Penang Botanic Gardens, Penang HillCurrently Open [Closes at 08:00 pm]
- Address: Penguasa Taman & Kebun - Kebun Bunga Jabatan Kebun Bunga Jalan Kebun Bunga, 10350, Pulau Pinang, 10350, Malaysia, Penang Hill
- Timings: 05:00 am - 08:00 pm Details
- Phone: +60-42271354
- Time Required: 02:00 Hrs
- Tags: Outdoors, Forest, Island, Trail, Garden, Wildlife Park, Waterfall, Botanical Garden, Tourist Center, Family And Kids, Hill, Resort
About Penang Botanic Gardens, Penang Hill
The Gardens were founded in 1884 by Charles Curtis from the Gardens and Forests Departments Straits Settlements. Walking around the Gardens, one cannot miss the Cannon Ball Tree (Couropita guanensis) and the large buttress roots of the Sengkuang Tree (Dracantamelon dao).
Look out for the Pinang Palm (Areca catechu) that lent its name to the island of Penang, and the Black Lily (Tacca integrifalia) with its unique purplish-black coloured flowers. The endemic Slipper Orchid (Paphiopedilum barbatum) and the ginger, Geoctachys penangensis, can also be found here.
Look out also for the wildlife inhabiting the gardens. Commonly seen are the long-tailed Macaques, Dusky Leaf Monkeys, Black Giant Squirrels and a myriad of insects and butterflies.From afar, one could catch a view of the famous waterfall up on the hills above the reservoir.
Must visit attractions inside the garden:
- Lotus Lake Park
- Home Orchidarium
- Tropical Rain Forest Trail (Trail Curtis)
- Begonia Bromeliad House & Home
- Prime home
- The Fern Rockery
- Cactus House
- Fern house
- Quarry Recreation Park
- Formal Gardens (Formal Garden)
- Sunken Garden
Penang Botanic Gardens Information
- It is important to respect the plants and animals here. Please do not remove, damage, or intentionally disturb them. Please also refrain from using any audio equipment.
- Keep the grounds clean at all times. Do not litter. You can also help us by picking up any rubbish that you come across during your walk.
- Stay on established trails.
- Do not feed the monkeys.
- Guided tours are available.
How To reach Penang Botanic Gardens by Public Transport
- Taxi or rented car
Restaurants Near Penang Botanic Gardens
- Homestayle restoran
Love this? Explore the entire list of things to do in Penang Hill before you plan your trip.
Fancy a good night's sleep after a tiring day? Check out where to stay in Penang Hill and book an accommodation of your choice.