Khangchendzonga National ParkCurrently Open
- Address: North Sikkim, Sikkim, Pelling, India
- Timings: 24-hrs Details
- Time Required: 04:00 Hrs
- Tags: National Park, Wildlife Park, Family And Kids
The Khangchendzonga National Park extends from the cold deserts of Lhonak Valley and the ridges of Lachen in the North District to the historical place at Yuksom. The Western boundary of the Park runs along the international boundary with Nepal and China. The Park covers an area of 1784 sq.kms. and occupies as much as 25.14% of the total geographical area of Sikkim.
Visiting this park you can enjoy spectacular wilderness with one of the world’s highest peaks towering above. The most magnificent attraction of this park is the Mt. Khangchendzonga itself. This Park contains floral and faunal element that are similar to Palaearctic and Oriental regions and in addition, it has a good representation of species endemic to Himalaya.
Some of these comprise of:
- Cordyceps sinensis, a peculiar sparingly branched fungus plant of highly medicinal value growing in the head of cater pillar which grow underground in alpine meadows.
- Schizandra grandiflora, a primitive climber.
- Helwingia himalaica, Smilax rigida, Euonymons spp., Paphiopedilum faireanum, and Aconitum ferox, etc.
- Among the animals the Red Panda (Ailurus fulgens fulgens, State Animal), Snow Leopard (Uncia uncia), Great Tibetan Sheep (Ovis ammon hodgsoni), Bharal (Pseudois nayuar), Musk deer (Moschus chrysogaster),are Himalayan endemic representation in KNP.
- Black-necked crane (migratory) Grus nigricollis, Grey Peacock Pheasant (Polyplectron bicalcaratum), Himalayan Monal Pheasant (Lophophorus impejanus), Blood Pheasant (Ithaginis cruentus), Satyr Tragopan (Tragopan Satyra), Tibetan Snow Cock (Tetraogallus tibetanus), and Himalayan Snow Cock (Tetraogallus himalayensis) are also among the birds unique to this Park.
How to Reach Khangchendzonga National Park
- Take a cab from Pelling.
Love this? Explore the entire list of places to visit in Pelling before you plan your trip.
Fancy a good night's sleep after a tiring day? Check out where to stay in Pelling and book an accommodation of your choice.
39.77% of people who visit Pelling include Khangchendzonga National Park in their plan
50% of people start their Khangchendzonga National Park visit around 8 PM
People usually take around 4 Hrs to see Khangchendzonga National Park
95% of people prefer to travel by car while visiting Khangchendzonga National Park
People normally also visit Pemayangtse Gompa while planning their trip to Khangchendzonga National Park.