Perth is Australia’s fastest growing city and the capital of the state of Western Australia. It falls between the Swan River and Darling scrap to the east and the Indian Ocean to the west. Although considered one of the most isolated major cities in the world, it is a treasure trove of attractions and activities for all who visit Perth.
Originally a British free settlers colony, Perth was named after the city of “Perth” in Scotland, which was home to Sir George Murray who was the British Colonial Secretary in the 1800s.
The mining of gold and subsequent discovery of other minerals found in the region became a major contributing factor to the economy of the city. This along with the city’s proximity to South East Asia and Africa led to an influx of migrants to the city after the Second World War.
Today, Perth has evolved from a small mining town to a major international city. The infrastructure and economy are booming. The city is experiencing major modernization and the once laid back culture has transformed into an energetic and vibrant one.
Perth tourism is growing in leaps and bounds and it is an ideal tourist destination if one wants a healthy mix of cosmopolitan city life, culture, history and outdoor activities away from the hustle and bustle of the bigger cities in Australia. The Central Business District (CBD) and its surrounding suburbs have much to offer any visitor. From world cuisine and trendy nightclubs, numerous riverside parks and outdoor activities, relaxed beaches and historical museums, a Perth vacation is a varied mix of activities and experiences.
Essential travel information and Perth tips for your visit
- Owing to Perth’s high temperatures and sunshine, it is essential to stay hydrated and carry a strong sun block lotion.
- Some areas like Northbridge can get a little troublesome on weekends due to overenthusiastic partygoers so it is advisable to be cautious.
- Public transport in the city is safe however when travelling at night trains are more advisable than buses.
- If taking a bus at night be sure to sit in the front, close to the driver.
- Avoid using ATMs in isolated areas or busy tourist spots as some devices have been known to be attached that can duplicate your information and misuse it.
- Driving in Perth can be alarming for tourists as traffic rules vary. For e.g. in Australia drivers are allowed to overtake from the inside lane.
- There have been some gang related incidents and racial incidents in Australia so it is best to have emergency numbers handy and to avoid secluded places at night.
Perth Trip Planner
Plan your customized day by day trip plan for Perth. Choose from various experinces categories as adventure, romantic and family and kids friendly for your trip using using Perth trip planner.
The best tours and activities in the city, guided by experts to give you a local insight to the best of Perth
Save 7%Pinnacles Sunset Stargazing Tour
11 Hrs18 Reviews
Save 10%Rottnest Island with Bike Hire from Perth or Fremantle
8 Hrs54 Reviews
Save 10%Swan Valley Tour from Perth: Wine, Beer and Chocolate Tastings
8 Hrs78 Reviews
Save 10%Rottnest Island Tour from Perth or Fremantle
8 Hrs76 Reviews
Save 7%Swan River Scenic Cruise
2 Hrs 45 Mins110 Reviews
Save 7%Swan Valley Gourmet Wine Cruise from Perth
7 Hrs230 Reviews