The historical city of Pecs is situated in south-west Hungary on the slopes of the Mecsek Mountains near the border of Croatia. It’s the fifth largest city of Hungary and the economical and administrative centre of the Baranya County. Pecs’ tourism invites visitors to explore its natural bounty and dazzling nightlife!
It was founded by the Romans all the way back in the 2nd century and was called Sopianae and was an important Christian city. However, before the Roman era, the area of Pecs was occupied by the Celts. In the 1500s, the city came under the rule of the Ottomans and all churches were then destroyed and converted into mosques.
Now, with the history of wars and sieges behind it, the city is considered a religious and cultural melting pot with many Hungarians, Croatians and Danube Swabians living together in peace and harmony. In fact, the city’s tolerance towards different culture is world-renowned. It even won the UNESCO Cities for Peace prize in 1998 for its assistance of refugees of the Balkan wars. Its motto is ‘borderless city’. The city is famous for its religious and historical sites like the Early Christian Mausoleum which is a UNESCO World Heritage Site. Pecs also has a large student community as it is home to the University of Pecs.
With a mild and pleasant climate almost all year round, Pecs is a peaceful and enjoyable city to visit. Don’t let the calmness of the day fool you though. Pecs has a vibrant nightlife that rivals that of Budapest. The city is also famous for its delicious wines which are worth trying when you’re visiting.
Essential travel information and Pecs tips for your visit
- If you’re travelling by bus, be sure that you are carrying your ticket. It doesn’t matter if you are a clueless foreign traveller. You will be heavily fined!
- Communication might be a bit of a problem with shopkeepers and pharmacists as most of them speak Hungarian.
- Taxi drivers are well-versed with the nightlife in Pecs. They can be a great guide if you’re looking to go to popular night spots of the city.
- Even though Pecs is a safe city even at night, keep your wallet in a safe location because pickpocketing is a hazard.
- Pecsi Sorfozde is a brewery in Pecs that produces a special draught beer served only in one restaurant in the entire country: the Cellarium. It is a must-try.
- Tap water all over the city is drinkable.
Pecs Trip Planner
Plan your customized day by day trip plan for Pecs. Choose from various experinces categories as adventure, romantic and family and kids friendly for your trip using using Pecs trip planner.
The best tours and activities in the city, guided by experts to give you a local insight to the best of Pecs