Penang Hill, Penang Hill
About Penang Hill, Penang Hill
Penang Hill, Penang Hill - Address
Address: Jalan Stesen Bukit Benderea, Georgetown, Penang Islands, Malaysia
Time Required: 02:00 Hrs
Timings: 24-hrs Details
Added 26K times in trip plans
Hotel, Island, Trail, Safari, Waterfall, River, Botanical Garden, Historical Site, Tourist Center, Family And Kids, Town, Hill, Nature, Resort
Try TripHobo to create your itinerary
Are you associated with this business? Get in touch
Penang Hill is one of the oldest colonial hill station established by the British during their time in Malaysia. Explored in the late 18th century, a horse trail was cut by the Waterfall Gardens (present day Penang Botanic Gardens) to the summit of the hilly spine of Penang, allowing the British to escape from the chaos of George Town to the cooler climate on the hill.
Penang Hill comprises several hills including Strawberry Hill, Halliburton’s Hill, Flagstaff Hill, Government Hill, Tiger Hill and Western Hill. The highest point of this range is at Western Hill, with an elevation of 833m (2,723ft) above sea level. The range also serves as the largest water catchment area on the island, and a number of tributaries to major rivers in Penang.
With an elevation of more than 2,000 ft above sea level, Penang Hill offers the best panorama of George Town, and other conurbations on the eastern coast of Penang Island. Enjoy the view of the northern coast from Crag Hotel, or simply sit back and enjoy the lighting up of George Town at dusk. The cooler climate of Penang Hill is an important factor in the establishment of the hill resort which offers a cooler respite away from the hustle – bustle in George Town and its surrounding areas.
The alluring nature and mesmerizing view is what Penang Hill is known for and we couldn’t agree more!
Penang Hill Information
- Try and visit this place for observing the sunrise or the sunset.
- Carry warm clothes as it gets chilly atop the hill.
- Do carry your camera to capture bewildering shots from above.
Penang Hill Ticket Prices
- The ticket price for Funicular railway is RM 30.
- For children and students, the ticket is RM 15.
- Family packages, monthly packages are also available.
- 50% Discount for all categories after 7pm, Monday to Thursday except Friday, Saturday, School Holiday and Public Holiday.
Penang Hill Opening and Closing Hours
- The timing for the train is 06:30 am to 10:00 pm on weekdays.
- The timing for the train is 06:30 am to 11:00 pm on weekends and public holidays.
How To reach Penang Hill by Public Transport
- Bus No 1/10/91/21 and then the Funicular railway.
Restaurants Near Penang Hill
- Kasim Mustafa
- Nasi Kandar
Love this? Explore the entire list of things to do in Penang Hill before you plan your trip.
Fancy a good night's sleep after a tiring day? Check out where to stay in Penang Hill and book an accommodation of your choice.
Penang Hill, Penang Hill Reviews - Write a Review
Nice place to visit and observe the city view from hill, atmosphere and air is fresh and clean. At the top of the mountain, the temperature is cooler than ground. Although it's a little bit crowded but you won't regret to visit there.
What I really enjoy is hamburger 🍔 here. The view in the night was so beautiful.
Great view from the top, however we visited in the school holidays and the queues for the train were unbelievable, 2.5 hours up what looked like an even larger queue to go back down. I would recommend the 5k hike up/down from the botanical gardens, it was steep but enjoyable
A must visit attraction if you’re ever in Penang. Good views.
Beautiful place reminding us of Munnar! I feel that government should control the concrete structures!
- Nearby Attractions
- Sungai Dua Night Market
- Georgetown Hotel
- Gurney Beach Resort Condominium
- The Wembley - A St Giles Hotel
- Eastern & Oriental Hotel
- Cheong Fatt Tze Mansion
- Gurney Plaza, Persiaran Gurney
- Penang Hill Day-wise Trips
- What to See in 24 Hours in Penang Hill
- What to See in 48 Hours in Penang Hill
- What to See in 72 Hours in Penang Hill
- How to Spend 5 Days in Penang Hill
- How to Spend 6 Days in Penang Hill
- How to Spend 7 Days in Penang Hill