Visit Pelling - Best of Pelling
Pelling is a petite little town that beautifies the state of Sikkim further. The town is enveloped with the magnificent views of the snow-capped Kanchenjunga range, the third highest peak in the world. Although this town’s quaintness might glare too hard, yet Pelling draws tourists for its significant share in history, nature and culture of the state of Sikkim. In order to reach this wonderscape, you will have to go around 10 kms from Gyalshing (District Headquarter). Due to its rich Buddhist/ Hindu heritage and culture along with the splendid views of nature, the town is emerging as the second biggest tourist destination in the state after Gangtok.
A confluence of nature, religion and spirituality, the town is strewn with monasteries that date back to many centuries. Pemayangste monastery is less than a kilometre from Pelling, while a 40 minute walk on the hill opposite the monastery takes you to Sanga Choling monastery built in 1697, one of the first in the state. Offering a perfect backdrop to spiritual architecture here is the serene environment and picturesque setting.
Even the adventure enthusiasts can find their own share of thrill here as the town is perfect for nice nature walks and small treks. Here one can sit by serene lakes or walk through the Rhododendron forests or get wet under the stupendous waterfalls. At 6,800 ft is a viewpoint for the snow capped Khangchendzonga range and provides easy access to other interesting locations in the district. To make your communion with nature more intense, Pelling offers you a number of waterfalls, soft trek routes, villages and gentle ambiance that will keep you tied to this dainty town.
The best time to enjoy the town further would be to visit it during the many festivities that take place here. These festivals usually take around the famous Pemayangtse Monastary & Sangachoeling Monastries in the form of Guruthagmar (around the time of Losar) in the month February/March.
Pelling Travel Tips
Essential travel information and Pelling tips for your visit
- Sikkim follows the same time zone of India. Indian Standard Time (IST) is the time observed throughout India, with a time offset of UTC+5:30.
- The currency operational in Sikkim is INR(Indian Rupees).
- In Sikkim, Type D electrical utlet pugs are used. They have three pins.
- The Sikkimese language, also called "Sikkimese Tibetan", "Bhutia", "Drenjongké" is spoken by the Bhutia in Sikkim and northeast Nepal. The Sikkimese people refer to their own language as Drendzongke and their homeland as Drendzong.
- Any person who is unable to visit the Police Station in person can have access to Police on telephone. In the capital, you can contact the main town Police Station (Sadar PS, Gangtok) by dialing 100, 202022 or 202033. The Police Stations located along the National Highway (NH31A) can be contacted at the following members: Ranipool Police Station - 251712/251718 (STD Code – 03592), Singtam : 233762, Rangpo : 240835
- Prefer traveling in groups rather than alone.
- Dare not to bring drugs or any illegal stuff to India, as it is a crime and the culpable will be treated severely.
- Sikkim lies on the borderline; consequently many areas are restricted from people. Don't try to bribe or take some prohibited action, in order to enter.
- While visiting monasteries, respect the cultural tradition of state. Remove your shoes outside and try not to wear offensive clothes.
Explore the travel itinerary planning tool for your visit to Pelling and create a flawless plan in few simple steps!
Travel to Pelling- Know before you go to Pelling
Pelling Travel Guides
The best trip plans created by users and travel experts that cover the top spots and attractions of Pelling
- Cities Near Pelling
- Champasari Tourism
- Matigara Tourism
- Amarpur Tourism
- Jogbani Tourism
- Kishanganj Tourism
- Gorakhpur Tourism
- Ambhua Tourism
- Chanchal Tourism
- Nagrakata Tourism
- Mokama Tourism
- Bangaon Tourism
- Bora Tourism
- Other Cities on TripHobo
- Animas Tourism
- Porto Tourism
- Bätterkinden Tourism
- Gmina Słopnice Tourism
- Post Office Kratovo Tourism
- Smallwood Tourism
- Isle Of North Uist Tourism
- Locate Varesino Tourism
- Hombourg-budange Tourism
- Lowell Tourism