Early Christian Burial TombsCurrently Closed
- Address: Pecs, Apaca utca 14, 7629 Hungary
- Timings: 11:00 am - 02:00 pm Details
- Phone: +36-72224755
- Ticket Price: Free
- Time Required: 03:00 Hrs
- Tags: Art And Culture, Historical Site, Memorial, Family And Kids, Tomb
In the 4th Century AD a beautiful stretch of tombs were made in the historical town of Sopianae. These were broken down by the forces of nature and were buried under the ground to be found later in the present city of Pecs. All the ruins including those of the mosques, the Turkish Baths and Pasha Idris’ tomb are fine examples of the cultural diversity of the Northern and Western provinces of Rome. These are also considered to be the best and only examples of such construction that are found in the country.
- The Early Christian Mausoleum: This is under the largest chapel over here and is decorated with marble work and plant motifs. You can almost clearly see this structure till now. The walls here represent Christian culture that was prevalent long ago.
- The Peter & Paul Tomb: This is 2 storey barrel vaulted tomb that is still undamaged. The frescoes of Christ and Apostle Peter and Paul adorn the wall opposite the entrance. There are also paintings representing the stories of Adam and Eve, Noah, The 3 Kings, Jonas, Virgin Mary along with animal murals look very beautiful.
- The Jug Tomb: This is a barrel vaulted tomb with special double covers. The paintings of animals and geometric patterns that represent the Garden of Eden are eye catching. The picture of a jug and a cup after which the tomb is named symbolizes the holy Sacrament.
The best part about these tombs was that these served as burial chambers as well as memorial chapels. The chambers still have the beautiful decorative murals that were made on them so many years ago. All these murals are based on Christian themes.
This whole area is a protected site and is also an important part of the National History that is very well taken care of.
Love this? Explore the entire list of things to do in Pecs before you plan your trip.
Fancy a good night's sleep after a tiring day? Check out where to stay in Pecs and book an accommodation of your choice.
55.5% of people who visit Pecs include Early Christian Burial Tombs in their plan
10 AM - 11 AM
88.46% of people start their Early Christian Burial Tombs visit around 10 AM - 11 AM
People usually take around 3 Hrs to see Early Christian Burial Tombs
65% of people prefer walking in order to reach Early Christian Burial Tombs