Penang HillCurrently Open
- Address: Jalan Stesen Bukit Benderea, Georgetown, Penang Islands, Malaysia, Penang Hill
- Timings: 24-hrs Details
- Time Required: 02:00 Hrs
- Tags: Hotel, Island, Trail, Safari, Waterfall, River, Botanical Garden, Historical Site, Tourist Center, Family And Kids, Town, Hill, Nature, Resort
About Penang Hill, Penang Hill
Penang Hill is one of the oldest colonial hill station established by the British during their time in Malaysia. Explored in the late 18th century, a horse trail was cut by the Waterfall Gardens (present day Penang Botanic Gardens) to the summit of the hilly spine of Penang, allowing the British to escape from the chaos of George Town to the cooler climate on the hill.
Penang Hill comprises several hills including Strawberry Hill, Halliburton’s Hill, Flagstaff Hill, Government Hill, Tiger Hill and Western Hill. The highest point of this range is at Western Hill, with an elevation of 833m (2,723ft) above sea level. The range also serves as the largest water catchment area on the island, and a number of tributaries to major rivers in Penang.
With an elevation of more than 2,000 ft above sea level, Penang Hill offers the best panorama of George Town, and other conurbations on the eastern coast of Penang Island. Enjoy the view of the northern coast from Crag Hotel, or simply sit back and enjoy the lighting up of George Town at dusk. The cooler climate of Penang Hill is an important factor in the establishment of the hill resort which offers a cooler respite away from the hustle – bustle in George Town and its surrounding areas.
The alluring nature and mesmerizing view is what Penang Hill is known for and we couldn’t agree more!
Penang Hill Information
- Try and visit this place for observing the sunrise or the sunset.
- Carry warm clothes as it gets chilly atop the hill.
- Do carry your camera to capture bewildering shots from above.
Penang Hill Ticket Prices
- The ticket price for Funicular railway is RM 30.
- For children and students, the ticket is RM 15.
- Family packages, monthly packages are also available.
- 50% Discount for all categories after 7pm, Monday to Thursday except Friday, Saturday, School Holiday and Public Holiday.
Penang Hill Opening and Closing Hours
- The timing for the train is 06:30 am to 10:00 pm on weekdays.
- The timing for the train is 06:30 am to 11:00 pm on weekends and public holidays.
How To reach Penang Hill by Public Transport
- Bus No 1/10/91/21 and then the Funicular railway.
Restaurants Near Penang Hill
- Kasim Mustafa
- Nasi Kandar
Love this? Explore the entire list of things to do in Penang Hill before you plan your trip.
Fancy a good night's sleep after a tiring day? Check out where to stay in Penang Hill and book an accommodation of your choice.
Things to Know Before Visiting Penang Hill
95% of people who visit Penang Hill include Penang Hill in their plan
09 AM - 10 AM
74.57% of people start their Penang Hill visit around 09 AM - 10 AM
People usually take around 2 Hrs to see Penang Hill
94.86% of people prefer to travel by car while visiting Penang Hill
Penang Hill Map
Penang Hill Trips
20 Views9 Days 8 Nights10 Day Trip to Langkawi Island, Penang Hill, KualaBy: Siva JaishankarCity: Kuala Lumpur, Langkawi Island, Penang Hill
Penang Hill, Penang Hill Reviews
One of the best views in Penang. A must visit for all tourists who come to Penang Island. To get here, take the 204 bus from Georgetown, you can catch it in front of Chowrasta Market stop. Will take about 30-40 minutes to get here. From the bottom of Penang Hill, take the funicular train up, and enjoy the journey. Penang Hill is the highest spot in the island and a visitor can see almost all of Georgetown as well as the Penang Bridge from the top of the hill. Amazing sight.
Great views atop the hill, vast area. Fun ride uphill tram and golf carts available on hire to roam around the hills and estates. Nearby eateries setup too.
Enjoyed the tram ride up plus the nice view of the city from the top but do not fully enjoy the experience up at the top. The commercial street vendor are absolutely disruptive of the scenic and serene atmosphere. Some have the audacity to completely block 80% of path peddling their goods
First things first, the funicular train ride is to the top of Penang hill is an unique experience one absolutely must not miss out on. Of course, the view from the top is phenomenal and Penang hill is easily the best vantage point to observe Penang in all its glory. The abundance of food options as well as availability public amenities such as washrooms make Penang hill ideal for a picnic or a day trip.
Most people take the cable tram up to the mountain top but what if you can skip the crowd and hike up instead? C’mon, you can do it. It’s 4.5 miles and 2400’ climb from the Moongate. The trail is well marked and took us just over 2 hours. Amazing views of the city, wildlife along the way and you won’t be alone. Saw a surprising number of adventurous souls and hiking clubs using the trail. Very fulfilling adventure.
All QuestionsPenang hill
- First Baptist Church-Thayer
- Grizzly Bowl
- St John's Church-El Dorado
- California Symphony
- Shepherd Of The Hills United Methodist Church
- Ybor City Museum Society
- Vincent Lugo Park
- William S Carlson Library
- Crossfire Family Worship Center
- Harriet Himmel Gilman Theater
- Our Lady Of Perpetual Succour
- The Prayer Center
- Park Bible Baptist Church
- Noho Gallery
- Black Mesa State Park