhibition , Heritage Building
Try TripHobo to create your itinerary
Are you associated with this business? Get in touch
Built during the middle ages, on the banks of river Gave, Chateau de pau is a magnificent castle of great historic importance. Once the birthplace of King Henry IV, then later becoming a holiday home for Napoleon, the Chateau today is a National Museum located at the heart of the city.
Its lush green gardens are home to some remarkable species of trees such Sequoia, Hetre, Orme, Chene and many more while its elaborately decorated interiors are a sight to sore eyes. The ‘Hall of Hundred’ which can house a hundred guests at a time, The Empress’ Apartment, The large Reception hall, all of it adorns the Castle which can be rightly termed as The ‘Crown jewel of Pau’.
One of the most visited sites in Pyrenees-Atlantiques and a home to a beautiful collection of antiques which includes:
- Ceramics and Other Art objects.
- Collection of Old Prints and Photographs.
- Collections of Old Drawings.
- Antique and Royal Furniture Collections.
- Sculpture Collections.
- Collections of Old Coins and Medals.
- Tapestry Collections.
- Collections of Paintings.
Chateau De Pau Information
- Access to People with reduced mobility is restricted to rooms on the ground floor, while for the visually impaired guide dogs are allowed in the museum.
- Access to Museum rooms is subject to baggage control. Luggage such as soft bags, small suitcases, strollers (folding umbrellas) backpacks should be left in the cloakroom whereas the big bags and suitcases are not allowed in the site.
- Cameras without Flash, Video recording and Cell phones are permitted.
- Smoking, drinking and eating are not allowed in the Museum Rooms.
- Pets, except Guide Dogs are not allowed on the site.
The Book store and Boutique here houses a lot of historic books and other interesting stationeries at affordable prices. You can access store without the ticket to the museum. The timings are as follows:
- From September 16th to June 19th: 09:30 am to 11:45 am and 02:00 pm to 5:00 pm.
- From June 15th to June 30th and September 1st to September 15th: 09:30 am to 12:30 pm and 01:30 pm to 5:45 pm.
Chateau De Pau Ticket Prices
- Reduced rate: 5.50 €
- Group rate: € 6 (from 10 non-exempt persons from the entrance fee)
- Free: children under 18 years.
- Access to temporary exhibitions organized by museum is free on first Sundays of every month.
- Special Tariff Pass Pau is available for just EUR 10 which includes visiting the castle of Pau, the museum of Fine Arts or the museum and Bernadotte Audio-guided tour of the city and also gives various discounts.
- Access to The National Domain and The House Baylucq are FREE.
Chateau De Pau Opening and Closing Hours
Castle Museum Timings:
- From June 15th to September 15th: 9:30 am to 12:30 pm and 01:30 pm to 06:45 pm.
- From September 16th to June 14th: 9:30 am to 11:45 am and 02:00 pm to 05:00 pm.
Castle grounds are open during the closure period of Museum.
- From June 15th to September 14th: 08:30 am to 7:30 pm (early closing at 7:15 pm)
- From September 15th to June 14th: 08:30 am to 6:30 pm (early closing at 6:15 pm)
How To reach Chateau De Pau by Public Transport
- From Bordeaux: N134, Centre Ville then Gare / Chateau
- From Bayonne Tarebes and Lourdes: N117, Centre Ville then Gare / Chateau.
- Lines P8, P5, P11, T2, free shuttle coexists.
Restaurants Near Chateau De Pau
- Aux Portes du Chateau
- La Table d’Hote
Love this? Explore the entire list of things to do in Pau before you plan your trip.
Fancy a good night's sleep after a tiring day? Check out where to stay in Pau and book an accommodation of your choice.
Chateau De Pau, Pau Reviews - Write a Review
I loved the gardens and looking at the building but I never went in bc I don't like tours. I know I am stubborn about this. I wish there were another option. Even it were just a small museum.
Great tour with a passionate tour guide who obviously loves what she does. Her knowledge of the history was vast and extremely interesting. A must see.
We had arranged a private tour of the museum. It was great and very informative. Also, lecture about the local culture and history was supperb! Thanks Dr. P!
Interesting history, only downside was the guided tour was all in french. You did get a printed version of the tour in english but wasn't as comprehensive as the explanation from the guide. The light show in the evening was fantastic well worth a visit, on until end of August.
Beautiful chateau inside , and outside , a lovely walk along side the gardens lead you through a tree lined park
- Nearby Attractions
- Eglise Notre Dame Du Bout Du Pont
- Piscine Nautique Pau
- Parking Voiture
- Eglise Du Bout Du Pont
- Le Show Case
- Le Melies
- Restaurants Du Coeur Des Pyrenees Atlantiques
- Pau Day-wise Trips
- What to See in 24 Hours in Pau
- What to See in 48 Hours in Pau
- What to See in 72 Hours in Pau
- How to Spend 5 Days in Pau
- How to Spend 6 Days in Pau
- How to Spend 7 Days in Pau