Penang HillCurrently Open
- Address: Jalan Stesen Bukit Benderea, Georgetown, Penang Islands, Malaysia, Penang Hill
- Timings: 24-hrs Details
- Ticket Price: Free
- Time Required: 02:00 Hrs
- Tags: Hotel, Island, Trail, Safari, Waterfall, River, Botanical Garden, Historical Site, Tourist Center, Family And Kids, Town, Hill, Nature, Resort
Penang Hill is one of the oldest colonial hill station established by the British during their time in Malaysia. Explored in the late 18th century, a horse trail was cut by the Waterfall Gardens (present day Penang Botanic Gardens) to the summit of the hilly spine of Penang, allowing the British to escape from the chaos of George Town to the cooler climate on the hill.
Penang Hill comprises several hills including Strawberry Hill, Halliburton’s Hill, Flagstaff Hill, Government Hill, Tiger Hill and Western Hill. The highest point of this range is at Western Hill, with an elevation of 833m (2,723ft) above sea level. The range also serves as the largest water catchment area on the island, and a number of tributaries to major rivers in Penang.
With an elevation of more than 2,000 ft above sea level, Penang Hill offers the best panorama of George Town, and other conurbations on the eastern coast of Penang Island. Enjoy the view of the northern coast from Crag Hotel, or simply sit back and enjoy the lighting up of George Town at dusk. The cooler climate of Penang Hill is an important factor in the establishment of the hill resort which offers a cooler respite away from the hustle – bustle in George Town and its surrounding areas.
The alluring nature and mesmerizing view is what Penang Hill is known for and we couldn’t agree more!
- Try and visit this place for observing the sunrise or the sunset.
- Carry warm clothes as it gets chilly atop the hill.
- Do carry your camera to capture bewildering shots from above.
- The ticket price for Funicular railway is RM 30.
- For children and students, the ticket is RM 15.
- Family packages, monthly packages are also available.
- 50% Discount for all categories after 7pm, Monday to Thursday except Friday, Saturday, School Holiday and Public Holiday.
- The timing for the train is 06:30 am to 10:00 pm on weekdays.
- The timing for the train is 06:30 am to 11:00 pm on weekends and public holidays.
- Bus No 1/10/91/21 and then the Funicular railway.
- Kasim Mustafa
- Nasi Kandar
Love this? Explore the entire list of things to do in Penang Hill before you plan your trip.
Fancy a good night's sleep after a tiring day? Check out where to stay in Penang Hill and book an accommodation of your choice.
95% of people who visit Penang Hill include Penang Hill in their plan
09 AM - 10 AM
57.91% of people start their Penang Hill visit around 09 AM - 10 AM
People usually take around 2 Hrs to see Penang Hill
91.21% of people prefer to travel by car while visiting Penang Hill
Way too touristy now. They built a new food center with about five different smoothie and dessert vendors on the lower floor. ABC and cut fresh fruits were enjoyable.
Take the funicular up the hill. Good way to spend one and a half hours. Misty until midday, so if you want clearer photos do it in the afternoon. Cooler up there. Good way to escape the afternoon heat.
The best place to get a view of Penang. You can ride a train or hike your way up to the top of the hill. There are different things to do on the hill such as visiting a botanical garden, coffee shops, and eating. Enjoy a fresh fruit juice while overlooking Penang. Come for a relaxing afternoon.
Nothing much to do at Penang Hill but walking around and enjoying the amazing scenery from 833 meters above sea level. It has Hindu temple, several food stalls, souvenir shops and spots for taking photo. You might want to check the weather forecast first before going. Because if it rains, you can’t see the city view since it will be cloudy or foggy. Despite of everything, I still recommend this place as a must visit place when in Penang.
Nice and chill. Good view of penang Island. Good view of night scenarios if you go up after 6pm.