Pecs Cathedral310 Votes Currently Open
- Address: Pecs, Szent Istvan ter 23, 7624 Hungary Map
- Timings: 09:00 am - 05:00 pm Details
- Phone: +36-72513030
- Time Required: 03:00 Hrs
- Tags: Art And Culture, Church, Religious Site, Family And Kids, Architecture , Cathedral
This cathedral was built in the 11th century by Bishop St. Maurice and has been rebuilt several times since then. The reason was the war times that were prevailing in the city earlier on. Only the single, beautiful minaret reminds us that this was a once Turkish Mosque. At present, the Neo- Romanesque exterior that we see was added during the 19th century. The interiors are still basically Gothic with some modifications done in the traditional Baroque style.
The cathedral is an important historic and cultural landmark that represents the reach of the Italian, German and French cultural effects in the area. The works of the famous German artist Keroly lotz and the great romantic Hungarian artist Bertalan Szekely are the most attractive objects here. The other old memories that we still find here are the sculptural and wall painting leftovers of the Medieval Era, pieces from the altar of the Holy Cross and the Western Gateway of the cathedral and the 4 manual program featuring 6101 pipes.
The whole cathedral hall is now used for hosting regular concerts. The fantastic garden just outside the church has the large and elegant Berenyi Fountain; it’s a popular place for folk concerts, dance and fairs.
Pecs Cathedral Travel Tips
- Photography inside is absolutely prohibited.
Love this? Explore the entire list of places to visit in Pecs before you plan your trip.
Fancy a good night's sleep after a tiring day? Check out where to stay in Pecs and book an accommodation of your choice.
- Pecs Cathedral Address: Pecs, Szent Istvan ter 23, 7624 Hungary
- Pecs Cathedral Contact Number: +36-72513030
- Pecs Cathedral Timing: 09:00 am - 05:00 pm
- Best time to visit Pecs Cathedral(preferred time): 10:00 am - 01:00 pm
- Time required to visit Pecs Cathedral: 03:00 Hrs
- Try the best online travel planner to plan your travel itinerary!
69.82% of people who visit Pecs include Pecs Cathedral in their plan
09 AM - 10 AM
70.83% of people start their Pecs Cathedral visit around 09 AM - 10 AM
People usually take around 3 Hrs to see Pecs Cathedral
62.79% of people prefer to travel by car while visiting Pecs Cathedral
People normally club together Ruins Of Benedictine Monastery Of Kaposszentjakab Village and Zsolnay Museum while planning their visit to Pecs Cathedral.
People also prefer to start their day with Pecs Cathedral.